RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Trying to decide on whether or not to purchase-DECISION

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trying to decide on whether or not to purchase-DECISION

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what you are asking. The campgrounds you want to visit don't allow dogs left unattended, you aren't open to the possibility of leaving a quiet dog in the camper. Sounds like you have answered your own question.

There wasn't a question, just a ramble. If the rules state "no unattended dogs even in unit" I won't do it. It's the people who do so that can change a dog-friendly park to no pets allowed. If it doesn't specifically state if it includes inside the unit I'll ask. We've worked out that dog(s) will come some of the time and sometimes they won't. Jake is aging rapidly and we don't even know how long he'll be around.

You can get pretty creative finding places to camp, do some Internet searches of the areas of interest for campgrounds and see what pops up..

Yup, started doing that last night. Time to get out of the comfort zone. Did find more availability than I expected but my concern is if I don't act fast we'll wind up shut out. Have found storage, which is half the battle. Just waiting on the salesman to answer a few more questions. We decided so quickly the unit we saw was what we wanted we didn't pay attention to stupid things, like if it has A/C and if the fridge runs on propane. I think it kind of shocked us to decide so fast.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

blaczero

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just spent the first 3 weeks of March in FL. 36' travel trailer. No issues finding a campground, but each was pretty packed.

Thousand Trails and Encore properties.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/21 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still going back and forth. Dealer answered questions favorably. 25% off MSRP. Just can't decide if we'll use it enough. Analysis paralysis!

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After analyzing our situation for a week we opted not to buy the fifth wheel. Loved it, love the lifestyle but there were too many negatives that outweighed the positives for us, mostly the "work" that goes with it. Loading, unloading, hitch install & removal, storage of unit off-site, etc. There's still a "bucket list" of air travel we want to do and we just can't justify buying something to sit in storage while we fly places. We don't abide by the theory "if I can't drive to it I don't need to see it". There's too much in the world to see. I'm pretty certain this is it-we won't ever go back to it-but I've also learned to never say never.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

After analyzing our situation for a week we opted not to buy the fifth wheel. Loved it, love the lifestyle but there were too many negatives that outweighed the positives for us, mostly the "work" that goes with it. Loading, unloading, hitch install & removal, storage of unit off-site, etc. There's still a "bucket list" of air travel we want to do and we just can't justify buying something to sit in storage while we fly places. We don't abide by the theory "if I can't drive to it I don't need to see it". There's too much in the world to see. I'm pretty certain this is it-we won't ever go back to it-but I've also learned to never say never.

It's literally a lifestyle choice. I spent way too much time on commercial airlines in the 90's and currently inactive private pilot. I HATE commercial flying, and will avoid it all costs.

We had a travel trailer and found a park not too far from our house that we bought a park model at. Two years ago we bought a TT and then a new park model. TT was used for week or longer trips. We just ordered a new 5th wheel and sold the TT.

I have zero desire to travel the world, there is a lot to see in this beautiful country.

If you're having this much consternation and don't want to give up international or far flung domestic destinations, then RV lifestyle may not be for you.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

As the saying goes, for everything there is a season. With my late wife we Motorhomed for 15 years, and tent camped for many years before that. Wonderful memories.

But, the new GF is not real fond of that life style. and to be honest, I have kind of have had, my fill. I will not miss the upkeep and the work.

Going forward we will be doing fly and drives, renting cabins for a couple of weeks, that sort of thing

I look forward to these new adventures. In some ways I miss the MH, but in many ways I do not.

Enjoy the change and your new adventures

Bluhorn

Sunny Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you made a wise choice not to get the RV. Its not the right time especially if you may get another Dog. You wont be happy leaving your pet in a Kennel I'm sure. When the time is right you will know it. Things will fall into place. Best Wishes!

1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2006 Wildcat 28RK
2018 Sunset Trail 210FK
Kodi the Wonder Dog!

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Now entering my 7th decade...and having a fair amount of toys...I find that the wife and I gravitate to using the toys / doing the things that take the least amount of prep and takedown. Having the ol PA-12 set up for short flights around Los Anchorage, I'll decide to forego the longer flight to McKinley which adds at least an hour or two to the planning, gear selection, etc. Aside from it not being the ideal activity for Alaska, one of the reason we gave up on RV'ng was what felt to us like the disproportionate level of "pre- post- storage" type effort compared to time using it.

The challenge of course, which it seems like you're addressing well, is to continue to pursue interests rather than letting inertia become the dominant factor. Looks like you made the right decision for you.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trying to decide on whether or not to purchase-DECISION
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.