RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How long do you drive/tow in a day?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How long do you drive/tow in a day?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

Amen! It seems that some people are just plain ornery and snap at nice folks, just like a junkyard dog.

Pot meet kettle.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ronharmless

The far side

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

...Well I have made the argument for decades as a adult I should be able to decide for myself when I was tired...
Well The OP and the rest of the people on this post also have the ability to decide for themselves when they are tired and how many drivers they have - regardless of your diatribe karen

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ronharmless wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

...Well I have made the argument for decades as a adult I should be able to decide for myself when I was tired...
Well The OP and the rest of the people on this post also have the ability to decide for themselves when they are tired and how many drivers they have - regardless of your diatribe karen

I don't think I have told anybody how many hours they should drive. I have told what the legal limits are for a pro. And I freely admit that when I was young I often ran way beyond the legal limits. (and a couple of times the last year I worked I would stretch the daily limit) But a few times running close to the daily limit a few days in a row, I would find myself making quick lane changes, or even sliding trailer tires. When this happened, total up the hours. Add in the day log book says no work, but really spent the day on a dozer, and wow, I'm over on hours. Happened often enough that I know that it is much safer for me to spend a extra day traveling.
But then again, I have put down enough millions of miles without killing anybody I don't want to start now

Timmo!

FYJB! Yep, FYJB!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

Amen! It seems that some people are just plain ornery and snap at nice folks, just like a junkyard dog.

Pot meet kettle.

Troll alert!

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

Pot meet kettle.

Troll alert!

Lol, is a junkyard dog, and a Gt dg, one and the same?

Yup, pot calling the kettle black! [emoticon]

A "troll" is not always a bad person, but just stirs the pot!

Jerry

Timmo!

FYJB! Yep, FYJB!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

Pot meet kettle.

Troll alert!

Lol, is a junkyard dog, and a Gt dg, one and the same?

Yup, pot calling the kettle black! [emoticon]

A "troll" is not always a bad person, but just stirs the pot!

Jerry

Jerry, let me help you---it has nothing about being good or bad. It is all about being a fool that likes to attack others--for their pure amusement. It is about someone that makes false claims so they can find support to their faulty narrative...then, accuse others of doing exactly what they just did.

Definition of troll:

A person who intentionally antagonizes others online by posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content.

If someone makes a claim, then is unable to support it with facts or examples, then I say that person is "all hat, no cowboy".

In this instance Grit made several claims in other threads, and is unable to provide facts or examples in his support. So, when Grit was unable to back up his words with facts, and follows me to other threads (including this one) and makes a direct attack. I say we have a troll among us.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksbowman wrote:

When we go on long trips like Florida I try to do 10 hour days. Usually that is 2 ten hour days and then the last is about 7-8 hours. I have done a marathon of 16 1/2 hours once but, swear that won't happen again.

Hahaha. I hear ya! I made a 13 hour drive from Orlando to Baton Rouge when I was 19 years old. I slept for 13 hours when I got there. Learned that nasty lesson early! A 67 VW micro bus is reallllyy slow!
I wanted to get home BAD!!! Lol

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most I've towed is 714 miles from New Orleans to Louisville. We had planned two shorter days but just decided to do it in one and have a extra day to relax before a dog show we were attending.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

akcorr wrote:

Just wondering how long you all drive in a day? My wife and I leaning towards a hard fast rule of 8 hours a day at the most.

akcorr Welcome to the forum!

I'm 58, 20 years ago 8+ hrs and 400 miles was very doable. Now I try to keep my mileage at 200 to 300 miles or about 6hrs travels as I tire more easily

You will find traffic getting out and getting back to New England sometimes difficult and time consuming. One unexpected accident or construction/road repair can translate to many hrs of gridlock. Over the years I have come to find leaving weekends or after morning rush hour works the best but... traffic will still be heavy just relatively less.

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors.

hornet28

Muskegon Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO a lot depends on the vehicles comfort and capability, the drivers experience/confidence. Is the drive a white knuckle thing or a relaxed and enjoyable drive. A very capable vehicle vs a underpowered over loaded vehicle is night and day difference for pleasurable travel. Longest single day travel pulling about 750 mi longest no pulling just over 1200 and 19 hrs. That 1200 mi run I was 65 and traveling alone. I'm now 77

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How long do you drive/tow in a day?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.