RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to run exterior cable for wired backup camera?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to run exterior cable for wired backup camera?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm planning to use a hard wired backup camera for my RV.
There is NO CONSTANT DC voltage available at the RV back and I want to enable the camera at will from the truck cab.

I've done this before on a previous camper but think that I could make a cleaner, neater job of it on my new camper.

My question is regarding exterior cable management.
What might be the best way to mount the video cable, running from the rear of the RV to the front?
(Approximately 27 feet).

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try to run it in the frame rails underneath all the way up to the firewall and then into the cab

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if it's best, but one reasonably decent way is to put the wires in a length of split loom tubing, and then attach it to the frame underneath with zip ties at intervals where possible. If you can thread it above the frame or otherwise through a more protected place, so much the better.

The split loom tubing helps protect the wires from the elements and from being crushed with the zip ties. One source of it at pretty reasonable prices is All Electronics, although if that's all you get the shipping and handling will exceed its cost. (Incidentally, they also stock Delphi WeatherPack connector kits at pretty decent prices.)

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/21 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a wireless backup camera but if I was to have a wired camera I would either use the RV's tail lights, back up lights or run conduit along the frame for power.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/21 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you are specifically looking for a wired backup camera, but I can't help but throw this out there.....

You can get a wireless backup camera and monitor for ~$150. Since you probably want to mount the camera up high, you likely (right??) have rear upper running lights. You can tap off power from those and mount the camera right under the running lights. Then, to "turn on the camera" from up in the cab, all you need to do is have your running lights on. (Personally, I always drive with the lights on just for extra safety/visibility).

Time to complete the job...less than 1 hour.

-Chris

San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you mean to use it as a rear view camera besides just for backing up, you can switch the power to the camera or leave the camera on and switch the display.

Our camper has a "porch light" by the back door that can be left on to tap the camera's power into for constant 12v.

I don't know a good way to get the video wire to the display in the truck. I have a Hopkins wifi camera that works great and displays to your "device" when you select the Hopkins APP. You just put the "device" on your rear view mirror with elastic bands and good to go.

This one has those two guide lines you can select when backing up or leave off for driving. The camera also has a light you can select. The wifi works up to 40 ft so not enough for a 5er, but could use a booster in the front of the trailer. No issue with a truck camper for distance.

There is a time delay which you have to get used to, so you see a car starting to pass and he is already beside you. something to do with "processing time". I don't know if that happens with a wired system.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tap off the bath fan (I have a rear bath). Mount a on/off switch near the fan with a pilot light. Run the cable through the vent cover.

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris wrote:

I know you are specifically looking for a wired backup camera, but I can't help but throw this out there.....

You can get a wireless backup camera and monitor for ~$150. Since you probably want to mount the camera up high, you likely (right??) have rear upper running lights. You can tap off power from those and mount the camera right under the running lights. Then, to "turn on the camera" from up in the cab, all you need to do is have your running lights on. (Personally, I always drive with the lights on just for extra safety/visibility).

Time to complete the job...less than 1 hour.

-Chris

I like this idea. We tow and I'd like to keep an eye on the tow vehicle AND have the truck power the camera. This would work.
I'll think on it for a while. . .lots of other good suggestions to consider.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, i wired mine to the running lights also. Makes a world of difference for changing lanes. With even a cheaper camera , you can see enough. Even at night in storms, you can see the headlights behind you. Tbh, got it as a backup camera, but never use it for that. Just to used to the mirrors. But it still has a purpose.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use this until you get to the bottom where you can follow the brake/turn signal wiring. It looks clean, easy to install, and can handle the elements.
https://www.amazon.com/Concealer-Channel-Paintable-Ethernet-CC05/dp/B0811X1RVQ/ref=asc_df_B0811X1RVQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416875525560&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8762087837442943979&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051682&hvtargid=pla-856056126624&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=100759324264&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416875525560&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8762087837442943979&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051682&hvtargid=pla-856056126624

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to run exterior cable for wired backup camera?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.