RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: BAttery replacement.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> BAttery replacement.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Grizz272,

Sorry to hear of the freeing issue.

My solar keeps my batteries in great shape during the winter.

Do you climb on the roof and sweep the snow off regularly or do you have some panels set up more vertical for storage?

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord,

I live in Regina, SK. There is enough wind to keep the panels clear.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our present 5er came with garbage batteries. It was a '17' model clearance,'16' build, 14 months give or take on the lot.
First time I ckecked the water it looked like lead soup which I had never seen in a battery.
They seemed to hold a charge and we spend the majority of our time on shore power.
They were good enough to take us to Alaska and back in '18' but I replaced them at Costco with 2 6v GC in '19'.
Ckeck them regularly and have added water once in 2 years.

Previous 5er a used 6 yr old came with 2 12v of undetermined age. 5er was well taken care of so the batteries may have been replaced they did require bi monthly watering.
The converter died 10 months after purchase. It was replaced with a PD
Converter don't recall the # but it was an upgrade over what it had.
It did cut down on water usage for the batteries.
Replaced those batteries with Costco 12v batteries water useage virtually a non issue. We traded 4 years later.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an unusual indication of a bad battery some years ago in my fiver. It contained two 12 volt batteries connected in parallel (typical wet cell types).

For some unknown reason the propane leak detector kept going off for no apparent reason. Upon checking both coach batteries I discovered one was essentially dead. Replacing that battery stopped the propane detector from misbehaving.

I’m not sure why the propane detector was going off, but possibly it wasn’t receiving the proper voltage because of the bad battery and maybe the remaining good battery had become marginal. Anyway, there were no further problems after the replacement.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my 5th wheel it had two 6 volt golf cart batteries that were dead. I replaced them with the same type of batteries. After seven years I decided that I should have more battery power so I bought four 6 volt golf cart batteries, that was five years ago and I expect to get another three - five years out of them.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

grizz272 wrote:

How often do you replace the fifth-wheel dual batteries.
This will be the fourth yr for out camper. In previous campers I was never able to get more that 2 yrs before I replaced the original dealer batteries.

What is the go to battery for a fifth-wheel?

depends how much you discharge them and how well you maintain them. I have four 6V GC batteries and just finaly changed them after 14 years. last year they were showing some signs of needing to be changed so this year I did it. but I have a high quality charger, only normaly use about 30-40% of the capacity or less, top up with water 4 times a year and so on. also they were high quality batteries. I bought cheep ones to replace them so I am only expecting 5 to 8 years out of these ones, but I will be switching over to LiFePo4 well before then.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> BAttery replacement.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.