RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Water Filter Cartridge Replacement

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water Filter Cartridge Replacement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A micron is one millionth of a meter. The micron rating of a filter is the maximum size diameter particle which can can pass through it. So, a 5 micron filter allows particles 10 times as large to pass as does a .5 micron filter.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

I'm not really sure what a micron is. Is it a two-dimensional measurement? If so, then you're correct about 0.5 being 10 times better (smaller) than 5. But if a micron is a one-dimensional measurement, an opening has both length and width. So, assuming a square space, if the length of the space is 0.5 microns compared to a length of 5 microns, the difference in the 2-dimensional size of the opening is actually 100 times bigger with a 5 micron space than a 0.5 micron space.

It's more complicated than that.

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

SpeakEasy wrote:

I'm not really sure what a micron is. Is it a two-dimensional measurement? If so, then you're correct about 0.5 being 10 times better (smaller) than 5. But if a micron is a one-dimensional measurement, an opening has both length and width. So, assuming a square space, if the length of the space is 0.5 microns compared to a length of 5 microns, the difference in the 2-dimensional size of the opening is actually 100 times bigger with a 5 micron space than a 0.5 micron space.

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge.

Well now...put this way, it is easy to understand!

Jerry

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Well now...put this way, it is easy to understand!

Jerry

[emoticon]

I wish I could take credit for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If3SXJeZzMQ

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shaking my head.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

markchengr wrote:

A micron is one millionth of a meter. The micron rating of a filter is the maximum size diameter particle which can can pass through it. So, a 5 micron filter allows particles 10 times as large to pass as does a .5 micron filter.

So you answered my question about what a micron is. Thank you!

But you ignored the rest of what I wrote.

That's OK. It happens.

-Speak

* This post was edited 03/12/21 05:38pm by SpeakEasy *

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here’s the WaterPur one on Amazon. Price is $37.42.

Here’s an “off-brand.” Price is $35.92 for TWO of them!

Both claim to filter 10,000 gallons per year, but I don’t know if that matters. The cheaper one claims to allow a 1 gallon-per-minute flow. The WaterPur says it has a 2.5 gallon-per-minute flow. That suggests to me that the competitor has “better” filtration, but that it may stress the pump. The WaterPur one is 5 microns, according to the WaterPur website, but the competitor doesn’t give its pore size.

As to the suggestion of picking up a filter cartridge at a home center, I haven’t found the right size cartridge in those places. If the cartridge doesn’t fit tightly into the canister, with O-rings that seal it in, then water just bypasses the filter cartridge and you aren’t getting any benefit from it at all.

-Speak

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

Here’s the WaterPur one on Amazon. Price is $37.42.

Here’s an “off-brand.” Price is $35.92 for TWO of them!

Both claim to filter 10,000 gallons per year, but I don’t know if that matters. The cheaper one claims to allow a 1 gallon-per-minute flow. The WaterPur says it has a 2.5 gallon-per-minute flow. That suggests to me that the competitor has “better” filtration, but that it may stress the pump. The WaterPur one is 5 microns, according to the WaterPur website, but the competitor doesn’t give its pore size.

As to the suggestion of picking up a filter cartridge at a home center, I haven’t found the right size cartridge in those places. If the cartridge doesn’t fit tightly into the canister, with O-rings that seal it in, then water just bypasses the filter cartridge and you aren’t getting any benefit from it at all.

-Speak

The .5 micron filter that I looked up said that there was a 2.5 psi drop with that filter. Not really significant in my opinion.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To clear up my earlier comment...

A 0.5 micron filter is actually 100 times smaller than a 5 micron filter. Here's why:

A 2x2 square has 4 square units.
A 3x3 square has 9 square units.
A 4x4 square has 16 square units.
etc

So... 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25 and 5 x 5 = 25

25 divided by 0.25 = 100.

-Speak

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/21 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

SpeakEasy wrote:

I just use those replaceable blue inline Filters [emoticon]

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 210K"

Where we have camped

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water Filter Cartridge Replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.