|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2008 Eagle Cap 855 in Canada

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stand corrected. It appears that the old 855 was a lot lighter than any of the models currently available. Even so that 3275# estimate will turn out to be on the low side. Check this brochure and you will quickly see the weight is for a stripped down model without microwave, without awnings, not even a TV antenna or a stereo.
https://recreationalvehicles.info/2010-alp-eagle-cap-truck-campers/2010-alp-eagle-cap-truck-campers-brochure.pdf

That 3275# estimate is likely to hit a loaded weight, minus passengers, well over 4000# and probably closer to 4500#.

hinterland

British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He is looking at the Eagle Cap right now, will let you know what he decides. He was also looking at an Okanaga, 10'5", for half the price, but a 1997 in excellent condition.

It Just Doesn't Matter Who Owns the Grass Outside our Window!
OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hinterland wrote:

He is looking at the Eagle Cap right now, will let you know what he decides. He was also looking at an Okanaga, 10'5", for half the price, but a 1997 in excellent condition.

I've currently got an 96 Okanagan 10.5 and a 98 GMC 2500 (3500# rims and E tires, Ranchos 9000XL's and air bags) Definitely too much TC for the 2500. New rig is an NL 10.2LE dry bath and I went straight for a F350 dually. My GMC "handled" the Okanagan fine. Could use a heavy anti-sway bar. This time around I wanted no doubts and no mod's if possible.

Just for my own knowledge, what's the Okanagan your friend's looking at priced at? Hoping to sell my truck and TC as a package.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hinterland wrote:

Glove box sticker in the GMC says slide in camper max 3834 lbs

So that's a 2500?

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I stand corrected. It appears that the old 855 was a lot lighter than any of the models currently available. Even so that 3275# estimate will turn out to be on the low side. Check this brochure and you will quickly see the weight is for a stripped down model without microwave, without awnings, not even a TV antenna or a stereo.
https://recreationalvehicles.info/2010-alp-eagle-cap-truck-campers/2010-alp-eagle-cap-truck-campers-brochure.pdf

That 3275# estimate is likely to hit a loaded weight, minus passengers, well over 4000# and probably closer to 4500#.

I immediately thought the same. "Eagle Cap? Those are HUGE!" But then I saw it was a comparatively small one to modern units.

If his truck payload is 3800+ as he stated, I'd think he could push up to 4200 and be fine. Maybe some bags and a sway bar. If getting into the 4500+lb range, IMO and experience, it's not worth the blood pressure. My current pair is quite mismatched but the truck with add-ons handles the weight. It's just a 'heads-up' type of driving and gets more tiresome the older I get. LOL! Looking forward to the new dually.

hinterland

British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ended up buying the Eagle Cap, real nice solid unit and well made. Thanks for all the feedback.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert the Welder wrote:

If his truck payload is 3800+ as he stated, I'd think he could push up to 4200 and be fine.......

Except tires, not suspension, are usually the limitation. Personally I worry driving on substantially overloaded tires. Going to 19.5 wheels and rims is very expensive. Depending on rim size trying to go to oversized tires with higher load ratings may be difficult and might mean a substantial change in tire circumference and driving characteristics.

Anyway, it seems that the OP has decided on the EC. Hopefully we will get a report on the actual loaded weight.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Bert the Welder wrote:

If his truck payload is 3800+ as he stated, I'd think he could push up to 4200 and be fine.......

Except tires, not suspension, are usually the limitation. Personally I worry driving on substantially overloaded tires. Going to 19.5 wheels and rims is very expensive. Depending on rim size trying to go to oversized tires with higher load ratings may be difficult and might mean a substantial change in tire circumference and driving characteristics.

Anyway, it seems that the OP has decided on the EC. Hopefully we will get a report on the actual loaded weight.

Yes, agree. I was thinking in terms of how the combo acts (sway/porposing, etc) when I said "handling".

Tires should, to me, always be the first thing looked at when someone wants to push the lbs they're loading. And if swapping out wheels, other then 19.5's, one definitely needs to check tire selection/availability for the the rim size they are looking at. That and rim fit were what took the longest when I up'd my rims/tires from stock. And I wanted with-in spec fit, not "yeah, should be OK" fit, as I heard from one place when inquiring about rim to tire fit. I did need her lifted a bit for the new wheels.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck, had our 995 since new in 2009 and its been outstanding...

3 tons

hinterland

British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Good luck, had our 995 since new in 2009 and its been outstanding...

3 tons

Thank You!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2008 Eagle Cap 855 in Canada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.