RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Anybody Using iPad as a Laptop Replacement?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Anybody Using iPad as a Laptop Replacement?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an iPad, 7th generation 10.2" that I'm getting ready as a possible future replacement for my older Toshiba (although at least 11 years old is still working well). I already have a Bluetooth keyboard and a Bluetooth mouse, and lightning connector to USB-A adaptor are on the way so I can use my thumb drives like I do on my present laptop.

So, if any of you have made a similar change how's it working out? Thanks. Ed

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what you use the laptop for, but for me I moved all my “stuff” from a Microsoft environment to IOS several years ago and except for one app to do my taxes, do everything I need to do on an older but still supported iPad Pro with a combo cover/keyboard, and an iPhone XR. All the stuff I use everyday is stored up on iCloud, use iCloud mail. Everything I do can be seen and updated on both iOS devices as well as on my now old Microsoft Surface (if needed). I bought an Apple Pencil to use as at the time a mouse was not supported but have found very few times I’ve needed it.

I no longer need the power of Excel, but used to be really good at it, write an occasional snail mail letter, so I’ve moved all spread sheets and letters over to Numbers and Pages. If I needed it both Excel and Word are available for IOS. One thing that irritated me was years ago I could get MS products for free on my previous iPad Mini. But once I switched to a Pro they wanted money. Things may have changed but too late!

As you may know IOS and IOS apps can have issues, but the updates to IOS are few and far between when compared to the amount, size, and frequency of Windows. Another “beef” I have is with apps that don’t support IPads in landscape mode. This is not an IOS issue more the individual app maker having their head up the old wazzoo.

So I’ve been very happy leaving the Microsoft environment. There is a learning curve but well worth it.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see any tablet replacing my laptop. I use my tablet a lot (using it now), but when I have more than web browsing, emails, and simple word docs, I go for the laptop.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have two issues :
  • Switching from a laptop to a tablet
  • Switching from Windows to Apple.

If one doesn't get you, the other will !

I have been trying to use a tablet (Amazon Fire 10 HD) for about 6 months. I works fine for watching video and reading, but is terrible for many other things. A keyboard and mouse will help, but I can cut, copy and paste SO MUCH FASTER on a Windows PC than on a tablet. Many other things that seem so easy are difficult/impossible to do on a tablet.

The only Apple device I have is an iPhone. Works fine for making phone calls and sending text message. One thing I ran into the other day was receiving a text with a picture. The only way to get it off of your iPhone into a Windows environment is to mail it to yourself. Even then it is in some weird format that you need special software to convert it to something useful.

Get the largest tablet you can afford ! 10" is barely big enough !!

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. My trustyToshiba laptop is still going strong, although it’s 11+ years old, but I want to be proactive and have a device ready if it dies on me suddenly.. I’m online quite a bit and, being somewhat of an experimenter, I’d like to try working with IOS. I don't do anything intensive, just web surfing, emailing, banking, etc.

I was recently going to try a Chromebook, but now my interest has turned to the iPad since I already own one.

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from desktop PC to an iMac running Windows on Bootcamp for a Windows only graphics application, to a PC with a 1tb HD and a 1tb SSD. I also had a 13" MacBook Pro for the road.

After a few years, the MacBook became my go-to computer, and I had an iPad just for games, email, and texting. Since settling down for a bit, I do not miss the PC for anything. I recently bought a new MacBook Pro with lots of storage (2tb SSD) and power to handle my graphics, and I run Bootcamp on it to run my Windows stuff.

I will semi-retire my PC since I now have the best of both worlds IMO. My iPad still does the mundane stuff for me.

Bottom line for me is use a laptop as a substitute for a desktop, and a tablet for the small stuff. Having both compatible with each other and the phone is very important.

2014 Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD 6.5' box SRW Denali Duramax Anderson
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i use my ipad mini for some things but our win10 desktop is our main device for everything. our win10 laptop is synced with the desktop and travels in our MH with us. when we return home i sync the desktop to the laptop

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For most things, yes, I am. Well, the iPad and my iPhone 12. There are a couple professional applications for which there are no iOS versions, so haven't been able to do EVERYTHING on the iPad. But most everything else . . . .

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Ed, if this is actual “I don't do anything intensive, just web surfing, emailing, banking, etc.” you will find the IPad more than sufficient. Moët of what I do is done on my iPhone XR. When I want a little bigger screen and a keyboard, I just move to the iPad.

Theoldwizard1, can I assume you use iTunes to sync and backup your iPhone to a Windows PC? Have you tried to save the image in the text message to Photos on the iPhone? If so it should be able to sync the pictures to your pc. Alternatively you could setup an iCloud account, and install iCloud software on your pc and then photos you take on the iPhone or save to photos can automatically be available on the pc or other I devices.

I have the iPhone, iPad, Windows Surface, and Apple TV attached to a Samsung TV, all signed into my iCloud account and can view all my photos and other items on every device.

There are free ebooks available from Apple for iPhone, iPad, and others that might help you get more out of your devices.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked the settings for photos? There’s a setting affecting the photos going to another device. I think it’s the last option in the photos settings.

theoldwizard1 wrote:

You have two issues :
  • Switching from a laptop to a tablet
  • Switching from Windows to Apple.

If one doesn't get you, the other will !

I have been trying to use a tablet (Amazon Fire 10 HD) for about 6 months. I works fine for watching video and reading, but is terrible for many other things. A keyboard and mouse will help, but I can cut, copy and paste SO MUCH FASTER on a Windows PC than on a tablet. Many other things that seem so easy are difficult/impossible to do on a tablet.

The only Apple device I have is an iPhone. Works fine for making phone calls and sending text message. One thing I ran into the other day was receiving a text with a picture. The only way to get it off of your iPhone into a Windows environment is to mail it to yourself. Even then it is in some weird format that you need special software to convert it to something useful.

Get the largest tablet you can afford ! 10" is barely big enough !!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Anybody Using iPad as a Laptop Replacement?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.