|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> "Waxing" a fifth wheel camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Well I am old fashion, hand polished and waxed our 32’ 5er, took about a week to get it all done. Turtle wax polish and Meguairs cleaner wax. Wax on wax off, strong arms.

Well ,as a good friend said to me about something I was doing " HAVE A GOOD TIME " Same to you, those days of wax on wax off are done for me [emoticon]

Guessing it takes me 20-30 minutes to do my truck, less on the car, 1-1/2- 2 hours on the fifth wheel . Just guessing again I could do all three from the sound of how long it takes you to your front cap on your fifth wheel [emoticon]

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

I have went to Wash Wax All , spray on wipe dry ,couldn't be easier , thats all I use now on the fifth wheel ,and our car ,and truck. Got away from Rejek, and all the rest. I get it from Amazon.

X2... Won't go back to the "old way"..

Same here , got better things to do with those hours it used to take. [emoticon]

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

I have went to Wash Wax All , spray on wipe dry ,couldn't be easier , thats all I use now on the fifth wheel ,and our car ,and truck. Got away from Rejek, and all the rest. I get it from Amazon.

X2... Won't go back to the "old way"..

I ordered this product recently as well as a result of a thread on here and WOW! I haven't had a chance to use it on my fiver yet, but I used it on my truck and was absolutely amazed at how well it worked. I will definitely be trying it on my fiver when I get it out of storage this spring.

I like the results on my fifth wheel also .

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone wants easy. Years of saltwater kept boats & now RV have taught me that easy & durable should not be used in the same sentence.

Lots of products remove grime & light chalking to produce a wonderful satisfying shine. Many of them are combination cleaner waxes. Typically they look good for a month or so & then the sun gets to the surface again & it needs redoing.

For durability you can't beat a product that is formulated to be a one purpose durable protectant. This is not easy. It is a three step process of wash, cleaner wax to get stains & chalking off, then protectant wax/sealer for a long lasting shine.

My preference is to do this process once a year except for the front cap, which takes a beating from acidic bugs hitting it at highway speeds. It gets a twice a year treatment.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Everyone wants easy. Years of saltwater kept boats & now RV have taught me that easy & durable should not be used in the same sentence.

Lots of products remove grime & light chalking to produce a wonderful satisfying shine. Many of them are combination cleaner waxes. Typically they look good for a month or so & then the sun gets to the surface again & it needs redoing.

For durability you can't beat a product that is formulated to be a one purpose durable protectant. This is not easy. It is a three step process of wash, cleaner wax to get stains & chalking off, then protectant wax/sealer for a long lasting shine.

My preference is to do this process once a year except for the front cap, which takes a beating from acidic bugs hitting it at highway speeds. It gets a twice a year treatment.

I don't deal with salt water ,nor salt air, and I know the results of the product being mentioned . I know the results you are talking about, do you really know the results of what we have mentioned . Of course its not going to last as long as some of these other waxes. I don't care , it works for me . At 73 ,yes I want it a bit easier I'm done with the wax on wax off . As said if someone wants to do it that way, I repeat have a good time . Just gives me extra time on the water fishing [emoticon]

No one is forcing anyone to use a certain product, I have used many many over the years with good results. A question was asked ,and given, and many use the product we have mentioned , works for many of us.

BillyandKris

Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

I don't deal with salt water ,nor salt air, and I know the results of the product being mentioned . I know the results you are talking about, do you really know the results of what we have mentioned . Of course its not going to last as long as some of these other waxes. I don't care , it works for me . At 73 ,yes I want it a bit easier I'm done with the wax on wax off . As said if someone wants to do it that way, I repeat have a good time . Just gives me extra time on the water fishing [emoticon]

No one is forcing anyone to use a certain product, I have used many many over the years with good results. A question was asked ,and given, and many use the product we have mentioned , works for many of us.

cummins2014: I am laughing, but I say THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Totally understand a quick/easy product may not be as good, but hey it works for us. My husband is also 73 and ENOUGH of climbing around on ladders not to mention dragging an extension cord with a buffer, etc. No salt water/air where we travel/live. We've done stuff the hard way long enough. Our camper is no longer new anyway so we'll just do something easy and will be certainly better than doing nothing to protect our camper. We're with you!!! Going to give the Wash Wax All a shot. You keep fishing and we'll keep hiking/biking and less time buffing things. Many Thanks to everyone for suggestions and advice.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyandKris wrote:

cummins2014: I am laughing, but I say THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Totally understand a quick/easy product may not be as good, but hey it works for us. My husband is also 73 and ENOUGH of climbing around on ladders not to mention dragging an extension cord with a buffer, etc. No salt water/air where we travel/live. We've done stuff the hard way long enough. Our camper is no longer new anyway so we'll just do something easy and will be certainly better than doing nothing to protect our camper. We're with you!!! Going to give the Wash Wax All a shot. You keep fishing and we'll keep hiking/biking and less time buffing things. Many Thanks to everyone for suggestions and advice.

Your welcome , I have no doubt there is better products, as said I have used them. But I am done with all that wax on wax off stuff . Give it a try .

* This post was edited 03/08/21 05:34pm by an administrator/moderator *

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Well I am old fashion, hand polished and waxed our 32’ 5er, took about a week to get it all done. Turtle wax polish and Meguairs cleaner wax. Wax on wax off, strong arms.

Veebyes wrote:

I am in agreement with you, just passed 70 and my body still works well, and keeping it working helps. I also like the results water still beads like the day I waxed it.
You don’t stay young sitting on your butt.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/21 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wash Wax All used here also.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I am in agreement with you, just passed 70 and my body still works well, and keeping it working helps. I also like the results water still beads like the day I waxed it.
You don’t stay young sitting on your butt.

Glad to hear you youngsters are keeping at it. I turned 88 in October and still try to take care of my 14 year old HitchHiker II. I have used the three stage kit from Meguiars. I focus on the front cap as the cost/benefit in terms of my energy compared with the results is far greater there.

Mequiars

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> "Waxing" a fifth wheel camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.