RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Heavy tongue weight - change from PP 3P?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Heavy tongue weight - change from PP 3P?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/12/21 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Higher hitch weight is almost always better.

Where people get in trouble is they try to take a light duty (low payload) 1/2 ton and then get caught between keeping within the payload but above 10% hitch weight.

With a 3/4 ton, it should be able to handle a 1200lb hitch weight no problem.

5th wheels are some of the nicest towing trailers and run 20-25% hitch weight with no fancy hitches. Semi's are commonly at 50% or higher.

Unless you are having sway or other handling issues, run with it.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/12/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a F250 and all that tongue weight sway will never be a problem. I would sell that heavy aggravating hitch, get something basic and pocket some cash.





Andrewmart

Texas

New Member

Joined: 06/05/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/12/21 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Higher hitch weight is almost always better.

Where people get in trouble is they try to take a light duty (low payload) 1/2 ton and then get caught between keeping within the payload but above 10% hitch weight.

With a 3/4 ton, it should be able to handle a 1200lb hitch weight no problem.

5th wheels are some of the nicest towing trailers and run 20-25% hitch weight with no fancy hitches. Semi's are commonly at 50% or higher.

Unless you are having sway or other handling issues, run with it.


I haven't had any swaying problems with it but yesterday I was towing and getting pushed all around. Weather app said wind gusts were up to 25mph. I think more... My wife was in her expedition and also getting pushed around. It's the most I've felt the RV since I got the F250. I know there is nothing I could do to stop the crazy wind hitting our 33 foot long wind sail, but wondered if me being too hitch heavy contributed. Google says too heavy hitch can cause TV steering problems. It wasn't necessity swaying, it was more getting pushed around out there with each gust. In between gusts or when highway changed to head wind, I had no problems.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 07/26/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/12/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andrewmart wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Higher hitch weight is almost always better.

Where people get in trouble is they try to take a light duty (low payload) 1/2 ton and then get caught between keeping within the payload but above 10% hitch weight.

With a 3/4 ton, it should be able to handle a 1200lb hitch weight no problem.

5th wheels are some of the nicest towing trailers and run 20-25% hitch weight with no fancy hitches. Semi's are commonly at 50% or higher.

Unless you are having sway or other handling issues, run with it.


I haven't had any swaying problems with it but yesterday I was towing and getting pushed all around. Weather app said wind gusts were up to 25mph. I think more... My wife was in her expedition and also getting pushed around. It's the most I've felt the RV since I got the F250. I know there is nothing I could do to stop the crazy wind hitting our 33 foot long wind sail, but wondered if me being too hitch heavy contributed. Google says too heavy hitch can cause TV steering problems. It wasn't necessity swaying, it was more getting pushed around out there with each gust. In between gusts or when highway changed to head wind, I had no problems.


Too heavy of a tongue weight can cause steering problems if weight is removed from the steer axle. This is what WD hitches are for. Tensioning up the bars distributes some of that tongue weight back to the front axle. Your F250 should be able to handle 1200lbs of tongue weight without a wd hitch but you could improve the tow by making sure your hitch is adjusted properly and transferring enough weight.


'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley


Andrewmart

Texas

New Member

Joined: 06/05/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/12/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I checked my TV w/ and w/o the PP WDH on last year, and I return all but about .5 inches of height w/ the WDH. My Cat scales reading yesterday shows I return 260 lbs back to the front axles, which is 50% of the weight back on. So I think I have it dialed in pretty good. I'll remeasure this upcoming week and make sure everything is good.

I think yesterday's being pushed around was all due to wind gusts. I just wanted to make sure I was not contributing by having a heavy hitch weight.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/12/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andrewmart wrote:

I checked my TV w/ and w/o the PP WDH on last year, and I return all but about .5 inches of height w/ the WDH. My Cat scales reading yesterday shows I return 260 lbs back to the front axles, which is 50% of the weight back on. So I think I have it dialed in pretty good. I'll remeasure this upcoming week and make sure everything is good.

I think yesterday's being pushed around was all due to wind gusts. I just wanted to make sure I was not contributing by having a heavy hitch weight.


Nope, just sounds like it was windy out.
Quick question since I'm not saavy with wdh's. Why couldn't one just (in general) drop the trailer on and pull forward a bit to square up before hooking up, if not being perfectly parallel to the trailer is an issue?


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

Senior Member

Joined: 08/06/2002

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/12/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the Hensley (actually still have it} and it was more trouble than it was worth. I have the 3 point Equalizer now and it is very easy to hook up and does as good a job as the Hensley that is sitting in my garage


samsontdog">">

goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/12/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an HA as well and it was a bugger to hitch up sometimes. It was always a PITA trying to hitch in my driveway. When backing up to the TT the rear of the truck was down and so was the tongue. It made a 'V'. I had to make 4-5 tries because every time I back up I had to raise the tongue a 1/2" or so. Rinse repeat.

Once hitched up it was great. Then there were those times dry camping when the trucks tilted and rear up or down and vice versa on the TT.
Or the times when you get the 'Bump'

noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 03/12/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The key to hitching with a ProPride is to have no audience or "help".

I was camped way out dere in the desert one time. I goes to hitch up and carefully back in to get close (old truck no camera) and get out and look.

I backs in and "bump"... I'm like, "Dammit!" I get out and look and I had backed in perfectly - the bump was the draw bar engage... manual trans so truck stays put when you set the brakes... It was so perfect I closed the latches by hand. I'm like "WHY didn't I video this!" Annyways...

Fast fwd two weeks to RV park, with 4 or 5 observers.... flat concrete pull through about 70feet long. I must have made 6 or 8 tries ....

Rvinnewbury

SoCal

New Member

Joined: 05/26/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/12/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same hook up issues when I had my 3P. If did tow great with my 31ft trailer and 1/2t truck. When I got my 1t I towed with it and decided it wasn't worth the headache of hooking it up anymore and went to an Andersen. Basically it comes down to do you mind hooking it up, the weight shouldn't be an issue with your current truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Heavy tongue weight - change from PP 3P?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.