RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Best time to buy new?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best time to buy new?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

propchef wrote:

It depends on what you're looking for. A Super C or Class A? Short supply. TTs? Tons of them unless you're stuck on one particular TT, and even then a patient buyer can find deals. Be willing to buy from a distance and not relying on RV Trader expands your choices.

Know what floor plan you want and have a budget that includes EVERYTHING, including replacing the mattress or upgrading the suspension if that's your plan. "35% off MSRP" is useless if you leave the lot and you still have to spend to get "camp ready"

I agree. Keep in mind, toy-haulers are still "in season" right now. All the 5th wheels are in Arizona and Texas, with snowbirds trading up before they leave. Best deals are had right after schools start and around Christmas.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/21 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with "right after school starts" but remember that NEW loses half its price (not value to you, but resale price) in the first 15 months.

Gently used??

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shortage? Every where I go there seem to be plenty of everything on the lots. North of Richmond on I 95 must be a mile of them. Currently in FL and see plenty here to. Been all over the SE and see plenty everywhere. Used, not so much but seem to be plenty of new on the major lots.

Marc Sparks

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a new comfortable futon mattress just because of this reason which you have mentioned.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter what market we're in, a deal can be found if your patient.
We've bought 4 trailers at the end of year.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Shortage? Every where I go there seem to be plenty of everything on the lots. North of Richmond on I 95 must be a mile of them. Currently in FL and see plenty here to. Been all over the SE and see plenty everywhere. Used, not so much but seem to be plenty of new on the major lots.

On 95, If you are talking about Mcgeorge's and Safford Rv, both have been bought by CW. And if you peruse their inventory on line regularly (yes I still do that) you would notice it's about 1/4 what it was pre pandemic. CW gets first dibs on inventory but if you look close, all their inventory lines the fence along the interstate. Their lot is pretty bare.

And I was told by my local shop recently that although they may have been shipped units for inventory, many are waiting on Fridges, couches, faucet fixtures etc. They arrive at the dealerships with missing parts that they need to be installed once they become available. I have to imagine if someone wanted a unit with missing parts another nearby gets cannibalized.

That said, demand for new has slowed and supply is catching up. Most COVID campers already bough theirs and people have started to return to work in the supply chain.

Post Covid, demand will come to a halt and supply will be high. That will be the time to make a deal, however I wonder if quality will suffer even more than usual during the rush to keep up with demand.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best deal is finding the RV that fits your camping lifestyle. If it doesn't no deal is a deal.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Lee_RV

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is 35% off MSRP really accurate? I've seen $200K units with $100K discounts. Mind you it was a new 2020 while 2021's were also on the lot beside it.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best time to by new?

Only if it is a lot queen. But there are not many of those around now days.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 4500 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allworth wrote:

I agree with "right after school starts" but remember that NEW loses half its price (not value to you, but resale price) in the first 15 months.

Gently used??

Err, I'm not sure this is accurate. Yes, they lose value, but not 50% at 15 months, at least not right now. We traded in a toyhauler last year that was 3 years old, and it lost around 25% of original purchase price when brand new.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best time to buy new?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.