RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Black tank leaked. What to do?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Black tank leaked. What to do?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
COboondocker

United States

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So our black tank leaked on our last trip and cut it short. Planning on switching to a composting toilet so we just don't need to deal with the black tank at all any more but my question is do we need to replace the bottom of the camper? It's an Outfitter Juno 10 so the black tank was in the basement and the bottom is marine grade plywood. Everything dried out and doesn't have an odor any more but do we need to get it replaced? I'm assuming I'm not the first one this has happened to. [emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't replace it.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are familiar with composting toilets, waste disposal and operation and are happy, then I see no reason not to proceed.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

evidently not too much "stink" soaked into the marine grade plywood so I would think that a bunch of coats of KILZ might work. worked for my dining room floor where my cats (5) each claimed their territory.
bumpy

COboondocker

United States

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

evidently not too much "stink" soaked into the marine grade plywood so I would think that a bunch of coats of KILZ might work. worked for my dining room floor where my cats (5) each claimed their territory.
bumpy

There's no stink, and no apparent damage so I'm not sure if I even need the kilz, do I? Anyone know how to drop the bottom out of an Outfitter?

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's not rotted, no big deal. It shouldn't get worse unless you were to get it wet again for quite a while, and it sounds like you are eliminating (pun intended) that situation from happening.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not all that familiar with composting toilets... but if you are changing the method of throne, perhaps consider a cassette toilet?

I really liked that type on my past campers.

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d give Outfitter a call. They should be able to give instructions on how to take the floor off. I’m assuming they are still in business.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No rot no stink...it doesn't need to be replaced...unless you need to cut it out to remove the tank.

Unless you are trying to repurpose the space the tank sits in, you might just leave it if you were able to fully drain it.

We had a composter on our boat. For a full size RV (with functional tanks), I would not recommend it. For a truck camper with a small tank, it's a good option. Easier to deal with than a cassette, which we've used on rental RVs and the solids tank on ours could handle a month with 2 people using it. The big thing is the smell. Other than a slightly earthy garden smell when emptying, no smells. The urine can be disposed of in any toilet. The 2 gallon tank is easier to carry and pour than a cassette.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

COboondocker

United States

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

No rot no stink...it doesn't need to be replaced...unless you need to cut it out to remove the tank.

Unless you are trying to repurpose the space the tank sits in, you might just leave it if you were able to fully drain it.

We had a composter on our boat. For a full size RV (with functional tanks), I would not recommend it. For a truck camper with a small tank, it's a good option. Easier to deal with than a cassette, which we've used on rental RVs and the solids tank on ours could handle a month with 2 people using it. The big thing is the smell. Other than a slightly earthy garden smell when emptying, no smells. The urine can be disposed of in any toilet. The 2 gallon tank is easier to carry and pour than a cassette.

Thanks. Eventually I'd like to replace the black tank with a second fresh water tank but that can wait. Glad to hear your experience was overall positive. We don't have a dump site that is terribly convenient to our house, we frequently go winter camping and I hate dealing with the black tank during winter so I'm dead set on the composter. It literally cannot be any worse.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Black tank leaked. What to do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.