|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lock em up... a long story

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

Interesting point about the chain through the wheels. I might do that on one of my trailers. I have a hitch lock on the 5th wheel. Mostly to stop the opportunist. I think my house is fairly secure and with dogs and cameras, not much chance for someone to get in here, unless they know we are gone.

I have a place that I take my trailer for service. They make me remove all personal items, even the propane tanks. They have seen people take all kinds of things from their lot. Since the storage keys are mostly the same, it doesn't take much for someone to get in. Propane is used in making meth so those guys look for places to grab propane tanks.

Just to be clear, it isn't the propane the meth cooks are after, it's the cylinders. They use the cylinders to transport anhydrous ammonia used in meth production. If you spot a cylinder at a refillers or in an exchange rack with green corrosion around the brass valve, stay away from it.

I use a chain lock called a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain with Disc Lock from axle it wheel, aint goin’ nowhere!

BadgerMcAdams

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roam1 wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

Interesting point about the chain through the wheels. I might do that on one of my trailers. I have a hitch lock on the 5th wheel. Mostly to stop the opportunist. I think my house is fairly secure and with dogs and cameras, not much chance for someone to get in here, unless they know we are gone.

I have a place that I take my trailer for service. They make me remove all personal items, even the propane tanks. They have seen people take all kinds of things from their lot. Since the storage keys are mostly the same, it doesn't take much for someone to get in. Propane is used in making meth so those guys look for places to grab propane tanks.

Just to be clear, it isn't the propane the meth cooks are after, it's the cylinders. They use the cylinders to transport anhydrous ammonia used in meth production. If you spot a cylinder at a refillers or in an exchange rack with green corrosion around the brass valve, stay away from it.

I use a chain lock called a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain with Disc Lock from axle it wheel, aint goin’ nowhere!

Before you get too comfortable...go look at this guys YouTube channel

LockPickingLawyer-Krypto search

While there are very, very few people that have this guys lock picking skills, he has picked the high security locks that we used in the military on munitions bunkers, without breaking a sweat. Yeah, this guy made me question having locks at all. But as I said, there are very few people who can pop a lock as quickly as this guy can.

Just saying, maybe multiple lines of defense (hitch/pin lock and chains on wheels, etc) may make a thief move on down the road.

Just my two cents...

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watch the local video recordings of thefts posted online.

Like car thefts, there are different levels:

joy riding - these are the opportunists. They are just looking to get what is inside the RV and easy to carry away. If they see there is no security like a hitch lock, they may decide to just take the trailer, but they weren't planning on it. Basic locks, etc will deter them.

auto theft - these are the ones that you want to be able to stop. They see an unattended trailer with no security and easily accessible. Just pull up, attach the chains, and get out of there. They can stop and hitch correctly once they get out of visual sight. They will sell the rv to the homeless or addicts for a few bucks after taking everything out of it. It's a quickie job for some quickie money done by people who survive by theft. They have tools to break through the basic security (bolt cutters, crowbars, etc). They have scanned the area and know when to hit. They fake stories for the neighbors if questioned. And they will leave and come back later to finish the job. They don't care if they destroy your rig in the act. This is where the multiple lines of defense is important. Each defense must be enough to slow them down significantly from getting the rv moved (a hitch lock won't slow them down because they'll just hook up using chains). No one thing will stop them. You need to make getting the rv a major hassle.

chop shop - these are the bigtime thieves. They will bust through all your security to get your rig. They want YOUR rig for a reason. You're not going to prevent these guys because they have the tools, resources, and incentive to succeed. They will break through the highest levels of security to get your rig.

Probably about 75-80% of crimes with rvs fall into the joy riding category. Maybe 9-20% fall into the auto theft category. Only 1-5% will fall into the chop shop category.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear it was located quickly. Bottom line is that the idea behind any security measures is the encourage the thief to skip your stuff (car, rv, boat, house, etc.) and go to someone else's because it is less trouble. The more trouble you make it, the more likely the thief is to just move on.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One simple and inexpensive way to make a trailer significantly less appealing to thieves is to park it such that the tongue is near and directed towards a wall of your house or a sturdy fence or some such. It's a lot harder to steal a trailer when you can't easily hook it up to a tow vehicle.

Of course, that does mean you need to figure out some way to jockey it into that position without injuring yourself in the process.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

kellem wrote:

Bizarre story, thanks for sharing.
Not sure how thieves have a chance today with most homeowners and businesses sporting security cameras.

I would suggest to your neighbor to also join the masses and install cameras.

Security cameras don't prevent crime - they just hopefully provide proof to prosecute the criminals after the crime.

My cameras have sirens that can be enabled while sleeping or away.....that would be discouraging to a thief. Imo

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

kellem wrote:

Bizarre story, thanks for sharing.
Not sure how thieves have a chance today with most homeowners and businesses sporting security cameras.

I would suggest to your neighbor to also join the masses and install cameras.

Security cameras don't prevent crime - they just hopefully provide proof to prosecute the criminals after the crime.

My cameras have sirens that can be enabled while sleeping or away.....that would be discouraging to a thief. Imo

I've seen ring videos where none of that stopped the thief from a quick grab and run.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailers are a bit more difficult to recover but there is hope for your neighbor... Thing is once it's recovered he may not wish to go near it..

One class of criminal loves mobile housing.. They set up their labs inside and "COOK" illegal stuff,.. They move often so that the neighbors do not get suspicious.'

Problem.. the residue of their operation..... TOXIC

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

TOne class of criminal loves mobile housing.. They set up their labs inside and "COOK" illegal stuff,.. They move often so that the neighbors do not get suspicious.'
That was a TV show, but I wonder how often it really happens.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

TOne class of criminal loves mobile housing.. They set up their labs inside and "COOK" illegal stuff,.. They move often so that the neighbors do not get suspicious.'
That was a TV show, but I wonder how often it really happens.

When my motorhome was stolen, they moved it a few blocks away. They then took the AGM battery and replaced it with an old cheapie, siphoned out the gas (cut the intake hose to do so, but didn't realize there was a second tank), took everything out of it and then "sold" it to some loser. Either the loser or the thief used it for no more than 24 hours. They were gone when the police recovered it.

I suspect most do that - steal it, use it for a short time and then walk away. To keep it longer risks getting busted. And they won't vother refilling tanks, emptying tanks or recharging - so they will walk away when they run out.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lock em up... a long story
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.