RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: TT Brake Service

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > TT Brake Service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
alexey75

Nova Scotia

New Member

Joined: 09/01/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/24/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:



Here's a video on EZ-Lube hubs which pretty much sums up what Lynnmor describes above


WOW... no grease goes inside...

alexey75

Nova Scotia

New Member

Joined: 09/01/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/24/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JBarca wrote:

alexey75 wrote:

Any chance someone experienced the the same behavior?

During the last summer, when I was coming to full stop (probably around 10-15 mph) the truck and the trailer were swinging (going back and forth for a few seconds). It happened probably 5-6 times during the whole season. I though the brake controller output was too high, tried to lower it, but it didn't help.

Any idea what can cause it?


When you say, truck and trailer swinging back and forth, I'm assuming you mean in a TV and TT straight in line swinging ahead in the truck, correct?

Did you have a half or 3/4 tank of water in any of the tanks? Fresh, grey or black? Of some in all 3?

I'm assuming you are using a weight distribution hitch?

Do you feel any lose play in the tow ball or truck receiver connection?

About how fast was the deceleration? A hard stop, a medium stop or a long light stop? I know this is subjective, but trying to get more info on your setup to know what may have created that reaction.

If I understood the way the truck was wiggling back and forth, I know the feeling, on a tractor and implement filled with water. The water does not stop solid, it sloshes back and forth in line with the tractor and implement. The faster/harder the stop, the worse it was. I have not had this happen on the camper, but large water tanks on a camper filled with water, could do this.

As to the EZ lube setup, I am not a fan of them on a brake axle setup. They have their place on a boat trailer. On a TT setup, sooner or later, the grease can/will blow by the seal into the brakes. The hotter the summer day, on a long tow, the worse it can be. They do make oil or grease seals to hold thousands of pounds of pressure, but they are not what is in a conventional trailer axle.

Hope this helps

John


Hi John, yes swinging ahead (forward/backward).
No, all tanks were empty.
Correct, using the weight distribution hitch
No, no lose play.
I'm pretty sure it was light stop in most cases. The issue that it happened just a number of times... I will do the wheel/bearing service in next few weeks, maybe I will find an answer for that.

Thanks for the EZ lube advice, looks like the old method is way to go.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/24/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:


Here's a video on EZ-Lube hubs which pretty much sums up what Lynnmor describes above


Not a great video, if you do listen carefully what was said about the grease needing to totally fill the area between the seal and the bearing only then pushing out, you will understand the issue.

If you look carefully you will see that the rear inner race is located against the larger diameter for the seal by just a tiny amount. All of the 3500 lb. axles are made like this and is a design defect. If you want to disagree, fine, but do the measurements and the math like I did. Measure the diameter where the shoulder meets the large radius on the inner race and measure the seal surface diameter, less any small radius there. Using the blueprints with the tolerances, you can have zero ground surface contact up to just a small amount.

Also, check the diameter of the sealing surface, the surface finish and the concentricity and ask yourself if that will contain the grease.





JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/24/21 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alexey75 wrote:



Hi John, yes swinging ahead (forward/backward).
No, all tanks were empty.
Correct, using the weight distribution hitch
No, no lose play.
I'm pretty sure it was light stop in most cases. The issue that it happened just a number of times... I will do the wheel/bearing service in next few weeks, maybe I will find an answer for that.

Thanks for the EZ lube advice, looks like the old method is way to go.



OK, it is not water slosh then.

Do you have self adjusting brakes or manual adjust?

Is it a pulsating type feeling? Meaning this give and take back and forth feeling happens when you put your foot on the brakes, but stops once you release the brake pedal?

Let me know. I have seen a brake issue create that pulsating feeling, but need the above info before I go down the road trying to explain what I found causing it.

John


John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)


ajriding

st clair

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/24/21 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alexey75 wrote:

ajriding wrote:



Honestly, on mine, I do nothing unless I notice an issue.



Right, about an issue... During the last summer, when I was coming to full stop (probably around 10-15 mph) the truck and the trailer were swinging (going back and forth for a few seconds). It happened probably 5-6 times during the whole season. I though the brake controller output was too high, tried to lower it, but it didn't help.

Any chance someone had the same issue or knows what might be wrong?


The brakes are not my first thought. Maybe too much weight to the rear, behind the axles???
Brakes will tend to make the trailer stop swaying, even if over applied on the trailer, or they skid, which they do quite easily depending on trailer weight. I have never seen a trailer skid, or brake hard and then sway.
Could be your truck has worn front end parts?

alexey75

Nova Scotia

New Member

Joined: 09/01/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

alexey75 wrote:

ajriding wrote:



Honestly, on mine, I do nothing unless I notice an issue.



