|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Storms and Tornados

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are all great tips - I just want to add one:
The National Weather Service offers free Skywarn classes to the public every spring. The class is designed for the average person to be able to recognize (and hopefully report) severe weather and tornadoes. I feel pretty certain, that even devoid of all electronics, that I could tell when to take shelter because something ugly is about to happen; and if I DO have my electronic stuff available, I know how to recognize a tornado (or potential tornado) on radar.

To find a class near you, go to your local NWS page and look up "Skywarn". (Chances are that most areas have already held their training classes for this year)

Here's a link to the Nat'l Skywarn page
Skywarn

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These things have wheels under them for a reason. Only once have I put in the slides and unhooked in the campground so I could start up and move away from a tornado storm... Interstate was close by and ran right angles to the movement of the storm. Watched it on a local TV station as it went by 10 miles away from us. Even if the campground has an underground shelter I’ll probably move before I go to the shelter.

The best weather app I have found is “Zoom weather”, cost five dollars and well worth it... picture below. Paid for itself when I was able to shoot the gap between two huge thunderstorms in Nebraska one evening...slight rain for 30 seconds. When you click on the box it expands and gives you the speed and intensity of the thunderstorms cell...2nd picture. The underlying map is as good as any Google map and I use it as a moving navigation tool.

[image]

[image]

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/21 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that want to know what county they are in, and have an internet connection, This Link to the GIS Geography County Map of the US had individual state county maps. Individual states can be downloaded ahead of time.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/21 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

These things have wheels under them for a reason. Only once have I put in the slides and unhooked in the campground so I could start up and move away from a tornado storm...

OK - now I'll go full-blown Weather Geek:

It takes a radar dome 4-1/2 minutes to do one scan. Some states, like Florida and Michigan, tend to have "pop-up" tornadoes that can show up on radar as a pixel - but in the course of the potentially 8 minutes it was on the ground, can do a LOT of damage. They aren't like the Great Plains tornadoes that tend to be highly visible and long-tracked.

So yes, we are all very mobile - but trying to outrun a tornado when you don't really know exactly where it is, is very risky business, depending on where you are. If leading tornado researchers (Tim and his son Paul Samaras, and Carl Young R.I.P.) can be trapped and killed by a tornado - we lesser humans shouldn't really try that :-(

johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/21 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't be up in Dixie Alley before June 1; stay south of I-10 and east of I-95. And the same goes for the classic Tornado Alley. If an outbreak is forecast, go south and/or east. In the past two outbreaks _three days_ warning was given, plenty of time to move to avoid the weather. This of course applies to travelers, not stationary people. Stationary RVers might want to rethink where they are.

If you can move, there's really no excuse.

-jbh-

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/21 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our weather radio automatically knows what county we are in. Easy to use.

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

The best weather app I have found is “Zoom weather”, cost five dollars and well worth it... picture below. Paid for itself when I was able to shoot the gap between two huge thunderstorms in Nebraska one evening...slight rain for 30 seconds. When you click on the box it expands and gives you the speed and intensity of the thunderstorms cell...2nd picture. The underlying map is as good as any Google map and I use it as a moving navigation tool.

This looks interesting. Is this for Apple only?

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Storms and Tornados
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.