RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camco Trailer Aid did not aid at all

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

 > Camco Trailer Aid did not aid at all

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
lwbfl

Florida Panhandle

Full Member

Joined: 08/02/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/13/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ordered Goodyear tires for the Apex, decided I'd take the wheels / Castle Rocks off myself and take them to the shop. Pulled up on the Camco Trailer Aid and the tire didn't lift any at all. The shackles simply transferred the weight to the tire on the ground. So after 30 minutes of prep unhooking everything, swapping hitches, hooking up, moving twice, removing RV hitch from truck....I got out the trusty jacks and two spare tires. 30 minutes later I was done removing all four tires the old fashioned way. One spare on each side, one jack under the front springs. Sometimes it pays to trust your instincts and not the sales pitch LOL!


1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71
2021 Coachmen Apex 253RLS



dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/13/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lwbfl wrote:

I ordered Goodyear tires for the Apex, decided I'd take the wheels / Castle Rocks off myself and take them to the shop. Pulled up on the Camco Trailer Aid and the tire didn't lift any at all. The shackles simply transferred the weight to the tire on the ground. So after 30 minutes of prep unhooking everything, swapping hitches, hooking up, moving twice, removing RV hitch from truck....I got out the trusty jacks and two spare tires. 30 minutes later I was done removing all four tires the old fashioned way. One spare on each side, one jack under the front springs. Sometimes it pays to trust your instincts and not the sales pitch LOL!


Yep. Those only work on the torsion type axles.


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/28/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/13/21 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Trailer Aid Plus I have worked on my 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB. It had 3500# tandem axles. They definitely were not Torsion axles.

dodge guy wrote:

lwbfl wrote:

I ordered Goodyear tires for the Apex, decided I'd take the wheels / Castle Rocks off myself and take them to the shop. Pulled up on the Camco Trailer Aid and the tire didn't lift any at all. The shackles simply transferred the weight to the tire on the ground. So after 30 minutes of prep unhooking everything, swapping hitches, hooking up, moving twice, removing RV hitch from truck....I got out the trusty jacks and two spare tires. 30 minutes later I was done removing all four tires the old fashioned way. One spare on each side, one jack under the front springs. Sometimes it pays to trust your instincts and not the sales pitch LOL!


Yep. Those only work on the torsion type axles.



Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

lwbfl

Florida Panhandle

Full Member

Joined: 08/02/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/13/21 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:



Yep. Those only work on the torsion type axles.


I'm not sure about that, the ad literally shows leaf springs like my setup. According to the manufacture, I need the extra 1.5 inches from the "plus" model and a flat tire LOL!

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/13/21 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I have both incase the other is just hype.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/13/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one time I have ever used mine, (I had the "plus" model), it got the wheel with the flat (actually shredded) tire up high enough to remove the wheel. It was not high enough to put a good tire on until I put a standard car jack under the axle and raised it a few inches.


Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB


lwbfl

Florida Panhandle

Full Member

Joined: 08/02/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/13/21 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

The one time I have ever used mine, (I had the "plus" model), it got the wheel with the flat (actually shredded) tire up high enough to remove the wheel. It was not high enough to put a good tire on until I put a standard car jack under the axle and raised it a few inches.


That's pretty much what the rep said would happen.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/13/21 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Camco Trailer Aid did not aid at all

Bet'cher glad you weren't on the road in DFW rush hour traffic and had a flat tire on I-35 inner loop....or on a dark and lonely state hiway 52 miles from the nearest small town. Pre ops required before hitting the road.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/13/21 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is why it is a good idea to do a tire change test to ensure you have the correct equipment and the correct approach to changing a tire on the road.
It's all fun and games in your driveway. But on the side of the interstate is no time to find out your not properly prepared/equipped


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/14/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve used the Trailer Aid several times and had no problem. Standard 3500# axles. Others have reported it doesn’t lift high enough, also. Maybe it’s the spring packs, equalizers, or space between tires.
As stated, it is best to try your system at home first.


Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

 > Camco Trailer Aid did not aid at all
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.