|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dually rental

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
peas7carrots

Largo

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I bought a beautiful fifth wheel and need a dependable dually to pull it. We have been searching for one, but we also wanted to know if there are any companies that do a six month rental !
If anybody has any advice or knowledge share it would be greatly appreciated!
THANK YOU in advance! Happy and safe travels to all.....??

* This post was edited 04/07/21 03:58pm by an administrator/moderator *

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't seen any truck rentals for fifth wheels in California.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/21 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could lease a new truck from a dealer, same as a car lease, usually with minimum term of 24 months. There will be mileage limits and it won't be cheap. I doubt you will find any such animal available for short term rental.

cekkk

Southern Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/21 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How heavy is your 5th wheel. I just sold our 2002 F350 7.3 dually and it had 123,000 miles on it with Pacbrake and upgraded transmission cooler. That 7.3 diesel is a great engine and you would be shocked at how many are still out there with even fewer miles on them than mine had. The weak spot is the transmission. But if you don't overheat it, that's where the larger cooler comes in, it will last forever as well in my opinion. Low spot if you want to call it that is it's not capable of pulling/ 12 or 13000 lb. The guy I sold it to I'm afraid is going to destroy it if he hasn't done so already. He has a huge 40 footer and I just questioned him if he thought that was okay as P Ender stood though towing capacity of my truck.

* This post was edited 04/07/21 03:59pm by an administrator/moderator *

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could try Hertz they rent F350s.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, you literally put the cart before the horse!

What's your reason for not buying now? Waiting for prices to come down? Can't afford or get financing? Have to have the "perfect" one for you in a time of new truck shortage?

Since you said "reliable", makes me think you're looking used. And 40' says diesel and not an old 7.3 or an old Cummins with an auto trans, or basically any pre 2008 auto Dodge, pre 2012 Powerstroke (03 to 09s should be sent to the crusher, lol), or pre 2001 Duramax.
Point is, you have ALL the other used trucks that aren't those that would be good trucks potentially and capable of what you want to do.

Whatever you spend on renting is lost, gone, bye bye. You can rent dually diesels and tow with them from places like Enterprise truck rental and equipment rental outfits. Kicker is, you'll easily spend $3k/month on rental. Unless I'm missing something, but I rent bigger pickups and class 4-5 trucks somewhat regularly. For that you could get a diesel dually, plain jane work truck. Still have to outfit it with a hitch.
The money you spend on renting, you could virtually buy a decent older diesel and have plenty of residual value when you get your preferred truck.

Or in short, renting long term for a large vehicle for personal use makes not much sense, financial or otherwise.
Or for far less than the cost of renting, you could buy a very nice older gas powered dually if you're not planning on hard miles and mountains for the next 6 months. $10-15k will get you a CHERRY old V10 Dodge or V10 Ford dually worth around 100k miles. Bonus points if you find a Dodge with a NV4500.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with the older diesels is that they are LOUD by today’s standards. I tow with. 2001 F250 and can’t wait to get something quieter. Well I can wait cause that’s what I’m doing.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could probably rent an F350 (or equivalent Ram or GM) for six months, but it's not going to be set up to pull a fifth wheel. You really have two choices since it sounds like you've already got the trailer- buy a truck that can handle the trailer if you plan to travel alot, or if you plan on staying put, you'll be money ahead by hiring a transporter to move your trailer to your destination.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check enterprise truck rental, they have HD trucks,and I think on long term rentals will do a 5th wheel.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

United Rentals and Enterprise Rent-A-Truck both rent dually with optional 5th wheel hitches, and will do long-term rentals.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dually rental
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.