RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Water Damage - Is it worth restoring?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Water Damage - Is it worth restoring?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give it away if you can. Make sure title is transferred so that if the county/state find it on the side of the road...they don't come after you.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The result of water damage to the front of my last travel trailer was replacement of the front cap and over $6,000 CDN. Sounds like you might be ahead if you sold your trailer for whatever you could get and put the $ toward some replacement.

2014 Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD 6.5' box SRW Denali Duramax Anderson
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will be a costly and time consuming job to repair and since you are not able to repair it yourself, selling it or scrapping it will be your best options.

To sell it, just because it was worth $15K when you bought it, doesn't mean it would have been worth $15K 18yrs later without the water damage.

Without the water damage, you would have a trailer worth on the best day $2,500..

With the water damage (and I can assure you it goes considerably further than what you can see on the surface) your looking at scrap prices, basically worth the sum of the good working USED parts like fridge ($200), furnace ($100), stove ($100), water heater ($100), A/C unit ($150), doors ($50), windows ($50 each) and frame ($300-$500 with a good title) and perhaps a few odd parts like tub and tanks.

So, you could take the time and sell each part separate and get more or sell it for reasonably low price and get it out of your hair quicker.

Just a rough estimate, you may have about $1600 worth of used parts with the potential to sell.. But that will take time and work to remove, list and sell..

I would try advertising it for $1,500 as is with a clear disclosure that it has considerable water damage that needs repaired and take the first offer for more than $500..

There are people looking for inexpensive fixeruppers and or parts trailers, price it right and it will sell.

Craigslist is a good free place to post, you can try Facebooks seller section also. If it is in a public storage yard, put a for sale sign on it.. If you have a place in your front yard to put it, move there and put a for sale sign on it..

Taffy.C

MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great advice - thanks a bunch

2003 Explorer Limited 4X4 V8 Advancetrac 3.73 Axle
Jayco Kiwi Too 22U
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/21 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as it's moveable, never underestimate what someone will buy on Craigslist.

Throw a plywood roof on it, and someone's got a great hunting or fishing cabin complete with a propane heater and toilet....

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/21 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sell it with disclosed damage. Someone with the ability to do it themselves will buy it and repair it.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taffy.C wrote:

Hi There,

Trailer has been in continuous outdoor storage 250 miles away for 6 years. I drove up yesterday to do some repairs prior to transporting to my current location. I found that there is water damage - the roof seal has opened up pretty badly in the rear corner, and to a lesser extent across the back. There is visible bulging in the roof in those sections. Down the side (outside) there is a dry lichen-like growth - looks like where the water flowed down the inside. The fiberglass is also bulging slightly away from the frame there.

Inside there is visible damage directly underneath the location of the broken roof seal that extends across to the center line. Quite likely there is mold in there.

This is an 18 y/o trailer that I paid $15K for back then. Other than this, everything seems to be in good shape. But I think this is going to be a very costly repair job, and I can't be sure there aren't other areas of damage as well.

Just looking for opinions - is it time for a new trailer? Is this worth spending more money on? Its not something I can do myself.

Link to photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qgdukjismwpem9m/AADTygxczmnDN4635Tqbfy6sa?dl=0

Hi Daniel,

I have acquired a somewhat extreme retirement hobby, I restore old wet campers. Get them cheap, and make a project out of it. I'm very selective about they ones I want to do, as I'm not wanting to get into 100% restoring. I can build one from the ground up easier when they are totally gone.

A camper that old, been outside untouched for the last 6 years, there are leaks in places you cannot see yet, beyond the rear wall issue. There are ways and tools to inspect the camper more to find them, but in your case, you may not want to even go there.

Everything in that vintage camper is rebuildable, cost and time aside. Your first issue, you do not have the ability to do the work yourself. To hire this work out it not cost practical. You will easily overrun the $15K you paid for it 18 years ago and that is without the parts.

I found this link at the Jayco site, is this your 22U, a 2003? https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2003-kiwi-too-htt/

I am currently restoring a 21 footer, aluminum sided, different floor plan, but it had been leaking in the back corner for several years before I acquired it cheap. The water goes down inside the walls, stops at the waterproof membrane on the bottom and starts taking out the floor. And that was only the back wall leaks. As of today, I have 658 work hours into it and I will be a little over $5,500 in parts by the time I am done. I am about 90% done now. The only way this can may any kind of practical sense to do is, you do the work yourself and you enjoy doing it.

Hope this helps

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a big DIY job (ask me how I know). You're going to need to be real motivated and the new rubber ain't cheap. I'm not saying don't fix it. I do believe that unless you enjoy this kind of thing it's not worth the effort or expense. I'd sell it bloody cheap to make it move fast and don't look back. If you think this kind of thing is fun then I'd say go for it. If you do it yourself and get a good deal on the supplies you need it might be worth the effort. If you do it don't try to use anything other than exactly the rubber and coatings required for that job. Nothing else will last very long and next year you'll be doing it again. And, however you think it will take, times three...

Taffy.C

MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JBarca wrote:

Hi Daniel,

I have acquired a somewhat extreme retirement hobby, I restore old wet campers. Get them cheap, and make a project out of it. I'm very selective about they ones I want to do, as I'm not wanting to get into 100% restoring. I can build one from the ground up easier when they are totally gone.

A camper that old, been outside untouched for the last 6 years, there are leaks in places you cannot see yet, beyond the rear wall issue. There are ways and tools to inspect the camper more to find them, but in your case, you may not want to even go there.

Everything in that vintage camper is rebuildable, cost and time aside. Your first issue, you do not have the ability to do the work yourself. To hire this work out it not cost practical. You will easily overrun the $15K you paid for it 18 years ago and that is without the parts.

I found this link at the Jayco site, is this your 22U, a 2003? https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2003-kiwi-too-htt/

I am currently restoring a 21 footer, aluminum sided, different floor plan, but it had been leaking in the back corner for several years before I acquired it cheap. The water goes down inside the walls, stops at the waterproof membrane on the bottom and starts taking out the floor. And that was only the back wall leaks. As of today, I have 658 work hours into it and I will be a little over $5,500 in parts by the time I am done. I am about 90% done now. The only way this can may any kind of practical sense to do is, you do the work yourself and you enjoy doing it.

Hope this helps

John

John - didn't see your reply from a few days ago until just now. Thanks for those great insights - and yes that is the 22U I have. Yeah - I just don't have the chops or the time to do it myself - I wish I did! It must be tremendously satisfying to do the kind of restoration you do as a hobby! Thanks again.

Daniel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Water Damage - Is it worth restoring?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.