|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lock em up... a long story

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

Yeah, don't be sharing information about neighbors. I also learned to take out my phone and take pictures of vehicles and drivers/people in them when they are going around trying to sealcoat your driveway or sell anything or other gypsy BS scams. I don't care if it's not polite, they leave pretty quick when the camera comes out. Never believe BS lost dog stories or other garbage from strangers.

This was my first thought... I'd be pretty annoyed if my neighbor told a random person driving down my street that I wasn't home (or in this case, hard of hearing).

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

mudhound

BEAN STATION, TN USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate to say it but, A lock only keeps an honest person honest. A dog gone crook will steal no matter what!

">

God Bless

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailernovice wrote:

I am curious: What's the point?

Be aware of your surroundings.. Do not give away secrets like "Doorbell does not work" and put up security cameras to help the police identify the bad guys.

Story from This Is True:
Man told a neighborhod "Sorry to bother you but till this guy pays what he owes me I'm going to be setting off bombs.. You can call the cops, they won't catch me.

Well he set off a bomb (no injuries minor damage) and they called the cops. A security camera showed them who done it and now.... Yup. He's in jail.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sprint99

Merton, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While we take every precaution we can with locking our RV and trailers, the absolute best thing to have is a great insurance plan/carrier. Another very affordable peace of mind item to have is a GPS Tracker. I installed one in our rigs and know immediately if they are moved and can go live to see almost to the foot of where they are.

Was very helpful when we had to leave a trailer in Florida this past winter that was then hauled to the manufacturer in Indiana. I knew where the rig was every step of the way. At home, each unit is set to alert me via text and email if either are moved. The slightest movement or shake will send an alert. We paid $149 for the unit and yearly service is only $149. Totally worth it to me.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can say as a retired cop is ensure all your property is insured.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

Jim n Steph

Goshen Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple years ago new travel trailers where being stolen from storage lots in Elkhart County . They were parting them out selling the appliances, propane bottles etc. Worth more parts and pretty much untraceable

2003 Silverado 1500HD Vortec 6.0 4.10 2012 Flagstaff 831FKBSS

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I was loading for a trip and had the class c sitting at the curb 30ft from the house running. Thief jumped in and took off. Police found it in about an hour stuck in a corn field about a mile away. Everything was ok other than a lot of mud.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll bet a fair amount become 'Zombie RVs'. They turn up in dead end streets and side roads all over the metro area. Beat up and run down. But someone is staying there. They get moved every few days. Most have no plates.

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After I helped solve a armed robbery crime because of something odd I saw, I heard from several police that a lot of crimes only get solved because somebody saw something.

Armed robbery, 4 teens lifted a phone off a 10 year old at gun point. How did they get caught, they threw the phone case out of the car nearly in front of my house. Hour later, I saw a FB post from the kids mom that her son was robbed by 4 kids in a black challenger. I love the Charger/Challenger vehicles, and that one got my attention.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

I'll bet a fair amount become 'Zombie RVs'. They turn up in dead end streets and side roads all over the metro area. Beat up and run down. But someone is staying there. They get moved every few days. Most have no plates.

My wife and I call them "Motorhomeless".

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lock em up... a long story
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.