|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lee_RV

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd convert an older Prevost passenger bus before a school bus. They are pretty dang affordable, literal peanuts compared to a Prevost based RV. If you bought the right bus and did a good conversion you could possibly get all your money back when you sold it too. While no matter whats been done to a school bus, they also seem to be dirt cheap.

Rickyrocket

Coventry,RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But built like a tank,with a heavy-duty suspension and leak free steel body that most claim 9-10 mpg. Most high end RV's will be delaminated problems after 15 years. IDK I would rather have a conversation worth 15-20 k than a low mileage high end DP worth squat when I can't drive it anymore.

Farmhills53565

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KOA campgrounds don't seem to care. There are some great channels on you tube that you can help you educate yourself. I have a 2009 Bluebird Handy Bus with a 6.7 cummins rear diesel pusher that was never a school bus that is not yet converted. I am looking to use it as a moving vehicle this spring and then sell it.
I do not have time to convert one. I would offer a suggestion. I bought the bus I did because it was white from the factory. Many places require you to repaint a yellow bus titled as an RV. Also because it was never a school bus it does not have the safety circuits that can lock out the bus from starting. I can jump in, turn the key, wait for the glow plugs, and it starts; even at 30 degF it starts like you just shut it off.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lee_RV wrote:

I'd convert an older Prevost passenger bus before a school bus. They are pretty dang affordable, literal peanuts compared to a Prevost based RV. If you bought the right bus and did a good conversion you could possibly get all your money back when you sold it too. While no matter whats been done to a school bus, they also seem to be dirt cheap.

Unless you are getting a high ground clearance school bus and plan on taking it off road...this is a much better option.

If you do a good job, they won't even know that it's home built.

As others have said, long term and upscale places are more likely to look down on a school bus.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The snobbery associated with some parks/resorts goes against the grain for
me. However, having parked near schoolies that were much less than desirable
I can see why the image parks associate with schoolies is so prevalent.

I like the can-do attitude but in the real world, I don't believe most parks
will be very welcoming to a schoolie. It's unfortunate but some people have
made the schoolie image one that is looked down on.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah for all the people arguing the technicalities of RVIA, I somehow doubt the parks care so much about the details and much more just the fact that it wasn’t factory built.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shhhhh..the OP has made up his mind and just wants someone to justify his route. Best thing for him to do is figure out where HE would like to go/stay and call some parks around that area and ask THEM. It's their park, they make the rules. Some are ok with schoolies, some aren't. Their choice, his choice....America is the Land of the Free...Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Rickyrocket

Coventry,RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually I had a class A that I had bought when it was ten years old and spent quite a bit upgrading/maintaining it, had it for 16 years still only had 72k on it,I just can't see spending 75k on a DP thats 10-12years old with tired appliances, under used drive train etc. I don't plan on building an eyesore and definitely won't be looking like its carrying kids.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/21 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two little points for anyone thinking of doing a schoolteacher conversion;

First and most importantly you need to know that not all school buses are created equally. In bus terms there are two types, ‘city’ and ‘county’. City buses are designed for stop & go in town driving, they are geared low. County buses are geared to cruise at 50 or 60 mph. A motorhome that screams at WOT to get anywhere is not a great ride.

Secondly the ‘attitude’ towards schoolers is primarily because most of them are not legal conversions. Anything that plugs into 120 volts with hardwired systems and / or plumbed propane must be certified as compliant with the relevant reg’s, no different than a S & B home does.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.