RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Need more tongue weight

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Need more tongue weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/22/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

So to all of you who suggest putting things like propane, beer, water, and other CONSUMABLES up front for tongue weight...

What happens when you burn up all the propane and drink all the beer???

Apparently trailers don't sway on the trip home, only on the way out.

I would take the trailer back to where I bought it and COMPLAIN. Get your money back. Their fix will be to add dead weight to the front. Tell them that this is not acceptable.


Aaaaaaaa, I would just buy more beer! [emoticon]


~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~


"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln


hkkarlsson96

utah

New Member

Joined: 03/22/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/22/21 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Calculating your targeted tongue weight can be a NIGHTMARE, but the information included in this post helped me out allot, so I thought I'd share! I'm a big fan on how in depth some of these posts go!
https://towingpeaceofmind.com/forums/topic/towing-within-your-target-tongue-weight/

BenK

SF BayArea

Senior Member

Joined: 04/18/2002

View Profile



Posted: 03/22/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another possible and will not add much weight to the trailer...

Move the axle assembly BACK towards the rear

How much will take some mechanical engineering.

My guess something in the neighborhood of 6”-8”

Trailer OEM’s, in general, has the trailer axle assembly center line too close to the coupler and IMHO, reduces the tongue weight. At the cost of towing manners.


-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

LITEPHIL

AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 07/02/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/22/21 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Another possible and will not add much weight to the trailer...

Move the axle assembly BACK towards the rear

How much will take some mechanical engineering.

My guess something in the neighborhood of 6”-8”

Trailer OEM’s, in general, has the trailer axle assembly center line too close to the coupler and IMHO, reduces the tongue weight. At the cost of towing manners.

Thought about that and I could do that but I'm hoping I can accomplish what I need if I can load that front compartment really well.


2019 Chevy RST Silverado 1500
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2002 Sandpiper T22
04 FXDL Harley

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/30/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/23/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get larger propane tanks if you have only the 20# units. You can get 30 & 40# ones
Add a second battery.
Replace manual tongue jack with a power jack.
Those are useful additions that cost a little $$. Next are FREE.
Carry a load of freshwater. Clean water tank is usually in front of the axles.
Put your spare tire in the forward storage if it fits.


2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/23/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:



I would take the trailer back to where I bought it and COMPLAIN. Get your money back. Their fix will be to add dead weight to the front. Tell them that this is not acceptable.


LOL, you're assuming the OP just bought the trailer (maybe I missed that) and you're assuming that whomever sold him a now 19 year old trailer actually gives 2 ___ks about how it tows. Private party or dealer.
Just add some weight up front. Make it dead weight if can't figure out useful weight (like extra batteries, etc).
Could go to a scrap yard, get some thick steel bar or plate. That's the best bang for the buck save for solid lead. I just scrapped about 400lf of 2" x 4" steel bar. would have been great. Quick calc is 27lbs/lf.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

BenK

SF BayArea

Senior Member

Joined: 04/18/2002

View Profile



Posted: 03/23/21 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ops...correction = 6”-8” behind the CG of the trailer...


LITEPHIL wrote:

BenK wrote:

Another possible and will not add much weight to the trailer...

Move the axle assembly BACK towards the rear

How much will take some mechanical engineering.

My guess something in the neighborhood of 6”-8”

Trailer OEM’s, in general, has the trailer axle assembly center line too close to the coupler and IMHO, reduces the tongue weight. At the cost of towing manners.

Thought about that and I could do that but I'm hoping I can accomplish what I need if I can load that front compartment really well.


mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/24/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Move the axle assembly BACK towards the rear


This would require significant modification to the trailer. The wheel wells and openings would have to be relocated along with the axles. That's assuming there is no structure, plumbing, wiring, facility, or appliance already occupying the space where the wells would need to be moved.

Hardly something I would want to do to a new trailer, or a 19 year old trailer. I think I'd set fire to a poorly-towing 19 year old trailer and watch it burn to the ground before I'd relocate the axles.


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

Senior Member

Joined: 06/27/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/25/21 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you could mount a nice tool box on the front of the trailer; over the tanks? Move the spare to an under trailer rack. Are your wd bars properly adjusted, maybe back off a link?
Would like to hear what you did if you find something that works!

Jarlaxle

New England

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

Get larger propane tanks if you have only the 20# units. You can get 30 & 40# ones
Add a second battery.
Replace manual tongue jack with a power jack.
Those are useful additions that cost a little $$. Next are FREE.
Carry a load of freshwater. Clean water tank is usually in front of the axles.
Put your spare tire in the forward storage if it fits.


OP already stated the fresh water is behind the axle-that's one reason for his problem.


John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Need more tongue weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.