|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why do you Cummins guys want more gears

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^Peak torque to the rear wheels at full throttle would mean the CVT would adjust to keep the engine at 2800 rpm where it makes peak hp and it still wouldn’t keep up to the Powerstroke.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^Peak torque to the rear wheels at full throttle would mean the CVT would adjust to keep the engine at 2800 rpm where it makes peak hp and it still wouldn’t keep up to the Powerstroke.

I-6 vs V-8 is a race is no contest, the V-8 will win most of the time due to a shorter stroke and less rotating mass. When we bought our RAMs(three of them) it was to tow trailers not race.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it!

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

I-6 vs V-8 is a race is no contest, the V-8 will win most of the time due to a shorter stroke and less rotating mass. When we bought our RAMs(three of them) it was to tow trailers not race.

There has never been a diesel in a pick up with a power curve shaped to pull like the 2021 Cummins.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How does the saying go. Kid one says my mother is better looking than yours. Kid two says, right my dad thinks so also.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

The v8 has more horsepower which is why it will win a timed race. Many just prefer the drivability and feel of the torque curve the I6 delivers.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+120hp.

2012 Dodge dually diesel. CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Typically a truck that can accelerate faster while towing can also tow easier with less drama. Acceleration is just one metric to measure towing performance.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Me Again wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Typically a truck that can accelerate faster while towing can also tow easier with less drama. Acceleration is just one metric to measure towing performance.

It kind of depends what you mean by 'drama". The 2021 Powerstroke/10 speed is definitely going to get to the top of the hill 1st vs the 2021 Cummins, but to do so, it might drop 4 gears, then pick up a gear and drop it one more time. The Cummins, on the other hand, might drop its two overdrive gears and settle in and pull .... slowly accelerating just a bit where the hill levels out and digging back in when it needs to.

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Shinerbock wrote:

But you have to admit, this hatred for anything Allison is a bit irrational.

I think it is because the Allison was the first auto tranny worth having in the 3/4-1 ton class. I remember when it was common for auto trannys to need rebuliding at 70-90K. I bought a 96 Dodge 1 ton back then. Got the manual so it would last.

GM bringing the Allison on board forced the others to step up their game. But (perhaps because it was first) the Allison for quite awhile was considered by many to be the gold standard.
Naturally this did not set well with OB fans.
[emoticon]

GM owned Allison until 2007. The original Allison was Allison. When GM sold Allison to The Carlyle Group and Onex Corporation for $5.6B, the deal allowed GM to continue using the name and the design.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Shinerbock wrote:

But you have to admit, this hatred for anything Allison is a bit irrational.

I think it is because the Allison was the first auto tranny worth having in the 3/4-1 ton class. I remember when it was common for auto trannys to need rebuliding at 70-90K. I bought a 96 Dodge 1 ton back then. Got the manual so it would last.

GM bringing the Allison on board forced the others to step up their game. But (perhaps because it was first) the Allison for quite awhile was considered by many to be the gold standard.
Naturally this did not set well with OB fans.
[emoticon]

GM owned Allison until 2007. The original Allison was Allison. When GM sold Allison to The Carlyle Group and Onex Corporation for $5.6B, the deal allowed GM to continue using the name and the design.

This is a new design and I am betting Allison gets a cut for using their name on something they have nothing to do with.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why do you Cummins guys want more gears
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.