|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anybody ever put a lock on a lifting bed? I'm thinking of those locks that are released by a magnet, so it doesn't look like it's locked.

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO the visibility of a lock detours would be thieves.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/21 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once they break into the trailer , whats another lock . You padlock showed them where to look !

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

Once they break into the trailer , whats another lock . You padlock showed them where to look !

x2 and it's less you'll have to repair after your bed frame is tore up.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Magnetic locks require power to keep them locked.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Options for large scale secure storage are limited for sure in campers.
Agree, unless a thief is hurried, they would be more intrigued by something that is not commonly locked that happens to be locked particularly.

This topic came up recently and one suggestion was a "dummy" safe. Cheap or old safe, loosely attached to the structure (to "appear" bolted down), fill it with some rocks and scrap metal, so it sounds and feels like something worth while. And then creatively hide the valuables elsewhere.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a reason I want the magnet lock, it's not visible, and a potential thief would hopefully not see the lock and give up. Open to other suggestions, but I know a "lock" is an open invitation for further investigation.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/21 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

There's a reason I want the magnet lock, it's not visible, and a potential thief would hopefully not see the lock and give up. Open to other suggestions, but I know a "lock" is an open invitation for further investigation.

What are you going to do if there is no power like parked at WalMart and you leave for dinner for example?

Or you have something in mind that works differently?

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you really beef up the framing around the bed then it won't be very hard to tear the mattress platform off the base.
Most all the framing is cheap 2x2's stapled or screwed together that probably already have a few splits in them.

There's two types of thieves IMO. The one's that are looking for an easy in like a door left unlocked or the one's that will tear open a door to get in. The 2nd version will tear the bed platform up to get it open.

Someone with a cats paw could get into just about any area on or in an RV.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

philh wrote:

What are you going to do if there is no power like parked at WalMart and you leave for dinner for example?

Or you have something in mind that works differently?

I think perhaps they mean the magnet-activated anti-toddler cabinet locks, where you hold a magnet over the mechanism to get it to disengage.

I do agree with many others that there doesn't seem to be much practical reason to have a lock there as described for security. I can see two reasons to want a locked area inside an RV. One is to keep little kids out of dangerous stuff and teens out of the S'mores chocolate, where actual security is not much of a concern. This doesn't seem to be what the poster has in mind.

The other, and I think misguided, is to keep thieves who have already broken in from valuable stuff. I'd guess that, unless you have really, really valuable stuff, the damage caused by the thieves breaking in and destroying stuff to get it out will generally exceed the value of the stuff stolen. Better to have them not destroy the bed and take the stuff than to have them destroy it and take the stuff...or destroy it and decide the stuff isn't worth taking. At that point, you probably already have a broken skylight or something.

(There may be other reasons to latch the bed up, such as to prevent it falling or drifting down due to vibration while en route.)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.