RV.Net Open Roads Forum: No rear overload spring on my new 2012 Ford F250?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > No rear overload spring on my new 2012 Ford F250?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bedlam

PNW

Moderator

Joined: 06/13/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/05/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The upper overload spring on the F250 was part of the camper package - If you did not get this this package, your front coils are softer and you did not get a rear stabilizer or upper overload springs.


Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200


Americamper

Anniston AL

Senior Member

Joined: 01/24/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/05/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not loaded the camper yet as I am waiting on torqlift frame mounts which should be here this week.


2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

mellow

Salisbury, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/05/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can still load it in the bed to get a test fit and check how much drop you get and how your shocks load.


2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 11/27/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/05/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Americamper wrote:

I have not loaded the camper yet as I am waiting on torqlift frame mounts which should be here this week.


I carry ~4000lbs (camper+gear) on a 2017 F250. (SC, 4x4, 6.7L, Lariat)

While the loaded weight was within the stock tires maximum load ratings (3450x2), the sway driving it nearly made me sea sick.

Since I had installed Toyo M608z's 265/70 19.5" tires and Vision Heavy hauler 81 rims on the 1997 F250 the new 2017 was replacing, it was a no brainer to put them on the 2017 F250 Ford. This fixed the sway.

The rear end sag while loaded ready for camping made my head lights aim higher than on coming traffic liked so I had airbags installed. A mere 20PSI in ether side allows the headlights point where they should.

YMMV


- Mark0.

billtex

RI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/05/21 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

You can still load it in the bed to get a test fit and check how much drop you get and how your shocks load.


What do the shocks have to do with carrying a load?


2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

billtex

RI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/05/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

Americamper wrote:

I have not loaded the camper yet as I am waiting on torqlift frame mounts which should be here this week.


I carry ~4000lbs (camper+gear) on a 2017 F250. (SC, 4x4, 6.7L, Lariat)

While the loaded weight was within the stock tires maximum load ratings (3450x2), the sway driving it nearly made me sea sick.

Since I had installed Toyo M608z's 265/70 19.5" tires and Vision Heavy hauler 81 rims on the 1997 F250 the new 2017 was replacing, it was a no brainer to put them on the 2017 F250 Ford. This fixed the sway.

The rear end sag while loaded ready for camping made my head lights aim higher than on coming traffic liked so I had airbags installed. A mere 20PSI in ether side allows the headlights point where they should.

YMMV


- Mark0.

Or just buy the one ton.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 11/27/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/05/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

mbloof wrote:

Americamper wrote:

I have not loaded the camper yet as I am waiting on torqlift frame mounts which should be here this week.


I carry ~4000lbs (camper+gear) on a 2017 F250. (SC, 4x4, 6.7L, Lariat)

While the loaded weight was within the stock tires maximum load ratings (3450x2), the sway driving it nearly made me sea sick.

Since I had installed Toyo M608z's 265/70 19.5" tires and Vision Heavy hauler 81 rims on the 1997 F250 the new 2017 was replacing, it was a no brainer to put them on the 2017 F250 Ford. This fixed the sway.

The rear end sag while loaded ready for camping made my head lights aim higher than on coming traffic liked so I had airbags installed. A mere 20PSI in ether side allows the headlights point where they should.

YMMV


- Mark0.

Or just buy the one ton.


Actually, the one ton (if one were available at the time of purchase) would not of bought me much of anything. (if anything at all)

While the OEM tires on F350's are rated at 3650 so MAY not have had as much sway from tire flex. (then again, I still likely would of swapped the tires/rims out for the 19.5's that I already owned)

I likely would still have installed airbags to level it out AND

.... drum roll please...

since last time I was on the scales @ ~12000LBS would of been over the one ton's GVWR.

so in the end, I replaced a 1997 F250 with a 2017 F250 and very happy with the purchase and results.


- Mark0.

billtex

RI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/06/21 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

billtex wrote:

mbloof wrote:

Americamper wrote:

I have not loaded the camper yet as I am waiting on torqlift frame mounts which should be here this week.


I carry ~4000lbs (camper+gear) on a 2017 F250. (SC, 4x4, 6.7L, Lariat)

While the loaded weight was within the stock tires maximum load ratings (3450x2), the sway driving it nearly made me sea sick.

Since I had installed Toyo M608z's 265/70 19.5" tires and Vision Heavy hauler 81 rims on the 1997 F250 the new 2017 was replacing, it was a no brainer to put them on the 2017 F250 Ford. This fixed the sway.

The rear end sag while loaded ready for camping made my head lights aim higher than on coming traffic liked so I had airbags installed. A mere 20PSI in ether side allows the headlights point where they should.

YMMV


- Mark0.

Or just buy the one ton.


Actually, the one ton (if one were available at the time of purchase) would not of bought me much of anything. (if anything at all)

While the OEM tires on F350's are rated at 3650 so MAY not have had as much sway from tire flex. (then again, I still likely would of swapped the tires/rims out for the 19.5's that I already owned)

I likely would still have installed airbags to level it out AND

.... drum roll please...

since last time I was on the scales @ ~12000LBS would of been over the one ton's GVWR.

so in the end, I replaced a 1997 F250 with a 2017 F250 and very happy with the purchase and results.


- Mark0.

GVWR meaningless for carrying a TC. You never stated what your loaded rear axle weight is but a one ton could have negated the need for; air bags and 19.5” tires/wheels.

Upgrade from 3/4 ton to one ton is ~ $400.

Upgrade to those items you mentioned-which doesn’t change your GVWR at all-is thousands of $$$.
And if you really are concerned about GVWR, a SRW gasser can get you 12,400 lbs.

Just sayin’.

* This post was edited 04/06/21 05:11am by billtex *

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 11/27/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/06/21 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:



Just sayin’.


Read much?

The OP has a F250. I have a F250. I offered to the OP how I carry a much heavier camper on my F250.

Off topic much? Since you don't seem to have anything to offer, why are you posting on this thread?

Just sayin.


- Mark0.

* This post was edited 04/06/21 07:20am by mbloof *

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 04/06/21 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Americamper wrote:

Would it be cheaper to get the factory overload and sway bar or go after market?


Been a few years since I ordered my new 250, but at that time the camper pkg, when ordered was $160. My dealer said if oem camper pkg was installed later, in his shop, would be around $1,200.

In your case, after purchase, likely cheaper to go aftermarket, and may be better product.

Jerry





Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > No rear overload spring on my new 2012 Ford F250?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.