RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Geewizard

WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert the Welder wrote:

KKELLER14K wrote:

Just wait for it....SpaceX has been putting hundreds of communication satellites in orbit to create a globle network that will be unobstructed. It will be a game changer in communication.

Unless your under trees, tall building or if a flock of birds fly over. [emoticon] Maybe that will resolve when they have more up, but the reviews I've seen on the Beta's that have been sent out, have had some of the above cause issue.

Ah,no. I use a GPS antenna in my basement with window wells across the room. There is no direct line-of-site to the sky at all. It works great. Radio frequencies like GPS and cellphones bounce around and get everywhere. Same with SpaceX.

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
2 Fullriver 100AH AGM batteries
Compressor fridge
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Zoleo uses the Iridium Sats and I haven't had any issues in the truck camper or house,just being by a window works..

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only get away during summer months, and thinking of exploring some isolated forest road boondocking possibilities in Colorado this July. My wife would feel better knowing I'm okay, and some of these places are likely to have no cell coverage. So I've done a bunch of research. Zoleo looks good, but that $4/month while inactive does add up. My search came down to two top candidates for low user fees (lower than Zoleo for my usage pattern of 2-3 months on, 9-10 months off). They are the Somewear Global Hotspot and the BivyStick Blue. Pausing is free with either of these. Bivy's low end plan is $18/month and doesn't even have an activation fee. But I'm leaning toward the Somewear, which is $15/mo and a $25 one-time activation. Although they're almost a toss-up, I like the 'smart routing' feature... Somewear can sense if there's cell signal or wifi and will default to those whenever it can. The Somewear unit is about $70 less than the Bivy. It lacks the 'preset message send' button that the Bivy unit possesses, but Somewear makes up for it by having no character limit on outgoing messages (BivyStick has a 160 character limit). Although, the present messages on the Bivy are free (they are not counted toward the number of actions covered by the fee).

So, for 2 months on & 10 off, the Somewear should cost $30/year to run, versus $36/year for Bivy and $80/year for the Zoleo.

The common type, user-replaceable battery of the Spot Gen4 tempted me greatly, but it sends a weaker signal to a less-advantageous satellite group, and it can't receive messages, nor does it tell the user in any way if outgoing messages were successfully sent!

Garmin... meh, don't get me started. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/01/21 09:32pm by rexlion *

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To each his own on sat messaging..I looked at all of them and chose Zoleo because of the plans..$35 for 250 messages,none of the others come close..Somewear is $30 for 75 messages and Bivy is $39.99 (100 credits)/messages..Each incoming and outgoing message counts so there plans just would not work for me or especially the wife if she is with me..

I also use my Zoleo year around as where I live,seven miles out of town in most directions there is no cell service..Most everywhere I go there is not any cell service or very poor service...

Cannon George

Ojai, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/21 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SAT Messaging is great; for those set up with it.

I want to suggest an alternative; use of Ham Radio frequencies and use of APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System). I travel frequently off-road out of cell phone range. But I may still be able to "hit" an APRS repeater and send short SMS (text) messages or even short Text Messages via Email to loved ones.

You need to get an FCC license (even with Covid, this is not that complicated); and a 2M radio.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got the routine down a few years back, so nowadays not much need for chit chat....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.