|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Storms and Tornados

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always carry a battery operated weather radio, but I don't bother setting the county. If the radio alerts, I look at the radar on my phone and decide if I need to check further or not.

I am not saying that is the best, and it is definitely not for everyone, but it works for me.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reader1 wrote:

Crowe wrote:

Also, know what county you are in. Many areas, if not most, post warnings by county.

That is the best advice! We have been in areas where we do not know the county and there are weather watches, never warnings so far.

However....don't rely on technology alone. You could be an area with spotty (or no) service when you arrive, never mind if a storm is approaching.

Carry a good old fashioned map book. I've always had a Rand McNally map book of the USA in my tow vehicle as a backup. It will show the counties and their borders. Also, train yourself to be an observer. Most counties do have border marker signs when you're entering a new county, some will also have a "leaving" sign on their side of the "enter" sign of the other county.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm I missing something here? I receive weather alerts on my phone which uses GPS to track what area I'm in.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a Rand Mcnally road atlas the county's are on the maps. The one in front of me they are a bold print.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

I'm I missing something here? I receive weather alerts on my phone which uses GPS to track what area I'm in.

You'll only get the weather alerts on your phone if you have a signal. Many remote campgrounds (NF, COE, dispersed sites, and even some NP) don't have good, or sometimes any, cellular reception, but will still be able to receive weather alerts by radio broadcasts. It's good to have both.

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

so do we but what happens when you're in a 'no service' area?

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The low/no service issue is important and there are campgrounds where this is a problem. We have a weather radio that also can be cranked to keep us up to date and that helps.

Where there’s a good cell service signal you can also track storms using the interactive VIPIR radar of local television stations. Make sure your smart phone has its location turned on so you can see where you are on the VIPIR map.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/21 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On most of the campground brochures (if they have one), they will include emergency information and many times that includes the county name and the emergency radio stations.

Not all campgrounds provide brochures, but if they do, check for this info.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thom02099 wrote:

Reader1 wrote:

Crowe wrote:

Also, know what county you are in. Many areas, if not most, post warnings by county.

That is the best advice! We have been in areas where we do not know the county and there are weather watches, never warnings so far.

However....don't rely on technology alone. You could be an area with spotty (or no) service when you arrive, never mind if a storm is approaching.

Carry a good old fashioned map book. I've always had a Rand McNally map book of the USA in my tow vehicle as a backup. It will show the counties and their borders. Also, train yourself to be an observer. Most counties do have border marker signs when you're entering a new county, some will also have a "leaving" sign on their side of the "enter" sign of the other county.

Good advice. We are all too dependent upon technology and forget the good "old fashioned" ways. I should have remembered that-for our honeymoon in May, 1984 we packed up all of our camping gear (yes, camping on my honeymoon, in a tent!) and drove from MA to SD, CO and WY. We hit multiple tornado advisories and one warning. If it wasn't for the map book we would not know what county we were in.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/21 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

so do we but what happens when you're in a 'no service' area?
Very seldom do I not have cell service at a camoground. Before I travel I check the weather to the area I plan on going. I do not travel if sever weather is forecasted. I also have two weather radios that are seldom used. I try not to put myself in a bad situation but understand sometimes it's unavoidable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Storms and Tornados
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.