|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar expert please help me understand

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

We are staying at a CG with full hookups including 30/50 amp electric which is all working. There is a smaller class A in a site, with shore power cord plugged into his power pole. However, and here is where I get lost, he also has a 2'X 4' solar panel set up and wired in front of the RV, and it is always aimed toward the sun. What I don't understand is why? What does the solar panel do that the shore power doesn't?

What am I missing?

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likely the solar is for his engine battery, while the house batts get the charger supplied by shore power

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're all just guessing here.. like his converter is shot, or he doesn't know what he's doing. Ask him!

There's always a nice way to ask.. like "hey, nice panels, where did yo get them.. blah blah." Then maybe he'll volunteer a reason.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless there is something faulty in his onboard electrical system...there is no point to it.

Engine battery doesn't need solar to stay charged and it's simpler and more reliable to have a connection to the charging system for the house batteries with a disconnect.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe he is testing his solar system? Or maybe he wants to see how many Wh he can gather in a day? Maybe he collecting solar power makes him happy?

If this is concerning you why don't you ask them, as opposed to posting photos of of strangers RV on the internet?

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Unless there is something faulty in his onboard electrical system...there is no point to it.

Engine battery doesn't need solar to stay charged and it's simpler and more reliable to have a connection to the charging system for the house batteries with a disconnect.
It's actually common for the chassis battery to not be charged from the house charger. Then there is battery self discharge and perhaps loads that can't be switched off as supplied by the mfg.

And while an alternate charging method might be simplier we would then be denied the fun of responding to this thread.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer why I don't ask the owner, I have never seen him. The panels magically move to take in the sun, but I'm not sure how. I can see the rig out of my window, but have never seen a human there. Spooky.

I thought of the bad charger too, but thought this would be more expensive than a new WFCO.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toys are fun. Let them play.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a meter loop on the pedestal. Perhaps he has a deal where he pays for the 120V he uses. Or, he is just trying to save the park some money because he has the solar to help - a little.

Oooor, he uses the solar to power a small heat plate for the Ranger Bob Mobile Meth Lab.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

It's actually common for the chassis battery to not be charged from the house charger. Then there is battery self discharge and perhaps loads that can't be switched off as supplied by the mfg.

And while an alternate charging method might be simplier we would then be denied the fun of responding to this thread.

I would consider a starter battery with loads that can't be shut off to be a faulty system...at least if they are large enough to discharge the battery in under a week. If the battery is simply self discharging in under a week...again, something is faulty.

If he's parked long term, much simpler to run a line to the charger with a disconnect switch and turn that on for a few hours every so often as opposed to setting up and moving a solar array several times a day as indicated.

So other than to play with a new toy to see what it does, it serves no practical purpose.

Of course, there is the fun of discussing...but I doubt that's why the guy set up the solar array. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar expert please help me understand
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.