|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Indoor cat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never taken cat on RV trip but may have to. She is scared to go out and prefers inside. She likes to run from one side of house to the next and that is her exercise. In a small camper what do you do with an inside cat? Is the cat happy? I could leash her and take for a walk, but still most of her day would be inside. she sleeps most of the time but Im concerned of the small space... How do cats do?

* This post was edited 03/14/21 07:26pm by an administrator/moderator *

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cat will be fine. Just be sure it is in your arms or in crate when extending or retracting slides.

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in a motorhome. Our cat hides under the recliner/sofa when we are traveling and no doubt sleeping. When we park she hops up on the dash and will lay there for hours just watching what is going on outside.

If you are in a trailer or camper I would suggest having some kind of shelf or area where your cat can lie down and look out a window. They seem to be very content doing that.

We do put our cat on a harness and leash occasionally and take her for short walks, but she is usually happy just being able to look out the window.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the cat. Our cats were great! [emoticon]

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Just be sure it is in your arms or in crate when extending or retracting slides.

Double ditto. Be careful going in and out of the RV too. We had a cat like yours who decided to bolt out of the door as soon as we opened it. We did eventually capture him but it was a tough go there.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We initially take our cats for rides in the car whenever possible. After a month they've settled down and are travelers errr sleepers in the RV while moving.

And yes they train us to be very aware of them when we go in/out.

When moving we keep a 6' red leash on them so that we know exactly where they are when stopped and operating slides. And it helps to thwart their escape plans.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you posted in 'Dogs'

She may get very curious to go out when camping. Go for a walk with your kitty. She may love that.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've stepped on her many times from darting under my feet, closed her in the door once from darting.
She hates everybody, is a scardy cat, scared of everything...
I once tried sleeping in the camper with her and she went crazy all night, never stopped pacing and whining.
She would need to be on a leash a lot, even inside. If she escapes Im afraid she goes and hides and I dont find her until she feels safe and on her on comes back.
She is terrified just going in the yard, so not sure about walks. The brother cat attacks her if he sees her so that is her fear of outside.
I'm just worried, what her life would be cooped up in a small space

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

If she escapes Im afraid she goes and hides and I dont find her until she feels safe and on her on comes back.
Yes, that can happen. My cat likes culverts, which I discovered when trying to find her to leave. She was fast asleep in one. That's about the only time I've actually been able to find her. When they don't want to be found, you won't find them.

Kinda sounds like your kitty wouldn't make the best camper - really nervous and afraid. Perhaps without the brother cat she'd be ok. Is she young?

It's taken a couple years of "training" to take walks with Zia, but now she really enjoys it.

Felicity

Boston

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/21 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our cats are always great. We travel with them everywhere, they are very curious and friendly. I recommend that you carefully monitor their health and safety. Therefore, we always choose the best flea collars for cats (we chose from the list of ***Link Removed***the best flea collars) because fleas can be a real pain in the neck when traveling.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Indoor cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.