|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why do you Cummins guys want more gears

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^If the 10 speed is responsible for that then you should be able to show a 2021 Cummins getting spanked by a stock 10 speed Duramax .... I think you’ll come up empty handed.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Here's a crude test of a F350 vs Ram 3500. Torque rise or not the 10 speed delivered the performance for reasons we all should know.

Link

BTW... Towing Just Got Easier!

Very crude. That Aisin doesn't shift fast and the 2-3 gear is very steep and almost sounded like he left off at 6:53 of the video due to how low 3rd gear drops the RPMs Definitely aren't going to win any races with the Aisin. With 4.10 gears at full throttle, going from 2nd to 3rd will drop you almsot 1,000 rpm from about 2,850 to 1,900. That is if the TC locks up. If the TC isn't locked, then you are limited to how effiecnent your TC is at putting engine power to the trans.

Although, I am more concerned about how the trucks do at 90+F temps holding 65 mph while towing at 14k fiver. That is a more useful test for me.

In regards to the 6R140 and 10R140, I am just going based on what I am seeing in Ford ServiceNet. The 10R140 uses the same base shifting controls and engagement as the 6R140 which they had ZF design for them. ZF has been using thius type for years and was the only ones do do so. Ford never used this type of controls before the 6R so in my book they used what they learned from ZF in the 6R and carried it over to the 10R hence for the 6R was the basis for the 10R. They also share many base parts.

* This post was edited 04/05/21 12:58pm by ShinerBock *

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shiner you would like my combo. 100 degree weather and 6% grades nothing has ever come close to being hot.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Shiner you would like my combo. 100 degree weather and 6% grades nothing has ever come close to being hot.

I am not trying to throw dirt on you trans. It is an industrial workhorse meant to tow and is not known for its quick shifts. It also has a very steep 2-3 so you are not going to win any short distance drag racing battles in it. It is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

The other downside to all Ram HD's(including mine) is their torque converter. They are very inefficient when not locked up due to their high stall speed. You are hardly putting any power to the ground until locked. I noticed a huge difference in off-the-line performance when I changed out the stock torque converter to a 15-blade ultra-low stall that put way more power to the ground when not locked.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^^If the 10 speed is responsible for that then you should be able to show a 2021 Cummins getting spanked by a stock 10 speed Duramax .... I think you’ll come up empty handed.

The Duramax lacks torque to compete with the Cummins

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Here's a crude test of a F350 vs Ram 3500. Torque rise or not the 10 speed delivered the performance for reasons we all should know.

Link

BTW... Towing Just Got Easier!

Very crude. That Aisin doesn't shift fast and the 2-3 gear is very steep and almost sounded like he left off at 6:53 of the video due to how low 3rd gear drops the RPMs Definitely aren't going to win any races with the Aisin. With 4.10 gears at full throttle, going from 2nd to 3rd will drop you almsot 1,000 rpm from about 2,850 to 1,900. That is if the TC locks up. If the TC isn't locked, then you are limited to how effiecnent your TC is at putting engine power to the trans.

Although, I am more concerned about how the trucks do at 90+F temps holding 65 mph while towing at 14k fiver. That is a more useful test for me.

In regards to the 6R140 and 10R140, I am just going based on what I am seeing in Ford ServiceNet. The 10R140 uses the same base shifting controls and engagement as the 6R140 which they had ZF design for them. ZF has been using thius type for years and was the only ones do do so. Ford never used this type of controls before the 6R so in my book they used what they learned from ZF in the 6R and carried it over to the 10R hence for the 6R was the basis for the 10R. They also share many base parts.

I believe this crude video again answers the OP question. This isn't about torque converter efficiency, gear shifting, TC lockup, etc... It's about having the right gear for the application and there's almost infinite amount of applications of hills, mountains, load, not lugging the engine, and keeping the engine in it sweet spot which only helps with long term reliability and improved fuel efficiency...etc...etc...

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

I believe this crude video again answers the OP question. This isn't about torque converter efficiency, gear shifting, TC lockup, etc... It's about having the right gear for the application and there's almost infinite amount of applications of hills, mountains, load, not lugging the engine, and keeping the engine in it sweet spot which only helps with long term reliability and improved fuel efficiency...etc...etc...

My TC inefficiency, steep gear ratio, and slow shifting were in regards to your drag race video. The rest of what you said is basically what I stated in my first post in this thread

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am not trying to throw dirt on you trans. It is an industrial workhorse meant to tow and is not known for its quick shifts. It also has a very steep 2-3 so you are not going to win any short distance drag racing battles in it. It is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

The other downside to all Ram HD's(including mine) is their torque converter. They are very inefficient when not locked up due to their high stall speed. You are hardly putting any power to the ground until locked. I noticed a huge difference in off-the-line performance when I changed out the stock torque converter to a 15-blade ultra-low stall that put way more power to the ground when not locked.

I responded to what you said about temps. You just responded to I have no idea.

You don’t drive an AISIN.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

The Duramax lacks torque to compete with the Cummins

But But I thought four more gears was the save all???

bguy

The Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the Cummins needs 1 gear.
I can only imagine how it would feel if they could get a CVT to live behind one of these beasts( incl PS and DM ). The engine would go to peak torque and stay there while you would feel as though the hand of God was propelling you forward.

---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why do you Cummins guys want more gears
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.