RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Operational problems with new diesel pickups

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Operational problems with new diesel pickups

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

It only stands to reason that with every new generation of trucks that come out, they come closer and closer to perfecting the DEF system, and the problems of the early ones that left a bad taste in owners' mouths will become old wives' tales told to scare the children.

Unfortunately the everyday consumer had to be the beta testers of the DEF systems, as they have had to be the beta testers for everything that came before.

I agree with this as the same thing has happened in the trucking world. We have '12 trucks which at 1st, no problems. As time went on tho the issues started to come up and pretty much all DEF related. Next large batch was in '15, '16 ('16, '17 models) and much better. Next batch couple years later and even less issues w/ the DEF system. Not saying they are perfect and no problems, but just less of them. All Detroits and they themselves no problems, just DEF system. All the big trucks have the same issues. So things are the same for both semis and pick-ups. The air coming out of the exhaust is cleaner than what's going in up front. Based on what I've seen, pick-ups that have been modded in some fashion blow black smoke while main stream ones are clean as a whistle.

Local Ryder place added a full shift just for emission problems.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 2 nutty cats...RIP, Maya ">
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

LowRyter

OKC

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's wrong with the '09?

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Travel glampers

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After receiving the recall notice for the passenger air bag in my 09 Silverado, I was concerned about the possibility of shrapnel discharge from the existing air bag. The recall stated no replacements were available. This turned out not to be true. My DW suggested calling the local Chevy dealer, we purchased the truck from. They had no problem replacing the actuator for the air bag. The truck has provided trouble free service through at least 4 extended western trips and local use. So after replacing the water pump and serpentine belt, it's easily good for another 100K miles.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

It only stands to reason that with every new generation of trucks that come out, they come closer and closer to perfecting the DEF system, and the problems of the early ones that left a bad taste in owners' mouths will become old wives' tales told to scare the children.

Unfortunately the everyday consumer had to be the beta testers of the DEF systems, as they have had to be the beta testers for everything that came before.

Two 2019s, a 2015, and a 2017 at work that nobody can fix. One just needed a cool thirty grand in repairs due to a seized turbocharger. Another has ~125K on the CEL.

You need better mechanics!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Get over yourself. You happened to be the unlucky slob who got a Monday truck. Sure you are unhappy, totally understandable, but to come onto a public forum and present your case as norm is totally
irresponsible.

Totally irresponsible? LOL.
So, if you ever have a problem and someone asks a question, don't answer. Keep it to yourself?

FWIW, I still have a truck with a recall that ram can't fix. They tell me weekly to get it done. And, if I schedule an appointment to get the recall done, all that happens is that the truck goes to the dealer and sits. Then, I drive it home with paperwork that says "parts ordered."

So, I've learned. I call in advance and am told "we will call you when the parts arrive." How many months is this going to take? How many appointments, scheduled weeks in advance? I guess 3 isn't enough.

Why did it take TWO dealership visits to get an emissions recall done? Don't know. The emissions update led to other problems, which required another dealer visit for another computer update.

Parts are still on order for the radio. Maybe that will fix the radio that doesn't work, and the AC and the heater that don't work. How many months do I have to wait? Don't know. Good thing I had heated seats. Driving inside a 20 degree truck isn't as comfortable as you'd think. But, maybe that's not a big deal to you. But the reality is that I paid for a truck that's supposed to have a functioning heater.

How about the suspension clunk which has a TSB to fix. I can reproduce it daily. Maybe a dealer will address on the 3rd or 4th visit. I don't know yet.

What I do know is this: If you spent almost 70k on RAM that has problems, good luck getting it fixed. Bad dealership experiences are very common in the dodge world. And now I know how bad it really is. IMO, Ram is a poor product and it's not because of the truck. Yes, it has problems but the problems can be fixed. What good is a warranty if the problems aren't fixed. It's just a waste of my time trying to get it fixed.

I'm fed up with taking the truck to a dealer for a reason they know about and the outcome is "we don't have the parts." Come back another time and sorry if this is the 2nd or 3rd time you've already been here.

