RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Any RV parks left in RGV?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Any RV parks left in RGV?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fixn2gocamp wrote:

Thanks Scottiemom. I did look up Mission West and will check it out. I don't mind some park models or even mobiles if park is well kept. But I want some SPACE. I hate slide to slide.

If you look around, check out Hidden Valley Ranch. It is an owner park, but a lot of them rent out their lots. They have quite large lots, nice clubhouse, active residents and nicely kept.

Not too many mobiles in the parks. . . if anything, park models, single wide for the most part.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Park models/mobile homes usually pay rent for the whole year, while RV's may only be there a few months. Which would you rather have for an income? That's why many parks are being populated with permanent models.

alfredmay

West Milford, NJ / Donna, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both Victoria Palms and Llano Grande have newer sections with large lots. They both have older, cramped lots but I think the newer areas are what you are looking for.

Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

fixn2gocamp

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Tom and Alfred.... To answer your question Tom, I'd rather, if they want full time mobile homes, that they stop calling themselves RV parks. It's disheartenong to drive into a place that looks great on their website only to find they are 90% mobile homes and bumper to bumper. Mobile homes are not RVs and they are not even Destination or park models. But you're right, the steady income is appealing to a lot of owners. Just wished they'd call it what they are. Thanks for the ideas Alfred, we'll check them out. Have heard of Victoria Palms from a couple of folks.

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/21 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parks having a steady income is obviously important for their bottom line and potentially their survival. We snowbird in Florida and have for 9 seasons. One thing that my wife & I have noticed the past few years is that more and more people are living year round in the park we've stayed at most of the time. Our park isn't age restricted so there are a few families now residing there in RVs. The housing shortage, cost of homes, etc. is driving some to just purchase an RV and live in a park full time. I assume some of this is due to the fact that lot rent and utilities, if any, are cheaper than owning a home or even renting a home.

2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

2g's

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to change location... Port Aransas, Rockport.

fixn2gocamp

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi 2gs...if there is a decent 55+ park in the Rockport area, I haven't been able to find it. Found one deeded community at 55+ but realtor does not respond or return calls. Two others, both slide to slide. Literally, looked at one with 15" between slides.
Several very nice parks in this area, Coastal Breeze is a fave, but not 55+.

Update: took an overnight to the RGV! Viewed several mentioned parks here, including the famed Retama Village. It is very nice. However, the "rv resorts/parks" are mostly old, tired and 90% mobile homes. Some were neat and clean, others just scary. All friendly. Have found a couple that would do for a short time, but most are slide to slide. Rates good, but again, tired. May go back down again for a day or two and hunt some more. Definitely don't want to be on the Coastal Bend during the summer months. Even though I broke down and bought a fishing pole. ??.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fixn2gocamp wrote:

...snip...
Update: However, the "rv resorts/parks" are mostly old, tired and 90% mobile homes. Some were neat and clean, others just scary. All friendly. Have found a couple that would do for a short time, but most are slide to slide. Rates good, but again, tired. ...snip...?.

BINGO! The RGV is cheap, windy, dirty, tired, but cheap.

As far as Rockport or anything north of there, one is giving up 5-10 winter degrees by going 200 miles north. Makes a huge difference in January/February.

2g's

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fixn2gocamp wrote:

Hi 2gs...if there is a decent 55+ park in the Rockport area, I haven't been able to find it.

There are plenty of parks in the area.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/texas/rockport

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Any RV parks left in RGV?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.