|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Big truck passing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 04:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Rig had fairly good suspension and was not bothered much by passing semis.
Shocks, sway bars, Trac Bars (that one is important) and steering stablizer all help.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MickUpi wrote:

I done several searches on the following topic but could not find anything on it. I am usually driving in the right lane on the interstate or a four lane road. When a big truck passes an the left as it gets about even with me our rig is pushed to the right. It's usually just slight but sometimes it be a fairly hard push.

Even just a foot or two difference in the space between your unit and the truck can make a huge difference, here’s how to exploit that.

When the truck pulls out to pass you, ease over and crowd the left side of the lane, the passing driver will naturally do the same thing hugging the left side of their lane. Then once the other driver gets up next to you ease your unit over to the right side of your lane until it’s past you.

Doing this successfully will create a 6’ish foot gap between the 2 vehicles and almost if not completely eliminate the problem.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My father-in-law told me the following many-many moons ago when I was first starting out.

When a big truck is getting ready to pass, do the following:
As soon as he gets about 1/2 way up your side, take your foot off the gas for a second or 2 , then get back into it. This will break the suction. You may find that you have to allow the truck to get a bit further towards your front end before getting back into it.. It will take some practice, but I found it to work nicely.

spelling edit

* This post was edited 03/19/21 12:21pm by ford truck guy *

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Timmo!

FYJB! Yep, FYJB!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 06:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second the emotion on taking foot off the gas pedal for a few seconds to regain control of the "sway" caused by passing trucks. I discovered this trick while traversing that windy Cajon Pass as trucks blew by me, while I putt putted up that grade in the slower than slow lane.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MickUpi wrote:

I done several searches on the following topic but could not find anything on it. I am usually driving in the right lane on the interstate or a four lane road. When a big truck passes an the left as it gets about even with me our rig is pushed to the right. It's usually just slight but sometimes it be a fairly hard push. It's only scared me once on a US highway. It happened right as I and the truck driver crossed a bridge. After a rather strong push I am estimating the side of our MH was less than a foot from the bridge and it was a bit scary. Some big trucks don't blow our MH at all. I'm not sure what's up with that. Our MH is 28 feet long and 11 feet 7 inches high. I have noticed bridges on US highways can be much more narrow than on interstates.

Part of the issue is the fact the average RV driver does not know where the side of their vehicles are.
Pulling a 14 foot wide load, on US highways the only time the permit will say take the center of a bridge is when the load is also heavy. If you started with your 102 inch wide rig in the center of your lane you would need to be pushed near 4 ft to get that close to the side of bridge.

One reason some trucks push more is the streamlining of the truck. But even my old Classic Pete, the suck at the back of van trailer was more then push from front. Worse was my truck/full trailer combo. I would not pass a TT, as long as the lights on it worked right. Now, the ones that passed me sometimes put on a dance show.

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple weeks ago while driving the coach back from Florida an 18 wheeler passed and his trailer rear axle was cocked enough so that even though his rig was centered in his lane his trailer tires were riding on the white lane marker. These are the times I wish there was a way to contact him. I flashed my lights but he never noticed.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is normal and is caused by the trucks bow wave of air. You will be pushed out and pulled in by large trucks at speed. We are affected much less due to the aerodynamic shape of the Airstream trailer we tow. It does happen with all classes of RV. Less with some more with others.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We too have felt that when we had a short bed F250 towing a 32' TT, then we switched to a Hensley Arrow (not advertising it), and that push stopped. We now have an F350 long bed dually towing a 35' FW and never ever feel it.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember the paddles used by the principle to swat unruly kids? Those holes he drilled in it had a purpose......

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MickUpi wrote:

I done several searches on the following topic but could not find anything on it. I am usually driving in the right lane on the interstate or a four lane road. When a big truck passes an the left as it gets about even with me our rig is pushed to the right. It's usually just slight but sometimes it be a fairly hard push. It's only scared me once on a US highway. It happened right as I and the truck driver crossed a bridge. After a rather strong push I am estimating the side of our MH was less than a foot from the bridge and it was a bit scary. Some big trucks don't blow our MH at all. I'm not sure what's up with that. Our MH is 28 feet long and 11 feet 7 inches high. I have noticed bridges on US highways can be much more narrow than on interstates.

I’m trying to figure why this issue appears to be exclusive to “US” highways ....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Big truck passing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.