RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Standard hitch vs. gooseneck hitch

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Standard hitch vs. gooseneck hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
tll

NW Wisconsin

Full Member

Joined: 06/20/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/11/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

https://andersenhitches.com/collections/........tch-adapter/products/ranch-hitch-adapter

Big difference in what the memo says and what other members want it to say.
The Andersen type 5th wheel hitch isn't a GN/5th wheel adapter....but Andersens Ranch adapter is.


That's my take on it also (from my uneducated fifth wheel hitch mind). The memo does not involve the Anderson Ultimate hitch at all.
It would be important to me to have a hitch that removes easily, as I use my truck daily for tools and equipment. I have to reload all of my equipment after every weekend of camping, having to hoist a big hitch most every Friday and Sunday afternoon during the summer is a no go for me.... I've been considering the Reese Goose box or the Anderson hitch, both seem to fit my needs, with the Reese leading at the moment.


2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew


cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/11/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tll wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

https://andersenhitches.com/collections/........tch-adapter/products/ranch-hitch-adapter

Big difference in what the memo says and what other members want it to say.
The Andersen type 5th wheel hitch isn't a GN/5th wheel adapter....but Andersens Ranch adapter is.


That's my take on it also (from my uneducated fifth wheel hitch mind). The memo does not involve the Anderson Ultimate hitch at all.
It would be important to me to have a hitch that removes easily, as I use my truck daily for tools and equipment. I have to reload all of my equipment after every weekend of camping, having to hoist a big hitch most every Friday and Sunday afternoon during the summer is a no go for me.... I've been considering the Reese Goose box or the Anderson hitch, both seem to fit my needs, with the Reese leading at the moment.


The Andersen will certainly solve your problem, which is what I wanted when I purchased mine. Hopefully this misleading information about the Andersen warranty will not scare people away, no the Andersen fifth wheel hitch is not a gooseneck adapter ,its a fifth wheel hitch. As jimnlin said ,its reading into something that they want to believe, not what's fact.

SabreCanuck

Winnipeg

Senior Member

Joined: 02/05/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/11/21 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quite simple really. The Anderson bashers always lump “Anderson” into the aluminium roll over ball version and past issues. Anderson still makes a steel version and still makes both versions to fit standard rails. Saying Anderson is bad is like saying every Ford ever built is bad because of the Pinto. But haters gonna hate

IF your truck already has rails, I’d get the rail-steel version. Actually I. Might recommend it anyway as I still don’t understand the “loss of bed” for those two little 1/2” rails sticking up


2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ">

work2much

On the Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/30/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/11/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tll wrote:

I've been following threads like this as we plan on upgrading to a fifth wheel, and really want to make the best choice for a hitch. The above Keystone letter refers to the "Anderson Goose Neck Adapter". No such thing on their website. They offer the "Ranch Hitch Adapter", which appears to be a goose neck adapter, and the "Anderson Ultimate Hitch" Which is a hitch and not an adapter. So what is the above letter referring to? I just don't yet know enough about fifth wheel hitches.


The letter refers to the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel Connection. This is the exact phrasing Anderson uses on their website.

[image]

Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

I have no dog in this race. These look like a quality product and certainly many people use them and are happy. As far as warranty though, at least Keystone is making it pretty clear that you may be denied using this product.


2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

SabreCanuck

Winnipeg

Senior Member

Joined: 02/05/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/12/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

tll wrote:

I've been following threads like this as we plan on upgrading to a fifth wheel, and really want to make the best choice for a hitch. The above Keystone letter refers to the "Anderson Goose Neck Adapter". No such thing on their website. They offer the "Ranch Hitch Adapter", which appears to be a goose neck adapter, and the "Anderson Ultimate Hitch" Which is a hitch and not an adapter. So what is the above letter referring to? I just don't yet know enough about fifth wheel hitches.


The letter refers to the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel Connection. This is the exact phrasing Anderson uses on their website.

[image]

Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

I have no dog in this race. These look like a quality product and certainly many people use them and are happy. As far as warranty though, at least Keystone is making it pretty clear that you may be denied using this product.


Any particular reason why you would misrepresent the terminology by leaving out the MODEL of the Anderson hitch. The next 3 words in your highlight specify the Anderson “goose neck adaptor” which most certainly is NOT the Anderson ultimate that you say voids waarranty. It makes sense the Anderson goose neck adaptor would void the same warranty as every other GOOSE NECK adaptor.

I also have no dog, but would recommend that anyone purchasing would do their diligence away from Internet forums

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/12/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree . Anyone with a little logic can see how the Andersen works . There can be no more stress on a pin box then with a conventional hitch . It does have a smaller footprint when making contact with plate of the pin box , and could cause some deflection on that plate on the more cheaply built pin boxes .

work2much

On the Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/30/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/12/21 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SabreCanuck wrote:

work2much wrote:

tll wrote:

I've been following threads like this as we plan on upgrading to a fifth wheel, and really want to make the best choice for a hitch. The above Keystone letter refers to the "Anderson Goose Neck Adapter". No such thing on their website. They offer the "Ranch Hitch Adapter", which appears to be a goose neck adapter, and the "Anderson Ultimate Hitch" Which is a hitch and not an adapter. So what is the above letter referring to? I just don't yet know enough about fifth wheel hitches.


The letter refers to the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel Connection. This is the exact phrasing Anderson uses on their website.

[image]

Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

I have no dog in this race. These look like a quality product and certainly many people use them and are happy. As far as warranty though, at least Keystone is making it pretty clear that you may be denied using this product.


Any particular reason why you would misrepresent the terminology by leaving out the MODEL of the Anderson hitch. The next 3 words in your highlight specify the Anderson “goose neck adaptor” which most certainly is NOT the Anderson ultimate that you say voids waarranty. It makes sense the Anderson goose neck adaptor would void the same warranty as every other GOOSE NECK adaptor.

I also have no dog, but would recommend that anyone purchasing would do their diligence away from Internet forums


The term Goose Neck adapter (as I interpret) simply means you are using the goose neck ball of the truck to adapt to a standard 5th wheel kingpin.

If I said Honda Accord automobile would you be confused what I was talking about because in their literature Honda only called it the Accord? The superfluous terminology does't eliminate the fact that they call the product out exactly as does Anderson. Anderson does not make any other products with this name or anything close.

I agree that people should do their own due diligence. My interpretation is clear. They are talking about the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel connection as stated in the letter. The same product I hyperlinked. There is no alternative explanation and trying to conflate terms to create confusion doesn't make the frame warranty any more secure. I agree the memo could have been written more clearly but the intent is clear (IMO)

That's just my take. People are certainly able to come to their own conclusions. Once again I think based on what I have read and looking at high res pictures the product it looks high quality.

Personally I think it would be foolish to install this on a new RV without clarification in writing that my frame warranty would not be challenged.

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 09/06/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/12/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have a dog in the hunt (sort of) in that I own an Andersen Ultimate Connection. I think the letter from Keystone is pretty clear that they no longer support these hitches. It's nice that they've grandfathered in existing owners.

In my case, my trailer's frame warranty has long expired. I'm not particularly concerned as so many of these hitches are pulling much larger trailers than mine with no issues and because of the fact that Northwoods (Arctic Fox) has a reputation for building a very stout frame.


2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Standard hitch vs. gooseneck hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.