RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How long do you drive/tow in a day?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How long do you drive/tow in a day?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I always wonder about what I read on threads like this; Somebody drives a desk every day, then starts vacation thinks it's safe to drive 600+ miles
A professional starts getting ready to go. 14 hours later, he's done. It is against the law for him to drive. And out of that 14, only 11 can be driving.

well, DW can also drive and does share driving time if needed.

That said, 600 miles towing is longer than we have ever done. But we quite often do a 800 mile trip in one day, sharing driving. But that trip non towing is not as tiring as a 400 mile towing trip.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

chris3403

Jeffersonville, In

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in February we did 535 miles in one day but I don't recommend it. The 2nd day we did 407 miles before we finished up doing 228 miles on the 3rd day. We are both 72.
We've done the route many times and knew where we were going and what to expect when we got there.
Normally though we break the trip up like: 228 the first day, 258 the 2nd day, 394 the 3rd day and finally the last day is 276 miles.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is strange is who starts a thread like this?
Are you trying to pattern your habits from others? Are you looking for reassurance that what you’re doing is “ok?”
Have you never in your (presumably) many years of driving, taken a road trip and don’t know remotely what to expect?

In the world of subjectivity, this one is right up there with “what oil should I use?”

And with that, the answer is “depends.” Anywhere from 100 to 1000 miles a day, just depends.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Mel Stuplich

Wausau, WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somewhere between 1 and 11 hours ... depending on our final destination and the time available.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

I always wonder about what I read on threads like this; Somebody drives a desk every day, then starts vacation thinks it's safe to drive 600+ miles
A professional starts getting ready to go. 14 hours later, he's done. It is against the law for him to drive. And out of that 14, only 11 can be driving.

well, DW can also drive and does share driving time if needed.

That said, 600 miles towing is longer than we have ever done. But we quite often do a 800 mile trip in one day, sharing driving. But that trip non towing is not as tiring as a 400 mile towing trip.

I understand the safety rules that professionals live by do not apply to RVers. But if a pro is in the truck, will take over the driving she must swear that she spent 10 hours in the sleeper while you are driving.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know Scooby I don't give a rats a$$ what a "professional" driver does. I know how many miles I have driven, how many accidents I have had, how many tickets I have had, and how many times I have ducked the professionals in my life....I think I am good to go.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not keep it civil?

My wife and I leave southwestern Wisconsin at 3:00am (central time) and drive to the Badlands on our first day. That is a 650 mile day. We get to the campground at 3:00pm (mtn time) We stop every 3 hours to walk around for 10 minutes. We do it because we want to get to the Badlands on our first day. On the way home, we travel shorter days. While we are on the road, most days are 300 miles.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“You know Scooby I don't give a rats a$$ what a "professional" driver does.”

How does contribute to the conversation? No need to be nasty.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two distance records. One about 25 miles and one 700+. Now that we have time, 200 or until we get tired is about it.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see from the reply’s that many here won’t have a problem adapting to RVing with an EV 1/2 ton towing a suitable trailer. Many seem laid back with their travels. And those only travelling a few hundred kilometers a day wouldn’t even have to stop to charge. Very occasionally we dead head 500 or 600 kilometers or maybe a little more. But most of the time we are just touring and enjoying the various parks and attractions. We would love to take a month and take the ocean side route from Vancouver to San Diego again. Maybe in a couple or three years.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How long do you drive/tow in a day?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.