|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire life

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
b_pilot

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a fifth wheel with Goodyear G614 G rated tires. They still have very good tread and still look good but they were made in the 19th week of 2014. I read that you can go between 6 to ten years. I know there will be many different opinions on this but I would like to hear some. Thanks.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Six to ten years is too long for my peace of mind. I go four to five. Looking good isn’t the deciding factor. Even according to what you’ve read, it’s time.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just like all tires not being equal, so is the care that the tires receive. If a quality tire, such as yours, is well cared for a 6-10 yr life IMO is accurate. With fair amount of care 6 years, and excellent care closer to 10 yrs. Tire life can vary due to inflation practices, storage surfaces when not in use, parked in sun, parked/standing long term, hitting curbs and potholes, overloading, or too high of speed.

You know more how they have been treated, than anyone here. If you feel they've had excellent care, I'd trust them another year or two.

Jerry

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what they look like, but, for real good peace of mind I'd get a TPMS.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Just like all tires not being equal, so is the care that the tires receive. If a quality tire, such as yours, is well cared for a 6-10 yr life IMO is accurate. With fair amount of care 6 years, and excellent care closer to 10 yrs. Tire life can vary due to inflation practices, storage surfaces when not in use, parked in sun, parked/standing long term, hitting curbs and potholes, overloading, or too high of speed.

You know more how they have been treated, than anyone here. If you feel they've had excellent care, I'd trust them another year or two.

Jerry

I agree. Check the valve stems for cracking to. I overlooked quite often.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you’ve kept them clean, proper pressure, used the unit fairly frequently they may good for a while longer. If it’s used once or twice every now and then and sitting for long periods of time, get them professionally inspected. The the worst thing you can do to any RV/Tire is to let it just sit.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6 years MAX

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

b_pilot wrote:

I have a fifth wheel with Goodyear G614 G rated tires. They still have very good tread and still look good but they were made in the 19th week of 2014. I read that you can go between 6 to ten years. I know there will be many different opinions on this but I would like to hear some. Thanks.

A lot depends on how much of a risktaker you are and if you have a good Roadside Emergency Service. Another variable is what kind of RV trips you take and how often. Long trips .ie 1K to 5K 2 or more times a year. Short trips 500 miles or less. Are you ok dealing with possible damages to your RV from a blowout? As they say, "roll the dice and take your chances" I used the G614 Good Year tires for years and used to get new tires about every 5 to 6 yrs.

* This post was edited 03/14/21 09:01am by MarkTwain *

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was running the GY 17.5" G114s and was hoping for 5 years, but one let loose at 4 1/2 years. Always run at correct pressure with the TST 507 TPMS and every thing was normal till BANG and rubber flying every where. Now running Sailun tires.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my 17.5 GY G114's last May that were produced late 2014 strictly due to age. They had about 22k miles on them and looked like new. I just didn't want to chance it based on the "age-out" theories.

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire life
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.