|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wifi and Cell Phone Extenders

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are Wifi and Cell phone extenders worth the money or do they even work?

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243,

They work, but there has to be some signal. Maximum distance is about 30 miles. Farther than that, and even if there is a signal the hand shaking may time out. If using a device that has an antenna port, a high gain antenna may be a better solution.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fore Wi-Fi I used a Nano Station Loco M there are two models and I'd recommend the bigger one (I used the smaller one) I got much better Wi-Fi Range with that puppy on top of a flag pole. But it's not a universal solution.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, they do but are you seeking a stronger signal or is the issue bandwidth?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my wifi booster works just fine.
bumpy

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're talking about signal boosters for campground wi-fi, you would usually be boosting a signal with poor bandwidth. Save your money on that. Cell boosters are a different story and can be quite useful. You can research here:

RVMobileInternet.com

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They work but as noted above you need some signal for them to work on. Getting the antenna higher helps too.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Il243,

I do hope that you understand that you are asking two, maybe three different questions.

With Wifi, the first thing you should do is look at the signal strength, all system report this.

If you are someplace that you are trying to use the local Wifi and signal strength is more than half scale, but it is just slow, it may be bandwidth jammed. There is nothing you can do about that but take a nap and try again later when nobody is streaming YouTube.

If your access point is a good distance away (and you know it is there) but the signal strength is poor, then lots of things can help. Back when I had to do this I always used an Alfa device. An external 802.11(XX) and was able to work with access points that would otherwise be completely out of range. I still carry one when we travel, I have not fired it up in years.

If you are talking about cell phone boosters or repeaters (I won't go into the difference), yes, they work well if you mount a good outside antenna high on the coach. I have had several, those that were from Wilson Electronics (Weboost) were never a disappointment. They can require some attention to detail to install effectively. When traveling, we got some amazing places and were still connected.

While cell might look good a lot, never count on it for navigation because where you will need it most, it is most likely to fail.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wifi and Cell Phone Extenders
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.