RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV At Dealer for 90 Days Now for An Awning Replacement!!!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV At Dealer for 90 Days Now for An Awning Replacement!!!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
bowler1

Rising Sun, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had my awning torn off in a windstorm. In about October I made an appointment to drop my trailer off at a dealer to have it replaced. The appointment was for the end of DEC. After waiting 60 days for my appointment I dropped it off.

When I did so I asked how long it would take and told them I had bad luck in the past with extended waits. They told me....10 days.

Here we are 3 months later and it's not done yet.

Same thing happened to me last year but it was about 60 days.

Had the same thing happen at another dealer the year before where I made an appointment months in advance and they had the trailer for 60 days and had not touched it.

Is this standard for the RV industry? I means this is ridiculous. And it's in the winter months when I would think they would be able to get things done pretty quick.

What the heck would happen if I had a real issue in the summer or during a period when I needed to actually live out of my trailer (like I am doing this summer when I move)?

Dealers: Chesaco RV in Edgewood MD and Petes RV (formerly Gayle Kline in PA).

Does it really take 6 months in the off season to get a simple repair (from the time you call to make an appointment to the time you get the rig back)? What kind of industry can operate like this? What if fixing your car took this long? How could someone possible full-time RV when it takes this long to get a repair done?

thanks
Matt

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lost our awning in a hail storm and called my mobile RV repair guy. He stopped by the next day, measured, and we decided what fabric I wanted. He ordered it and the next week he came and installed it.
Very easy, efficient, and cost effective.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one of the reasons that I am glad I can most if not all repairs on my 5er myself with DWs help.
I would have verified that the dealer had the parts on hand before dropping off, at the end of ten days and no trailer, I would be calling every day, and asking how is the repair coming.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before I clicked on this, I thought for sure the dealer would turn out to be a Camping World. Surprise, it isn't!

There are supply problems for some parts these days, but who knows. You should definitely call the dealer. If you don't like their reason for not getting it done, tell them you're coming to pick it up in X number of days, whether it's fixed or not. They can't make money on work not done.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always use a mobile tech. Dealers are useless. We made the mistake twice of leaving it with them . One repair they lied about doing. Kept it for weeks. The second time we waited weeks and finally just told them to give. It back. Got a mobile tech from then on with no problems.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are preying on your good nature. Go get your rig and ask someone to show you how its done.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are letting them do that to you?

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading these stories over and over it seems a dealer is the last place you want to go for repairs.

I nearly ripped the rear cap off my 5er on a steel column because of tail swing. Significant fiberglass damage. Took it to an independent RV repair/refurbish/upgrade shop with great google reviews. Got it back 3 weeks later looking new. And that spanned a July 4th holiday weekend!

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 11:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen many awnings repaired/replaced in RV parks.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't get why you need to leave your unit there for so long for something like that. I had my awning replaced (warranty) in a day a couple years ago. After they received the awning which took a couple weeks I set up a day with the dealer and dropped it off in the morning and picked it up in the evening. In fact I emailed my dealer photos of the awning that needed to be replaced so I didn't need to bring my unit down for them to look at. Easy peasey.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV At Dealer for 90 Days Now for An Awning Replacement!!!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.