RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Breakaway Cable on Andersen Hitch.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Breakaway Cable on Andersen Hitch.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Njmurvin wrote:

I hook mine with a carabiner to a cargo tie down hook at the rear of the bed of my truck.

That is a bad idea - you need the brakes on the trailer to initiate before you hit the end of your chains. The chains should be just a hair longer than the breakaway cable. You also want the tongue of the trailer to stay in the bed, not fall to the ground. You should do a little research on this before you get in an accident.

I don't have an Anderson hitch, but on my gooseneck, the safety chains and breakaway cable have a ring that is attached to the frame on either side of the ball.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Njmurvin wrote:

I hook mine with a carabiner to a cargo tie down hook at the rear of the bed of my truck.

That is a bad idea - you need the brakes on the trailer to initiate before you hit the end of your chains. The chains should be just a hair longer than the breakaway cable. You also want the tongue of the trailer to stay in the bed, not fall to the ground. You should do a little research on this before you get in an accident.

I don't have an Anderson hitch, but on my gooseneck, the safety chains and breakaway cable have a ring that is attached to the frame on either side of the ball.

I would prefer the breakaway be attached to the truck bed and not anything on the hitch.

Also I do not believe the Anderson hitches require safety chains.

If you have a hitch failure such as happened to a standard type 5th wheel hitch where the hitch head separated from the truck and had the breakaway been attached to the head the breakaway may not be activated.

If the length of the breakaway cable is shortened such it will activate before the end of the safety chains if used should be OK.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/21 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

Njmurvin wrote:

I would prefer the breakaway be attached to the truck bed and not anything on the hitch.

Also I do not believe the Anderson hitches require safety chains.

If you have a hitch failure such as happened to a standard type 5th wheel hitch where the hitch head separated from the truck and had the breakaway been attached to the head the breakaway may not be activated.

If the length of the breakaway cable is shortened such it will activate before the end of the safety chains if used should be OK.

Safety Chains are required for the Anderson Hitch as it is considered a Gooseneck connection - ball.

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Safety Chains are required for the Anderson Hitch as it is considered a Gooseneck connection - ball.

This from Andersen's website ....

"This is kind of a grey area. We were tested as a fifth wheel hitch and are approved as a fifth wheel hitch. According to DOT regulations because it is a fifth wheel hitch we does not need safety chains. However we do utilize a gooseneck ball to secure the fifth wheel hitch into place creating a solid base with no moving points. On conventional gooseneck trailers chains are required due to the latching mechanism on the gooseneck trailer. The Andersen Ultimate Connection does not utilize a latch nor does it pivot at the point of the ball. Our unconventional setup is much like the OEM puck system that is utilized to accept fifth wheel hitches sold in the newer trucks today. Unfortunately it is up to the DOT office to interpret the regulations and laws. We have only heard of one case, out of the 35,000 units that we have on the road today, where the DOT officer insisted on having the customer add safety chains to his setup. For this reason we do offer safety chains (part # 3230) for our Ultimate Connection."

For the record, I prefer not to have a conversation with LE on the matter. So, I use safety chains.

* This post was edited 03/21/21 07:21pm by an administrator/moderator *

2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all states even require safety chains for a GN type hitch. All the years and over a million miles I towed GN trailers for a living all my GN trailers had chains and I and all my drivers used them. I've had and I've seen GN trailers forced off the ball around worksites and out in pastures.....and I do not want my trailers brakes applied while the chains are still hooked....on any trailer. Thats a good way to loose control when the trailer brakes fully engaged especially at highway speeds. I want to control how and when brakes are applied.

All my pintle/bumper pull and GN (pin and ball type) trailers breakaway systems were set up to work only when the trailer breaks away from the tow vehicle. Then full the brakes get the full amps.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to rethink your logic on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phdr8v3D-Cg&ab_channel=KTVB

I actually think all trailers should have safety chains. I have always been surprised that a 5th wheel hitch does not have safety chains. Seems illogical to me.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your replying to me you need to read what I said. I have/had and always have used safety chains on all my ball/pintle hitch trailers.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Njmurvin wrote:

X2

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

You might want to rethink your logic on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phdr8v3D-Cg&ab_channel=KTVB

I actually think all trailers should have safety chains. I have always been surprised that a 5th wheel hitch does not have safety chains. Seems illogical to me.

I've never seen chains on a fifth wheel in California as they're not required in California. Can't hurt anything to add them imo

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

If your replying to me you need to read what I said. I have/had and always have used safety chains on all my ball/pintle hitch trailers.

Your comment "and I do not want my trailers brakes applied while the chains are still hooked." is why I attached that video. The chains will stay attached to the truck and trailer, you need the brakes applied to stop the trailer when attached to the truck. The chains are not going to brake away from the truck, then the trailer brakes are going to engage. You need the brakes engaging before it hits the end of the chains... period...

This has never happened to me - knock on wood - but from my experience and seeing how you are supposed to set up your trailer, regardless of the trailer hitch type, if you have chains, the brake cable is shorter than the chains.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Breakaway Cable on Andersen Hitch.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.