|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla driving across Canada in 74 hrs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bguy

The Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do they pay to plug in and charge?

---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bguy wrote:

Yep. Well, some of the earlier buyers got free lifetime charging but most of us pay to play. [emoticon].

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

bguy wrote:

Yep. Well, some of the earlier buyers got free lifetime charging but most of us pay to play. [emoticon].

What is your cost per km for energy in day to day use?

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Reisender wrote:

bguy wrote:

Well, life time kilometres per kWh for our leaf after 4 and a bit years was 6.4 kilometres per kWh. We pay 9 cents per kWh. There was no other maintenance other than washer fluid in four years.

We haven’t tracked the Tesla but I’m told it’s more efficient. We have had it a little over a year. Same thing. Only washer fluid for maintenance.

Superchargers are about 3 times as expensive as charging at home. They are generally only used on road trips. The vast majority of charging is done at home or work.

Hope that helps.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/21 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does this have to do with towing? I love the cars but...........

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

noteven wrote:

Reisender wrote:

bguy wrote:

Well, life time kilometres per kWh for our leaf after 4 and a bit years was 6.4 kilometres per kWh. We pay 9 cents per kWh. There was no other maintenance other than washer fluid in four years.

We haven’t tracked the Tesla but I’m told it’s more efficient. We have had it a little over a year. Same thing. Only washer fluid for maintenance.

Superchargers are about 3 times as expensive as charging at home. They are generally only used on road trips. The vast majority of charging is done at home or work.

Hope that helps.

That is interesting - here in AB it is not uncommon for non city people to run a set of wheels for 300,000km. The electric vehicle would cost $4200 approx for energy at home. A fuel efficient gas passenger car about $27,000 for gas and my F350 about $54,000. [emoticon]

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

What does this have to do with towing? I love the cars but...........

Well, within a year at least 4 companies will have EV 1/2 to trucks and come will tow with them. As well, people are already towing with EV SUV’s. Especially those little tear drop trailers. So there is some relevance.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Reisender wrote:

noteven wrote:

Reisender wrote:

bguy wrote:

Hope that helps.

That is interesting - here in AB it is not uncommon for non city people to run a set of wheels for 300,000km. The electric vehicle would cost $4200 approx for energy at home. A fuel efficient gas passenger car about $27,000 for gas and my F350 about $54,000. [emoticon]

Yah. The golden number in western Canada is about 1/8 the cost to run an EV over an ICE. But of course it varies depending on what you are comparing it too and the price of electricity. When people ask as us how much their electricity bill goes up we tell them to look at their last months gasoline bill and divide it by six. So instead of a 240 dollar gas bill your electric bill will go up 40 bucks. Plus of course no oil, filters, hoses, belts or brakes to maintain. Kinda cool

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Reisender wrote:

noteven wrote:

Reisender wrote:

bguy wrote:

Hope that helps.

Even at 20,000 miles per year, that will take about 9 years to accrue that many miles. Using an EV that much, will the batteries last 9 years, and should that be figured into the overall cost?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

noteven wrote:

Reisender wrote:

noteven wrote:

Reisender wrote:

bguy wrote:

Hope that helps.

Even at 20,000 miles per year, that will take about 9 years to accrue that many miles. Using an EV that much, will the batteries last 9 years, and should that be figured into the overall cost?

Who knows. But most companies warranty their batteries from 8 to 10 years. Some of the earlier EV batteries from 8 to 10 years ago have north of 400,000 kilometres on them. Our local cab company has a fleet of model S Tesla’s all from around 2014 that all have super high mileage. But, like I say, ask me in 12 years. [emoticon].

The tabless batteries going into the model S plaid, Cybertruck and semi are expected to have lifetimes in excess of a million kilometres.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla driving across Canada in 74 hrs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.