|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> If you are from Texas...Cybertruck can power a house

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Here is the battery tech that GM hopes to use.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/the-sma........d/the-return-of-the-lithiummetal-battery

YS, If your employer allows free charging at work....your plan might be a "GO".

That said, in Regina, there are 37 level 2 chargers that are totally free.

I'm curious--do folks with EV's plug in each and every day? (I would be doing so because my access would be level 1.)

My consumption is about 110 kwh per month. The cost of the power is about $14. My bill is a little less than $45 per month. Talk about being penalized for conservation! Effectively, I'm paying $0.45 per kwh.

If we are parked outside in winter we plug in everyday just so the pre heat doesn’t draw from the battery. Otherwise we tend to plug in once or twice a week or when the battery falls below 50 percent. We tend to only charge to about 80 or 90 percent. 100 percent before toad trips...which were seldom during Covid but getting more common now. Woohoo.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This isn't a power the house question - "but"

I just did some work with a 2006 Dodge diesel pickup and goose neck flatbed. Due to the off road and back road nature of the work "miles" are not the same as highway.

A machine was moved to the location and back after the work. 2 loads.
10 loads of 8 tons +/- each of bales were moved in 2 mornings. GCW would be about 30,500lbs each trip. Don't panic this truck has done this kind of work for years.

In about 12 hours of hauling totalling 280 miles the truck used 60 USgals of diesel.

Let's say a BE "1 ton" 4x4 existed to compare, one with 300 ish hp like the Dodge.

Could it do this work in two 6 hour days, with an overnight charge - 12 trips at 30,500lbs.

I'm not sure how to convert 5 gals per hour of diesel fuel used into kwhr of BEV range...

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

I just did some work with a 2006 Dodge diesel pickup and goose neck flatbed. Due to the off road and back road nature of the work "miles" are not the same as highway.

10 loads of 8 tons +/- each of bales were moved in 2 mornings. GCW would be about 30,500lbs each trip. Don't panic this truck has done this kind of work for years.

In about 12 hours of hauling totalling 280 miles the truck used 60 USgals of diesel.

Let's say a BE "1 ton" 4x4 existed to compare, one with 300 ish hp like the Dodge.

Could it do this work in two 6 hour days, with an overnight charge - 12 trips at 30,500lbs.

I'm not sure how to convert 5 gals per hour of diesel fuel used into kwhr of BEV range...

No idea. But there are people on this board much smarter than me that I know can figure it out. I’m just an EV driver.

Currently I don’t know any company that builds EV’s even considering building anything like a pickup that could do that. There are at least 5 companies with EV trucks in either pre-production or concept status but they are all half tons. My guess is it will be a few years before we see anyone working on something like a diesel dually. My wife has a reservation for a cybertruck but the towing capacity is no where near even half that. I think it’s 12500 pounds but not sure. Your truck is a brute. That’s a whack load of weight.

Jmho.

Not an expert.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to be a specialized vehicle.

Largest is 110 ton dumptruck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qlwplwfvr8&t=12s

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

+of+diesel+oil/to/kilowatt-hour]https://........on+[U.S.]+of+diesel+oil/to/kilowatt-hour

So 5 gallons per hour = 203.5 kwh

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

It's really hard to say for sure, because real world data on existing commercial EVs is hard to find. Navistary has a prototype commercial medium duty electric truck with a 312 KWH battery, claiming a range of up to 250 miles. 30K GCW should be well within the capacity of this platform, although the article does not say what the truck's weight capacity is. I would think that a truck with this drivetrain and battery could do this job, especially in a two day period. The Cybertruck Trimotor has a 200 kwh battery, and while 30K GCW is well over its rated capacity, it would likely easily move that kind of load unless protective software prevents it. With the 200 kwh battery, though, it might not have the capacity to do that job, even over a two day period. The fact that this job caused a Cummins powered Dodge to only get 4 mpg says that a lot of work was getting done. An electric truck could gain some efficiency if there is a lot of stop and go driving as compared to highway driving. IMO commercial EVs will excel at short haul and delivery applications but will struggle to be as productive as diesel trucks in over the road applications, at least until battery technology advances. If a semi with a 1 mwh battery is ever built with no weight penalty compared to a diesel semi it will be a close call. I think some day it will.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

noteven wrote:

+of+diesel+oil/to/kilowatt-hour]https://........on+[U.S.]+of+diesel+oil/to/kilowatt-hour

That's only accurate if your engine is 100% efficient. The most efficient real world diesel engines reach around 45% peak efficiency, so it's closer to 91 KWh per 5 gallons of diesel.

But power out the driveshaft isn't power to the wheels, so you can't really compare isolated components like this. The only real way to compare is to look at real world energy put into the battery versus gallons put into the fuel tank.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

noteven wrote:

That's only accurate if your engine is 100% efficient. The most efficient real world diesel engines reach around 45% peak efficiency, so it's closer to 91 KWh per 5 gallons of diesel.

But power out the driveshaft isn't power to the wheels, so you can't really compare isolated components like this. The only real way to compare is to look at real world energy put into the battery versus gallons put into the fuel tank.

It is also true that electric vehicles have maximum torque at zero RPM so a much smaller motor would be needed. I've not got any idea just what the multiplier should be.

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/21 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

...Ugh. I wonder if it will be another Nikola.

I think the race to production will be won by Rivian followed by TESLA...or maybe ford.

Time will tell.

Jmho.

I suspect Tusk would have been exposed the same way! Where are the semi's with those deposits? Or the model 3's? Seems they may have mislead investors as well.

And you keep forgetting an electric truck. The GMC Hummer will be this fall. There are more sightings of real GMC Hummer than another brands semi and pickup combined. Might as well make that three specific companies combined.

I really think that you get paid for the number of times you get E man or his T company posted in the public. You are really careful to never mention gm, the company that will have 30 electric vehicles globally by 2025, and actually shares it actual deliveries by countries.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Reisender wrote:

...Ugh. I wonder if it will be another Nikola.

I think the race to production will be won by Rivian followed by TESLA...or maybe ford.

Time will tell.

Jmho.

I suspect Tusk would have been exposed the same way! Where are the semi's with those deposits? Or the model 3's? Seems they may have mislead investors as well.

And you keep forgetting an electric truck. The GMC Hummer will be this fall. There are more sightings of real GMC Hummer than another brands semi and pickup combined. Might as well make that three specific companies combined.

I really think that you get paid for the number of times you get E man or his T company posted in the public. You are really careful to never mention gm, the company that will have 30 electric vehicles globally by 2025, and actually shares it actual deliveries by countries.

I have nothing against GM. I have personally had bad luck with them but others seem to do well with them. The Bolt is a nice little car and should do well with it’s price drop and new revision.

I quite honestly never remember the Hummer when it comes to trucks because I forget that there is a truck version. I don’t know what their projected date of production is. Do you?

GM looks like they are getting serious about EV’s. Hopefully the dealers do the same. Without the dealers on board it will not go well. I believe the dealers are the reason the bolt has had such dismal sales. There are still 2019’s on lots here.

I didn’t understand your comment on deposits and model 3’s or semis.

Cheers.

* This post was edited 03/15/21 08:02am by Reisender *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> If you are from Texas...Cybertruck can power a house
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.