RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Anyone use a water meter?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone use a water meter?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, so recomend to me a garden hose style water meter. My TT does not have a gravity fill or overflow and i can not tell how much water is in the freash water tank. If you fill it up too much it can pressurize, wich is bad. Normally not a problem but when i was sanitizing it i forgot to swap over the valve, so i had no idea how nuch water i had in the tank. Then i forgot to switch the other valve over to shut down the siphon hose because i didnt see it. The controlls and pump are under the couch inside and its a pita to see or feel to open and close the right levers. They should make it easier! Lol. Or i should mark them one day.........

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

FrankoToo

New Braunfels, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Rainwave-RW-9FM-D........garden+hose+water+flo%2Caps%2C322&sr=8-5

FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Ok, so recomend to me a garden hose style water meter. My TT does not have a gravity fill or overflow and i can not tell how much water is in the freash water tank. If you fill it up too much it can pressurize

I'm curious where the air in the tank goes as you fill it if there's no overflow pipe?

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fresh water tanks have Overflows & Vents
Vents can be small diameter and if vent line sags water can get trapped in low end and block all venting

Overflows come out top and extend below enclosed underbelly
Should NOT have shutoff valve on it...should be open pipe typically 1/2"

Even the KZ Manual states...."Each storage tank has an over flow line."

Several Garden Hose Meters available on Amazon for $16-$30
Rainwave, Orbit, P3 ---pick one

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Fresh water tanks have Overflows & Vents
Vents can be small diameter and if vent line sags water can get trapped in low end and block all venting

Overflows come out top and extend below enclosed underbelly
Should NOT have shutoff valve on it...should be open pipe typically 1/2"

Even the KZ Manual states...."Each storage tank has an over flow line."

Several Garden Hose Meters available on Amazon for $16-$30
Rainwave, Orbit, P3 ---pick one

I didnt see that in my maual but it does say do not overfill the tank as it could burst. It is not designed to hold pressure. That leads me to the no overflow. But you are correct it says there is an overflow. I will have to look for it. As filling untill it overflows is ideal.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One way to help avoid any risk of pressurizing the tank is to slow down the filling when you get near the top so as not to overwhelm the overflow/vent lines. If things are designed and working properly, that ought not be necessary in general.

I just open the fill valve on my motorhome and let the water flow until it starts to come out underneath, then stop filling. I've never had a bit of trouble doing that.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem for me is the valves are under the couch , and that cant be accessed without opening the rear slide bed. So, i have to remember to set the valves the corect way before heading out. I usally dont and then have to bring water in by jerry can and fill it through the inside siphon. Plus, its not one valve to fill, there are 3 and they move a lot to go from filling to pump to city water. Good thing I mostly camp with hook ups. Lol. I dont know why they wouldn't have a gracity feed, or an easy way to swap the sytems over. Other think is the tank is not visible, and its insulated so i can not determine how full it is. Yea, the sensors, they never worked since i got it.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fill my fresh water tank until water flows out overflow...mine is just behind rear axle
Being doing that since 2007.....use tank/pump only so tank gets filled to overflow a LOT. Never an issue

Yours should be within reason to where fresh water tank is located

And What are all the those valves you are having to access and operate?
Those sound like Water Heater Valves
Cold IN...Hot Out....Bypass

Where you connect water hose...isn't there valves/switches for City/Fill ???

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, not water heater stuff. It was just the way they made these kzs, i think it only lasted 2 years because there a pita. One is for the siphon, the others change the direction of the water from the pump to the tank. So , sort of like diverter valves. Screw one up and because im an idot and never mark them, you spend an hour turning them back and forth and still dont know if you have it set corectly to fill the tank. And as i said ,under the couch and slide, so if its wrong no water in the tank. So the valves are un marked and on the water lines in and around the pump. They are not for the water heater, those are seprate.

Now that you mentioned the overflow, i will see if it needs to be blown out, that could also be why it takes a while to fill. Not sure because i might have the valves in the wrong spots!

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your tank will pressurize if you fill it faster than the overflow can vent the air. If the air can't displace, then you've pressurized it.

Do you have a drain valve? Can you empty the tank and start from scratch so you'll know how much water you're adding?

And yes, fill it slowly enough that the air can vent from the tank. Also, you might have more than one tank, so the water needs to equalize from the first tank to the second (while air vents from both of those tanks).

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone use a water meter?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.