RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Rivian Electric 1/2 tons will have similar netwrk to Tesla.

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Rivian Electric 1/2 tons will have similar netwrk to Tesla.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/23/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last I heard Rivian was making the EV vans for Bezos the priority with the truck/SUV for the public coming in a bit slower. Should see something before the end of this year but I expect production to be slow for the first 6 to 18 months.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2003

View Profile



Posted: 03/23/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pilot versions of the 2021 R1T five-passenger full-size electric pickup are being built for validation and testing in the real world in preparation for a June launch of vehicles earmarked for customers.

There was pictures of the GMC Hummer Pickup charging as well this week, with several sightings of real vehicles.

As I predicted when another company said that they would build a pickup, they will be beat to market.


Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 03/23/21 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toyota’s CEO is suggesting the auto industry think about generation capacity.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/23/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Toyota’s CEO is suggesting the auto industry think about generation capacity.
IMO Toyoda is a bit behind the curve. Might have some bias from the general energy shortage in Japan that does not exist in the same way in other parts of the world. Still battling the fallout from Fukushima tsunami. This a country that has 50Hz grid on one side of the country and 60Hz on the other side.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/23/21 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At this point I think it will be Rivian - Hummer - Tesla at the finish line. For Tesla so much depends on the Texas factory being finished. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Cybertruck pushed to first or even second quarter of 2022.

Meanwhile, Rivian and Hummer will sell every copy they build.

JMHO.

noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 03/23/21 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

noteven wrote:

Toyota’s CEO is suggesting the auto industry think about generation capacity.
IMO Toyoda is a bit behind the curve. Might have some bias from the general energy shortage in Japan that does not exist in the same way in other parts of the world. Still battling the fallout from Fukushima tsunami. This a country that has 50Hz grid on one side of the country and 60Hz on the other side.


Well that could be true. They have a H fuel cell car available for public purchase in California, a number of years of fuel cell powered class 8 truck experience out of the Port of Long Beach, and a long range battery technology in development for battery electric vehicles.

They are not known for letting their customers participate in final stage product development so much.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/23/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

time2roll wrote:

noteven wrote:

Toyota’s CEO is suggesting the auto industry think about generation capacity.
IMO Toyoda is a bit behind the curve. Might have some bias from the general energy shortage in Japan that does not exist in the same way in other parts of the world. Still battling the fallout from Fukushima tsunami. This a country that has 50Hz grid on one side of the country and 60Hz on the other side.


Well that could be true. They have a H fuel cell car available for public purchase in California, a number of years of fuel cell powered class 8 truck experience out of the Port of Long Beach, and a long range battery technology in development for battery electric vehicles.

They are not known for letting their customers participate in final stage product development so much.


It’s hard to get into Toyota’s head on this. In 4 years of sales they are still only selling about 2000 Toyota Mirais per year. Or roughly what Tesla sells in a day. Is it just an extended test fleet? Who knows. I would think the hydrogen market would be better aimed at the heavy trucking world but really don’t know. I’m not sure what the hydrogen distribution network is like out there.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 03/23/21 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

This whole thing of chargers being exclusive to certain makes is just going to hold EV's back. It's just dumb.


I’m ok with it. They are trying to approach it like Tesla did and make the charge experience better.

- Seamless plug and go charging without the billing hassles of public networks
- better availability and placement
- faster and more reliable stations.

This worked and is still working well for Tesla. Rivian is also targeting a certain clientele. Namely the outdoorsy mountain bike, hikey campy bunch does they can concentrate their placement of facilities in places other charge networks won’t.

Jmho.


Really? To me it is a big negative when it comes to buying an EV. I have been considering one for my next vehicle but if manufacturers insist on building exclusive charging networks, I will probably go for a PHEV instead

* This post was edited 03/23/21 10:29pm by wilber1 *


"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/23/21 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rivian uses a common standard connector. Anything Rivian builds for charging will just add to the already widespread network.

www.plugshare.com

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 03/23/21 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Rivian uses a common standard connector. Anything Rivian builds for charging will just add to the already widespread network.

www.plugshare.com


Not if other brands can't use their system.

Quote:

The company confirmed that these stations are going to be only for Rivian owners.


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Rivian Electric 1/2 tons will have similar netwrk to Tesla.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.