So, I spoke up and I told the truth. And, you don't like. So be it.

All I know is that the truck doesn't work right, and I wish it did. The problem is that I'm not the guy who makes the parts nor am I the guy who installs the parts. I'm the unfortunate owner of a truck that has commons problems (all have TSBs or recalls), none of which have been fixed yet because of "waiting on parts."

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I own a ram, I understand why.

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Devo the dog wrote:

I have a 2019 ram with the HO cummins. I didn't have any problems until the first recall, which was an emissions update. I had to take it to two different dealerships to get the recall done.

Actually, now that I think about it, I had to take it to the dealer after it was 3 or 4 months old. Three different trips. The problem was never fixed. The factory doesn't have a fix. LOL. But, that's just the ram ownership experience, so I've learned.

The only other unfixed issues have nothing to do with the DEF or emissions, other than the emissions recall, which apparently causes other issues.

So, if you want a truck that can tow a heavy load up a hill, buy a ram. It might have problems like no AC, or no heat, surging throttle, random clunks, and a transmission that bucks when towing, and a radio that shuts off randomly, and poor dealership support. But, if you can ignore all that, buy a ram.

LOL.

Get over yourself. You happened to be the unlucky slob who got a Monday truck. Sure you are unhappy, totally understandable, but to come onto a public forum and present your case as norm is totally
irresponsible.

I never had any of those issues with my 2019 Cummins HO. It's been a great truck - better than the 2015 Chevrolet it replaced, which was an improvement over the 2014 Ford. Granted they're all different years/generations, but I like my Ram the best and have no brand loyalty. I had issues that required warranty work on all three trucks, and Ford was the only one who really tried to skirt covering anything.

* This post was edited 04/14/21 01:14pm by jshupe *

2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

You need better mechanics!

The truck has been back to the Freightliner dealer and to Cummins. Light is still on. Nobody can keep it off more than a week.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the bigger issues, now that the tier IV emissions systems are pretty well sorted out, is owner ignorance.
We now have trucks that will start, stop, stay in their lane, remember how you want your power seat settings, etc. He!!, some will even back your trailer in for you!
With that, anyone with a pulse and a decent credit score can get a new diesel. Even if they never even understood what those “other pumps” were for at the gas station until last week.
That and peoples’ expectations that all mfg items will be flawless and not require any special care, consideration or knowledge, AND the vast number of grocery getter duty diesels has all exaggerated the actual issues to where it’s almost impossible to discern between an issue that is a result of a defective system or a defective owner.

Saw a meme, something like “In 1951, vehicle owners manuals provided instructions on how to adjust the valves. In 2021, owners manuals warn the owner to not drink the battery acid.”
Point is, yes diesel emissions systems are not flawless. I’m currently enjoying our 2016 Ram with full deletes and zero concern of any emissions related issues.
But, they do require a bit of effort and knowledge to not cause self inflicted issues.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Case in point and a larger sample group than most.
I had a fleet of new 2014 Ram diesels back in 2014. Operating in the Arctic. In one season, the trucks got 1000-2000miles total and 1000-4000 engine hours.
Ambient temps were +20F to -50F. Avg day was -20s. No load, never run over 35mph, lots of idle time, etc.
We had issues, as can be imagined. Almost daily, at least one truck had a full dpf and needed a manual regen. Had several frozen/cracked def injectors and 2 def pump failures.
Through all that, not one dpf or scr needed replaced. 1 truck was close, but I was able to trick the ecm into thinking it had a new dpf after it maxxed out on number of manual regens. This allowed enough addl regens to clean it up.

IMO, if the systems from 7 years ago were robust enough to handle that, a little care on a newer truck will generally keep the emissions systems healthy.
Note I said generally. They are not flawless and do not have the decades of development and history that other components have, but take your picks.
You got 3 options.
1. deal with it.
2. Buy a gasser and enjoy the lack of towing performance and fuel mileage.
3. Delete.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my BIL's is a mechanic for Case International and the number one issue he works on is diesel emission problems.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Operational problems with new diesel pickups
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.