|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT Brake Service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alexey75 wrote:

What kind of grease should I use lubricate the points behind the shoes?

High temperature disc brake grease or high temperature anti seive.

If you have never replaced drum brake shoes this will be a challenge ! If the shoes look good (reasonable thickness) I would just leave them alone.

It is not uncommon and it is much easier to replace the entire brake assembly, backing plate, pre-installed springs and retainers, new magnets, etc. You can buy left and right brake assemblies (lubed) for under $200 on etrailer.com.

I couldn't find a video specific to electric trailer brakes (most just replace the whole assembly), but this video is on drum brakes in general and I am jumping you to the point where they are applying the lube How to Replace Drum Brake Shoes

Why do you think your brake shoes need to be lubed ?

* This post was edited 03/21/21 07:48pm by theoldwizard1 *

alexey75

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

What makes you think you need to clean your TT brakes? Do you clean your TV brakes?
That being said, it always a good idea to inspect brake parts on a used vehicle or trailer. That way you know they are in good shape to travel.

For the traveling "I" do I inspect my brakes and bearing about every 5 to 7 years or so. About 10 years is the limit for the magnets on the trailer I own.

In short, there is no reason to clean brakes unless they are contaminated and that's a whole different issue.

This...Depending on the type, you may need to adjust the brakes periodically.

Do a brake check every time you hook up, also. Once you get out of the site on a straight away, manually activate the trailer brakes (low speed). It should give a good strong jerk and bring the rig to a stop. We also leave the flashers on once the ball is connected, so we can check the trailer lights are connected and operational while finishing up the getting ready to leave.

Thanks for the tips!

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

duplicate

alexey75

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

I have never serviced any vehicle brakes to just "clean them".. [emoticon]

Drum brakes do get some brake dust in them over the years, but will usually wear out before you need to just clean them.

For TT brakes specifically and if they are drum type brakes there will be an adjuster lever on them and in the newer ones, they will auto adjust.

I've had both and the only reason I pulled the drum off was to check the wheel bearings and then check the condition of the brakes and adjust accordingly.

With my new Rockwood, it's supposed to self adjusting brakes, but I plan on pulling the drums on them and looking for myself after a season and a half of towing it.

Just wanna check things out on it and see the bearings and how this so called auto adjusting thing works on it. Figure it's similar to auto drum brakes that auto adjust when you back up or use the brakes in general, in the case of a TT..

Anyway, going to pull them before the camping season and look for myself.

Good luck, Mitch
[image]

Cool, thanks Mitch!

alexey75

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

Honestly, on mine, I do nothing unless I notice an issue.

Right, about an issue... During the last summer, when I was coming to full stop (probably around 10-15 mph) the truck and the trailer were swinging (going back and forth for a few seconds). It happened probably 5-6 times during the whole season. I though the brake controller output was too high, tried to lower it, but it didn't help.

Any chance someone had the same issue or knows what might be wrong?

alexey75

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

I don't. I'm planning to do a service (grease, inspect brakes) in a few weeks, would like to see what I might need for this service.

With ez lube system, I don't need to grease the bearings during the reassembling (after the inspection), right?
I can grease it once I'm done, with grease gun, correct?

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 02:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alexey75 wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

I don't. I'm planning to do a service (grease, inspect brakes) in a few weeks, would like to see what I might need for this service.

With ez lube system, I don't need to grease the bearings during the reassembling (after the inspection), right?

I will never use the EZ-Lube grease zerk because of the excessive amount of grease in the hub and the very likely chance of grease getting on the brakes. Thoroughly clean the bearings and inspect them, then grease by hand. I use the grease gun to flush the old grease out of the hole in the spindle while it is apart, then never use it again. Do it right by hand and don't depend on gimmicks like EZ-Lube.

alexey75

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any chance someone experienced the the same behavior?

During the last summer, when I was coming to full stop (probably around 10-15 mph) the truck and the trailer were swinging (going back and forth for a few seconds). It happened probably 5-6 times during the whole season. I though the brake controller output was too high, tried to lower it, but it didn't help.

Any idea what can cause it?

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alexey75 wrote:

Any chance someone experienced the the same behavior?

During the last summer, when I was coming to full stop (probably around 10-15 mph) the truck and the trailer were swinging (going back and forth for a few seconds). It happened probably 5-6 times during the whole season. I though the brake controller output was too high, tried to lower it, but it didn't help.

Any idea what can cause it?

When you say, truck and trailer swinging back and forth, I'm assuming you mean in a TV and TT straight in line swinging ahead in the truck, correct?

Did you have a half or 3/4 tank of water in any of the tanks? Fresh, grey or black? Of some in all 3?

I'm assuming you are using a weight distribution hitch?

Do you feel any lose play in the tow ball or truck receiver connection?

About how fast was the deceleration? A hard stop, a medium stop or a long light stop? I know this is subjective, but trying to get more info on your setup to know what may have created that reaction.

If I understood the way the truck was wiggling back and forth, I know the feeling, on a tractor and implement filled with water. The water does not stop solid, it sloshes back and forth in line with the tractor and implement. The faster/harder the stop, the worse it was. I have not had this happen on the camper, but large water tanks on a camper filled with water, could do this.

As to the EZ lube setup, I am not a fan of them on a brake axle setup. They have their place on a boat trailer. On a TT setup, sooner or later, the grease can/will blow by the seal into the brakes. The hotter the summer day, on a long tow, the worse it can be. They do make oil or grease seals to hold thousands of pounds of pressure, but they are not what is in a conventional trailer axle.

Hope this helps

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

YouTube has a number of “how to” TT brake videos. Start there IMO.

Here's one to get started.

One on Bearing Repack too

alexey75 wrote:

You absolutely must grease the bearings before assembling them. Never reassemble a wheel up dry.

Lynnmor wrote:

I will never use the EZ-Lube grease zerk because of the excessive amount of grease in the hub and the very likely chance of grease getting on the brakes. Thoroughly clean the bearings and inspect them, then grease by hand. I use the grease gun to flush the old grease out of the hole in the spindle while it is apart, then never use it again. Do it right by hand and don't depend on gimmicks like EZ-Lube.

Best write-up yet on EZ-Lube. That's my technique as well.
Here's a video on EZ-Lube hubs which pretty much sums up what Lynnmor describes above

Bob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT Brake Service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.