|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> I can't figure out how to use Recreation.gov

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago when the contract changed, this forum was full of cheers to see the hated, dreaded Reserve America gone.

I have occasional frustrations with the new site, because I still use Reserve America for state parks, and another older website for a membership campground that was old and outdated when I retired from the IT world in 2009.

Like anything, it just takes a little practice.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for selecting dates, once you press the arrival date and the button-like thing seems to change to "select check-out date", just click on the check-out date and the range will be highlighted and you can click "apply".

It is not the most intuitive user interface.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

But the site is built by the low bidder.

Are you sure? Usually consultant work is qualifications based. Only after selection, do they negotiate price.

The issue is the proposals are based on what is asked for in the RFP...if the RFP is poorly written and doesn't reward a user friendly system, the proposals won't prioritize a user friendly system (and it's not as simple as saying build a user friendly system)

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ever since the new contract was given, the site sucks, when they took over, at one of our favorite CG's in Va., they actually had the sites numbered backwards, their maps really sucked with sites in the wrong place, roads were in the wrong places, no site photos where there was before.
in their defense, they have gotten slightly better, not really good, but better.
Trouble with govt. & their contractor sites, they are built, without asking the end user what they need it to do, in this case, probably by someone who has never camped a day in their lives, or tried to make a reservation.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

they actually had the sites numbered backwards, their maps really sucked with sites in the wrong place, roads were in the wrong places, no site photos where there was before

That data is all supplied by the campground. The website vendor does not get paid to update or verify the data.

When Reserve America lost the bid, they refused to return to the government years of data they had received on campgrounds - maps, site numbering, pictures, site amenities, etc.

The contract for Recreation.gov is a US Department of Agriculture contract for National Forests campgrounds. Other agencies like the Department of Interior National Parks and the Department of Defense Corps of Engineers are able to use Recreation.gov on a courtesy basis.

Those agencies were very upset that what they considered their data was not transferred to the new contractor.

Also most agency campgrounds, even USFS, did not have copies of what had been submitted in the past to Reserve America. A manpower extensive and expensive task to recreate all that data.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> I can't figure out how to use Recreation.gov
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.