|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel hitches

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CabinetmakerII wrote:

I had purchased the Anderson hitch to replace my B&W 18000 hitch to tow my new 5er that grosses out at 21K. Before I could get it out of the box I saw the Max Pin weight was only 3500 lbs. The pin weight of my 5th wheel is 4300 lbs. Had to go to a Reese

Curious why you would replace the B&W and not go with a new B&W? "Had to go to a REESE"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CabinetmakerII wrote:

I had purchased the Anderson hitch to replace my B&W 18000 hitch to tow my new 5er that grosses out at 21K. Before I could get it out of the box I saw the Max Pin weight was only 3500 lbs. The pin weight of my 5th wheel is 4300 lbs. Had to go to a Reese

With the factory pucks, B&W has a hitch rated for a 6250 lb pin and 25000 lb gross trailer weight.

2022 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/21 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess the "moral of the story" is that there are several options for hitches that most of their users are happy with, but, like most things, you really need to know what your needs (weights) are before you buy.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

CabinetmakerII wrote:

With the factory pucks, B&W has a hitch rated for a 6250 lb pin and 25000 lb gross trailer weight.

Me gots one and it handles my 24k RV with its 6k pin just fine.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt12914 wrote:

I guess the "moral of the story" is that there are several options for hitches that most of their users are happy with, but, like most things, you really need to know what your needs (weights) are before you buy.

Indeed. We had a fifth wheel a number of years ago so we are familiar with how it all works.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CabinetmakerII wrote:

All Andersen fifth wheel hitches have a max pin weight of 4500 Lbs. Not sure where you came up with 3500. You misread something, or you meant 4500, and you thought your 4300 was cutting it too close.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

CabinetmakerII wrote:

Curious why you would replace the B&W and not go with a new B&W? "Had to go to a REESE"

Nothing wrong with the Reese Elite if that’s what he went to , had one , one piece wrap around jaw . Very solid hitch .

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/21 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

To be clear the B&W 18K Companion that sat on the bed floor was designed when the truck beds were much stronger. Once they realized the beds were thinner and causing bed deflection they provided spacers to anyone wanting them and then proceeded to design a similar hitch but with adjustable spacers so there would be no further bed deflection.

Bottom line the ANDERSEN people simply have ignored this issue.

Anderson all the way. Choice is obvious imo.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/21 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bottom line is all the hitches mentioned will work. What the OP is requiring in his post is the ideal application for an Andersen. I was ready to go with a Superglide until I was talked out of it by a few former owners who are now using Andersen hitches and I'm glad I listened.

There's a lot of misinformation about this hitch. According to Andersen it's not a gooseneck hitch; it's a fifth wheel hitch and they got their approval from the DOT as a fifth wheel hitch. So why do some run safety chains with an Andersen when fifth wheel hitches don't require them? The reason is there are states that insist it's a gooseneck requiring chains so Anderson came up with a chain kit although they claim you don't need them.

As to the Andersen voiding your frame warranty, the logic behind this is that you're modifying your pin box and the MFG does not want to be responsible for your modifications so any modifications void your warranty. As an Attorney myself, I understand this reasoning. If you look at the Andersen you'll see the actual forces applied to the pin box are very similar to those on a fifth wheel hitch. In fact, Andersen has a multi million dollar guarantee to cover any damage/void warranty claimed to be caused by their hitch.

What's a completely different animal are true gooseneck adapters they made for fifth wheel pin boxes that extended down into the bed to mount on a true gooseneck ball. These long arms worked as a "lever" that could put undesired forces on the pin box. None of this applies to the Andersen which makes hitching up so much easier.

A good camping friend and my son in law both have Superglides and I've seen the good and the negative with them and the challenges hitching up in certain situations and angles. Those challenges don't exist with the Andersen.

As to strength, the Andersen is rated at 20,000 lbs while the Superglide is rated at 18,000. Andersen has a test video on their website showing the steel Andersen finally breaking at 60,000 lbs of force in a hydraulic press.

While the hitch doesn't look that strong, it's actually made from very thick steel tubing. I have no experience with the aluminum Andersen so I can't comment on that model.

IMO these types of hitches like the Andersen and the similar Reese Goosebox are the wave of the future.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/21 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What the OP is requiring in his post is the ideal application for an Andersen.

HER post LOL! I write, hubby researches the technical stuff and has decided on a B&W hitch.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel hitches
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.