RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: BAttery replacement.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> BAttery replacement.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the bank is meeting your needs why replace it?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

grizz272

frozen tundra, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked the fifthwheel up from the dealer today. They did some work in March and left the battery disconnect on. Well when they brought the camper out the batteries were completely dead. As in no power and not even a light would work.
The dealer plugged the camper in and after about 1/2 hr there was enough power the landing gear would raise the camper up high enough I could hitch up. By the time I arrived home there was a 1/4 charge showing. That is the first time that I know of that the batteries were completely dead. We do boondock and have had the batteries get low before but never dead. They are maintenance free batteries. So I can't check water levels.
I generally try to replace stuff like batteries and tires before they fail.

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, how you care for your batteries has a lot to do with longevity. If you drain them well below 50% SOC, they won't last as long (FLA and AGM). If your charger isn't a 'smart' charger, they won't last as long. If you use regular 'car' batteries, they won't last as long.

You can get good FLA from Sam's or Costco for about $1/AHr (6v GC, had on last 5er), I'd expect those to last 5-6yr+ if treated well. For about $3/AHr you can get Lifeline AGMs (no maintenance hassle, have on current 5er); expect those to last 10+yrs if treated well. Li batteries are lighter and can be discharged further without harm but also have some special charging requirements. I don't have experience with these *yet* but price keeps coming down, and is below $10/AHr now.

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got 9 years out of a pair of Sears DieHard Platinum AGM 12V marine batteries. Now on 2nd year with BatteriesPlus X2Power AGM batteries with 4 year full replacement warranty. Batteries are made by Northstar. I use a 4-stage charger by Progressive Dynamics. Good battery price, they had a $30 mail in rebate per battery plus a 10% online ordering discount.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a meter? Test them - charge them, then check every few days with no load to see if they are depleting. Then if that is good, put a small load on them and check to see if they are depleting too fast. If they are not holding a good charge, you should replace them if you want them to be reliable. You boondock, do you have a generator?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> BAttery replacement.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.