|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front bed dipping with camper help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JakeTravels wrote:

I think I found the issue, rusted out mounts on the right side

I have no option unfortunately to leave the camper anywhere so hopefully I make it to the shop.
I’m in the middle of nowhere with the closest shop an hour away. Let’s hope I make it

Yep, when I read your original post I immediately knew what the issue was... my 2008 F250 has the same issue, along other friends with similar model trucks. It was a "Ford thing" for awhile until they changed something at the factory.

Those cross mounts basically rust off, but the body and the frame still look like new.

Whatever body shop you go to will probably know exactly what the issue is and how to fix it. Sometimes they replace the cross mounts, sometimes you might just want to get a "new" rear body. Either way, the camper will have to come off, and it is a good size job to fix - the bed has to come off, old cross mounts removed, new ones installed, welded, painted, body re-attached, etc.

My local body shop said they wanted a week to do it, between unmounting, repairing, mounting, painting, drying, etc. I am sure it could be done quicker... I prefer not to rush work if not needed.

Yes, you shouldn't drive around with that camper on... but sometimes we do what we gotta do.

Good luck! I'd be interested in how things work out, I still have to get my truck repaired.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj40cruiser wrote:

I had that issue when I put a plow on a 06 2500HD. a set of Timbren's did the trick. raised it up 2 inches. you can also adjust the torque keys if they have room for it. I also put 8000lb timbrens on the back of big red and it handles like a dream! Timbrens are the great accept when you take the load off, then it's like driving through a cornfield.

Somehow I don't think that Timbrens will help the OP's problem, unless you jam them between the bed and the frame rail.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of TC weight rest on lower front wall, when truck beds have strong line along front wall, right behind the cabin.
By putting short bed camper on long bed truck - you are putting most of camper weigh on weak point of truck bed, who was never design for such load.
When you do the repair, do additional tubing at this point.

sweeperman210

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something is wrong the front jack

JakeTravels

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The problem is the cross mount was rusted out. The truck is in the shop now and is getting the required strength to support this camper. I understand that this short bed camper is not ideal for this long box.

In other news, I unloaded the camper before heading to the shop because they wouldn’t be able to fix the issue. The two front jacks are all bent from the previous owner and found out after a few hours of trying to safely get it off that they also need to be repaired. I had to borrow some bottle jacks and planks to safely remove the camper.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the crazy thing is that front crossbar is not sold in the dorman kits. That is why I ended up just getting another rust free bed with all good crossbars.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JakeTravels wrote:

will this be okay to drive?

With as bad as it looks, I wouldn't even drive it that far empty.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front bed dipping with camper help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.