Right, about an issue... During the last summer, when I was coming to full stop (probably around 10-15 mph) the truck and the trailer were swinging (going back and forth for a few seconds). It happened probably 5-6 times during the whole season. I though the brake controller output was too high, tried to lower it, but it didn't help.

Any chance someone had the same issue or knows what might be wrong?


The brakes are not my first thought. Maybe too much weight to the rear, behind the axles???
Brakes will tend to make the trailer stop swaying, even if over applied on the trailer, or they skid, which they do quite easily depending on trailer weight. I have never seen a trailer skid, or brake hard and then sway.
Could be your truck has worn front end parts?


Usually I keep the most of the weight above the axles. I know too much weight on the rear can cause swaying. But I will keep it in mind.
I don't think it's worn, it's 2018 model with about 20K miles.

alexey75

Nova Scotia

New Member

Joined: 09/01/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JBarca wrote:

alexey75 wrote:



Hi John, yes swinging ahead (forward/backward).
No, all tanks were empty.
Correct, using the weight distribution hitch
No, no lose play.
I'm pretty sure it was light stop in most cases. The issue that it happened just a number of times... I will do the wheel/bearing service in next few weeks, maybe I will find an answer for that.

Thanks for the EZ lube advice, looks like the old method is way to go.



OK, it is not water slosh then.

Do you have self adjusting brakes or manual adjust?

Is it a pulsating type feeling? Meaning this give and take back and forth feeling happens when you put your foot on the brakes, but stops once you release the brake pedal?

Let me know. I have seen a brake issue create that pulsating feeling, but need the above info before I go down the road trying to explain what I found causing it.

John


It's self adjusting brakes.
No, it's not pulsating, not sure how to explain, more like jerking...

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/27/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alexey75 wrote:

JBarca wrote:

alexey75 wrote:



Hi John, yes swinging ahead (forward/backward).
No, all tanks were empty.
Correct, using the weight distribution hitch
No, no lose play.
I'm pretty sure it was light stop in most cases. The issue that it happened just a number of times... I will do the wheel/bearing service in next few weeks, maybe I will find an answer for that.

Thanks for the EZ lube advice, looks like the old method is way to go.



OK, it is not water slosh then.

Do you have self adjusting brakes or manual adjust?

Is it a pulsating type feeling? Meaning this give and take back and forth feeling happens when you put your foot on the brakes, but stops once you release the brake pedal?

Let me know. I have seen a brake issue create that pulsating feeling, but need the above info before I go down the road trying to explain what I found causing it.

John


It's self adjusting brakes.
No, it's not pulsating, not sure how to explain, more like jerking...


OK, I know the self adjusting trailer brakes.

1. Do you "only" feel the "jerking", whenever it happens, occur when you are applying the brakes and then "stops jerking" when you stop applying the brakes?

2. OR, does the jerking start when you have applied the brakes, and may continue for a short while even after you stop applying the brakes?

3. The key point it, the issue "starts" with a braking action, yes or no?

Please answer all 3.

John

falconbrother

North Carolina

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/30/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually lube the axles and adjust the brakes once a year. It's easy to do both, especially if you have the Easylube (or similar) axles. In my mind adjusting the brakes is more important than lubing every year. I suspect that I lube them more than they need. Now, even adjusting seems a bit over done because they really don't need much of that either. We always take a two week trip over Christmas break and I do all of that before that trip.

alexey75

Nova Scotia

New Member

Joined: 09/01/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/30/21 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JBarca wrote:




OK, I know the self adjusting trailer brakes.

1. Do you "only" feel the "jerking", whenever it happens, occur when you are applying the brakes and then "stops jerking" when you stop applying the brakes?

2. OR, does the jerking start when you have applied the brakes, and may continue for a short while even after you stop applying the brakes?

3. The key point it, the issue "starts" with a braking action, yes or no?

Please answer all 3.

John


John,

We bought this trailer about a year ago, and during the summer I've experienced it probably 5-6 times.

1. It happened when I have applied the brakes during the slow down, like before the traffic light. When the speed was around 10 mph I've felt the jerking for a second, just before it came to full stop.

2. No, it didn't happen when I applied the brakes. And it didn't continue when I stopped applying the brakes.

3. No, it doesn't start with the braking action.

I've mentioned before, I've read in truck's manual that the truck stop applying the TT brakes when the speed below 12 mph (or something like that).
Any chance it's related to truck and not trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > TT Brake Service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.