RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: GCWR - Can't Be Changed?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > GCWR - Can't Be Changed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Gene K 2

USA

New Member

Joined: 03/16/2021

View Profile



Posted: 03/31/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/31/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You get to keep the GCWR but the 3.55 axle means that you don't have Max Payload Package and that means that you likely don't have the GVWR to handle the tongue weight associated with a trailer heavy enough to get you to your GCWR.

Gene K 2

USA

New Member

Joined: 03/16/2021

View Profile



Posted: 03/31/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Your gcwr/gvwr us a warranty item only. Most states you get the gvw/gcw you pay for. Here in Wa st, you would have an 8k registration, that is legal max you can have on your four truck tires. If you wanted to buy a 10 or 12k or up to around a 20k plate, you would be legal to that amount. Of course their are some other rules and regs you would not meet running down the road at 20k lbs. I can't recommend you do so, but you would be legal from a weight standpoint, but illegal from a braking standpoint. THAT law will hurt you way the heck more than the weight law ever will!

Marty


Here for private or farm use you only have to register pickups for their empty weight without trailer.

Pickup is defined as 14,000 GVWR or less.

Gene K 2

USA

New Member

Joined: 03/16/2021

View Profile



Posted: 03/31/21 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

You get to keep the GCWR but the 3.55 axle means that you don't have Max Payload Package and that means that you likely don't have the GVWR to handle the tongue weight associated with a trailer heavy enough to get you to your GCWR.


For a travel trailer, yes.

I have trailers I can get to 18100 GCW without busting Truck GVWR. I have a little over 1900 Payload.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

Moderator

Joined: 03/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/31/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gene,
ALL you have to worry about is warranty.
With what you said re up to 14000 have, you're legal if pulled over to 14000 on your two axles.
As far as legal gcw goes, again, legal us max your registered for. Probably upwards of 80,000 lbs. Assuming you have enough axles etc under you to carry the weight from the road bed engineer specs.
But, if you blow your tranny up at 20k miles, doing 80k lbs, ford will deny warranty as you're over 18000 gcw.

Yes, I've been pulled over at 150%of manufactures ratings, I have YET to get an aver weight ticket, as I've always been under registered weight/tax paid for damage I'm doing to roads at that weight! That's ALL an leo/cveo cares about from a weight perspective.
I have had warranty denied due to above and beyond GM spec for what should or could have been under warranty.
Marty

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/30/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/31/21 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

You get to keep the GCWR but the 3.55 axle means that you don't have Max Payload Package and that means that you likely don't have the GVWR to handle the tongue weight associated with a trailer heavy enough to get you to your GCWR.

In 2019, a Max Tow came with the 3.55. HD Towing package only came with the 3.31. HDPP came with the 3.73.


2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC


Gene K 2

USA

New Member

Joined: 03/16/2021

View Profile



Posted: 03/31/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:


In 2019, a Max Tow came with the 3.55. HD Towing package only came with the 3.31. HDPP came with the 3.73.


In 2018 the 3.55 was available on any 3.5EB unless the model came standard with 3.73 or 4.10.

I was unaware of the restriction in 2019. The RV&TT Guide still showed them as an qavailable combo.

Thankfully in 2021 you can order the 3.55 on any 3.5EB except models that come standard with 3.73.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/31/21 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:



Yes, I've been pulled over at 150%of manufactures ratings, I have YET to get an aver weight ticket, as I've always been under registered weight/tax paid for damage I'm doing to roads at that weight! That's ALL an leo/cveo cares about from a weight perspective.
I have had warranty denied due to above and beyond GM spec for what should or could have been under warranty.
Marty


Or to put it more succinctly, GVW and GCVW ratings only matter if the cop is planning on writing you a ticket for not having the proper driver's license classification.
Registered GVWs and bridge/axle load limits matter if he's planning on writing you an equipment violation.

Neither of them really matter when computing what you think you can tow or haul.

But, hey it's rvnet and there's a dead horse to beat somewhere. May as well be in this thread.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/30/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/31/21 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gene K 2 wrote:

Groover wrote:


In 2019, a Max Tow came with the 3.55. HD Towing package only came with the 3.31. HDPP came with the 3.73.


In 2018 the 3.55 was available on any 3.5EB unless the model came standard with 3.73 or 4.10.

I was unaware of the restriction in 2019. The RV&TT Guide still showed them as an qavailable combo.

Thankfully in 2021 you can order the 3.55 on any 3.5EB except models that come standard with 3.73.

Not a restriction, just what comes with that option package. You can always pay extra for a better axle, like I did, with certain limitations.

Gene K 2

USA

New Member

Joined: 03/16/2021

View Profile



Posted: 04/01/21 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

Gene K 2 wrote:

Groover wrote:


In 2019, a Max Tow came with the 3.55. HD Towing package only came with the 3.31. HDPP came with the 3.73.


In 2018 the 3.55 was available on any 3.5EB unless the model came standard with 3.73 or 4.10.

I was unaware of the restriction in 2019. The RV&TT Guide still showed them as an qavailable combo.

Thankfully in 2021 you can order the 3.55 on any 3.5EB except models that come standard with 3.73.

Not a restriction, just what comes with that option package. You can always pay extra for a better axle, like I did, with certain limitations.


Okay, I thought when you said HD Tow only came with 3.31 in '19 you meant exclusively.

I think the only thing that was required in '18 was Elocker and $100.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > GCWR - Can't Be Changed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.