RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do not believe every thing that you read .

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Humor/Jokes

> Do not believe every thing that you read .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobcat got 9 of the kids show chickens. Since then the remaining chickens have not layed one egg!
Rooster Cogburn is no more apparently.
Grand Ma had a huge White Leghorn that would take on man and beast. He had my number. About 4 or 5years old I made me club out of hickory.I smacked the Rooster many times but he apparently still liked the fight. Had he gotten those two or three inch spurs in me, well...
Chickens kept on grass are not that dirty. Cleaning a chicken house of a dozen or so chickens is not that bad, except when you want to go fishing instead... but no way would I run a chicken farm. The smell would gag a maggot.
However Clients had one and thought nothing of it..

* This post was edited 03/22/21 06:39am by down home *

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That Smell is Ammonia.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pismopete

central cal

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Defective freezer??

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 04:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 140,000 chickens a day become McNuggets where I haul out of. About half of what it was pre-pandemic.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Free range chicken has taken on an idyllic image (better for the chickens). What is really meant is it’s better for most of the chickens since nature is never that idyllic with fox, hawks, weasels, etc out on the range.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Free range chicken has taken on an idyllic image (better for the chickens). What is really meant is it’s better for most of the chickens since nature is never that idyllic with fox, hawks, weasels, etc out on the range.

Visit a "free range" factory farm some time. The ones in my area have a tiny fenced in area at each door so the birds can go outside, but you never see even one.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one <1 mile from us (egg layers) and we do see the chickens (many chickens) outside in the fenced areas along the sides of the buildings. I guess it varies from facility to facility and by what the chickens have learned.

We recently had one of our chickens disappear the same day I saw fox near the barnyard outside the fenced area patrolled by our LGDs (dogs are there to protect our sheep). We found the feather pile in one of the fields not patrolled by the LGDs.

* This post was edited 03/22/21 07:49am by BCSnob *

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are endless fables about chickens. The most popular is that they are strict vegetarians. They eat seeds and rice and corn but they will have bloody battles over insects. Dropping scorpions in front of the hens causes a free for all. Moths, caterpillars, worms, grubs. I'll turn them loose in the green tomato patch and see what happens. My neighbor has spurs for his rooster. Said he makes short work of possums. I scrunch up oyster shells for the hens. They love the calcium.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

There are endless fables about chickens. The most popular is that they are strict vegetarians. They eat seeds and rice and corn but they will have bloody battles over insects. Dropping scorpions in front of the hens causes a free for all. Moths, caterpillars, worms, grubs. I'll turn them loose in the green tomato patch and see what happens. My neighbor has spurs for his rooster. Said he makes short work of possums. I scrunch up oyster shells for the hens. They love the calcium.

The farm I grew up on had 2 houses for chickens after they had feathers. First one, they stayed until they got combs, turned into dinner, or started laying, and moved the hen house.
Between the houses some grape vines, a blackberry patch, pear, apple, and couple of peach trees. Also the drain for kitchen sink daylighted in that area. No need to spray the fruit for insects. No fruit on the ground.
The border collie and tight fence kept them out of lawn and truck garden, and made sure they got to the right shelter for the night.

RayJayco

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/21 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some good ones! LOL

I have seen chickens pick maggots out of feces, and I have seen hogs eat that same feces...

Inquiring minds want to know...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Humor/Jokes

> Do not believe every thing that you read .
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.