|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Help with hooking up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mkctome

san antonio texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a 65 yr old female, just bought my first RV. The trouble is, I know HOW to hook it up for towing, but I am not strong enough to lift the ball mount up to put on the truck. And I don't have the strength to attach the control bars correctly. Are there people that I can pay to help me unhitch and hitch up? Do RV parks do that??

Gooma

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a electric jack installed. No lifting.

Nodaker

North Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps a little more explanation would help (as would a power jack):
1. Extend jack to raise tongue above the hitch ball.
2. Back tow vehicle to place hitch ball directly under the coupler on the tongue.
3. Retract jack to lower tongue onto the hitch ball - then lock the coupler.
4. Extend jack to raise the tongue enough to lock the WD arms in place.
5. Retract jack, finish connections (safety chains, electric, break-away brakes)

You should not have to lift the tongue to put the coupler on the ball and by using the jack you need little or no force to properly connect the weight distribution arms.

If you bought from a dealer they should have gladly showed you the whole process. If not, find a neighbor or acquaintance (or even a random camper) to show you how to use power to avoid having to use super strength.

Nodaker
2010 Jayco Melbourne 29D
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, you need an electric tongue jack which will greatly help with the hitching process. Once the ball mount is in the truck's hitch there's really no reason to ever remove it. The bars will need to be removed anytime you drive the truck without the trailer but they usually aren't that heavy.
As a rule campgrounds do not do anything like that for you, for a fee or otherwise. I suppose you could usually find someone at most any campground that would be willing to help as a favor but that's makes you quite dependent on random strangers.
Did you have anyone "professionally" adjust your WDH for you? If not it sounds like you will need too. A trailer shop should be able to do that, then just leave the hitch head in the truck. Use the electric jack to raise and lower the tongue for easy bar installation/removal.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. I am sure you will generally be able to find someone to help... until you can't.

I would assume the ball mount can stay connected for the duration of the trip. Many RV parks have a lot person that should be able to help. Best to verify when making reservations.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I learned to hook the sway bars/weight distribution bars up... AFTER it is hooked on securely to the ball, insert the bars into the hitch and raise the trailer up (truck will also raise up) until the bars swing very easily onto the trailer part and then secure. Same to take them off. Found trailer should be as level as can ben. I, too am solo at 77 and hard to do at first. I have a power jack.. could not do without it.

Doubt if too much help from campground, pay or no pay, liability issues... but a camper might help you.

I leave the hitch/ball in the truck receiver all the time. It is too heavy for me to remove. If someone walks into it, oh well. (I have, too.. LOL)

Good Luck

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Listen to LadyRVer. She obviously speaks from first hand experience. And I would also recommend just leaving the ball hitch on the tow vehicle unless you just don’t want it there. If you only use it part of the year then you could get someone to put it in at the start of the season and remove it at the end.

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Can you leave the ball mount attached to the tow vehicle? Put a lock on it? That would solve the problem of lifting it on and off. Just put a cut up tennis ball over the ball mount when not hooked up.

2. What is your tow vehicle?

3. What size camper are you towing?

4. What Weight Distribution System do you have?

That would help to give you suggestions in hooking up the bars or perhaps get a different system like Anderson Sway Control.

There are no bars on the Anderson Sway Control system, it has chains. You just unpin a cotter pin on the triangle plate from the hitch ball.

Just uncoupled tow vehicle and camper and drive forward.

There are videos on this system you can google.

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/21 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hooking up Anderson Weight Distribution

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/21 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkctome wrote:

I am a 65 yr old female, just bought my first RV. The trouble is, I know HOW to hook it up for towing, but I am not strong enough to lift the ball mount up to put on the truck.

The rest of you need to READ with better comprehension !

An electric jack will lift the tongue of the trailer, but not the ball mount. If it is an adjustable ball mount for a 2-1/2" receiver these things are ridiculously heavy !

Once the ball mount is installed, it should not have to be removed, unless you are a klutz like me and keep whacking it with you shin !

mkctome wrote:

And I don't have the strength to attach the control bars correctly.

The lever they gave you are too short. Get a piece of pipe that will slip over lever and make it longer. Probably need to DOUBLE the length.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Help with hooking up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.