|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Waited on Canada long enough

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

garyhaupt wrote:

If folks from the lower 48 want to visit Alaska...go. Take a ferry or fly. You are not in any way, impeded.

Gary Haupt
Not quite true.

RV on the ferries does not allow for freezers to be powered and when you have a 17cu ft chest, a 3 1/2 cu ft basement and 3 door conventional refer/freezer full of shrimp, halibut and salmon, there's no way to get it home. Ferry travel times (actually on the water, not waiting in port for loading, unloading, and waiting for connections is 97 hours. 4+days) I don't care how good your batteries are, that is NOT an option. This would be our 10th trip up and we are experienced with the ferries.

Please tell me you are kidding me right now...please. People are making huge sacrifices to try and curb this pandemic....and you complain that you can't keep your freezer cold enough to get your catch home?

Gary

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

garyhaupt wrote:

If folks from the lower 48 want to visit Alaska...go. Take a ferry or fly. You are not in any way, impeded.

Gary Haupt
Not quite true.

RV on the ferries does not allow for freezers to be powered and when you have a 17cu ft chest, a 3 1/2 cu ft basement and 3 door conventional refer/freezer full of shrimp, halibut and salmon, there's no way to get it home. Ferry travel times (actually on the water, not waiting in port for loading, unloading, and waiting for connections is 97 hours. 4+days) I don't care how good your batteries are, that is NOT an option. This would be our 10th trip up and we are experienced with the ferries.

Use dry ice.

Upgrade battery bank to SiO2 so that if they do run dead they can be recovered.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

Yes you are. COVID test requirements, masks on airplanes (federal requirement) and just general COVID-related behavior alterations.

I am going to AK in June. By that time both my husband and I will be well past both of our shots. The thought of wearing a mask arriving at the airport 2 hours early, 10 hours of flight time and a one-hour layover is absolutely terrifying to me. But it's the rules and I will abide by them. Everywhere we are staying operated last year and have COVID protocols in place. Other than the remote lodge (where we don't have a choice) our plan is to be away from people as much as possible. We will do take-out or eat outside as necessary. I do believe by then most states will be pushing 50% vaccination. Not herd immunity but a fairly good comfort level especially since we will be protected. Some of you may criticize and say travel is not necessary but it is. Our emotional well-being is suffering and consider the risk no different than going to a grocery store or Home Depot.

We have not seen family members other than our son and his fiance (in our bubble) since a year ago Christmas. We have abided by all rules and regulations and it's time to start living again. All things being equal and as long as protocols are followed, it's OK to start worrying about your catch. Think about what you are going to wear to the next gathering you are going to. Start planning that vacation or where you are going to go out to dinner. We all need to move on.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

pigman1 wrote:

garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt
Not quite true.

Please tell me you are kidding me right now...please. People are making huge sacrifices to try and curb this pandemic....and you complain that you can't keep your freezer cold enough to get your catch home?

Gary

LOL...........

#Cancelpigmanscoolerofshrimphalibutandsalmon

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

The thought of wearing a mask arriving at the airport 2 hours early, 10 hours of flight time and a one-hour layover is absolutely terrifying to me.

Why is wearing a mask terrifying?

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to get back out there on the road again too. My wife and I have put off out trip to Tuktoyaktuk for the second time this summer. We had to cancel a 35 day cruise to the South Pacific last March, 7 days before the boat sailed, and we all know what happened on this cruise ships. We haven’t hugged our grandkids or our kids for over a year.
We miss our Neighbours coming over to our yard for a beer and a fire.
We miss our visits with my cousin and his wife who both got COVID which they got as emergency room nurses in Phoenix
We miss a lot like everybody does.
As for face masks:
Where I worked, I had to wear a 1/2 face respiratory on my face, with safety and or reading safety glasses for 11 hrs of my 12 hr shift. The only time we could take them off was during our two 1/2 hr lunch breaks, or anytime we went into a clean air / cool down station to get a drink of water, cool down, check instruments etc. I worked there for 39 years, so theses medical surgical masks we are to wear are nothing.
Wearing the masks are not only helping you, they are also helping the population at large.

Let’s all stay safe and happy out there everyone

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I am in health care, staying home was not an option. And as my perceived risk of getting covid from my patients, seemed much higher to me, that say going out to eat, travel and so on we continued to do such. ( with all precautions, mask and so forth) So we were never all that isolated.

I was wondering, are those of you that did isolate, are you having anxiety, about getting out again, or is it something you are chomping at the bit to do?

Reason I ask is, hearing from folks, they are pretty worried about getting back out. And I wonder how much of that is covid? and how much is it, just getting back in the game again?

And, I am not a covid denier, and this post is in no way political, nor is it a troll. Am just wondering if some folks are just having a hard getting back in society so to speak, after a year plus at home

* This post was edited 04/04/21 03:06pm by winnietrey *

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a seasonal site but of course all activities will be cancelled again for covid but im guessing once again that transient camping will be delayed.
And this is due to the high numbers of covid and hospitals being pushed to capacity.
This could have been over by now except for the covid deniers worried about temporarily losing their freedom to spit on people....

2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/21 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Crowe wrote:

The thought of wearing a mask arriving at the airport 2 hours early, 10 hours of flight time and a one-hour layover is absolutely terrifying to me.

Why is wearing a mask terrifying?

It's not the mask but the length of time. and not being able to take it off. I am weirdly claustrophobic and subject to panic attacks if I feel I can't breathe or can't escape. When the pandemic first broke I could barely get through the grocery shopping without panicking. Now it's not a big deal but I never have one on for more than 30 minutes or so.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

It's not the mask but the length of time. and not being able to take it off. I am weirdly claustrophobic and subject to panic attacks if I feel I can't breathe or can't escape. When the pandemic first broke I could barely get through the grocery shopping without panicking. Now it's not a big deal but I never have one on for more than 30 minutes or so.

Hi Crowe,

May I suggest practising with a mask and increasing the time by five minutes per day? Also look into "tapping" it can help with terror (at least for me).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Waited on Canada long enough
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.